ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas Sirk transferring from Duke

Graduate transfer, can play right away. Looks like he wouldn't have been #1 anyways.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/oft...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Yeah, Daniel Jones was actually pretty good last year (especially for his first year as full-time starter).

Given that Sirk wasn't cleared to go through spring ball this year, my guess is that Cutcliffe told him the job was Jones' to lose come fall and Sirk decided to transfer. Pretty unusual for a kid to apply for and get a sixth year only to transfer.

Yeah, Daniel Jones was actually pretty good last year (especially for his first year as full-time starter).

Given that Sirk wasn't cleared to go through spring ball this year, my guess is that Cutcliffe told him the job was Jones' to lose come fall and Sirk decided to transfer. Pretty unusual for a kid to apply for and get a sixth year only to transfer.

Tough break for the kid. Two serious injuries and gets no thanks from Duke. So much for not losing your job due to injury!

What should we expect from Duke this year? I really do not pay much attention to the ACC, even though I live ACC territory. Any need to worry about this early road test?

Haven't really done much research yet, but I am pretty sure the short answer is "no, but with the typical 'it's Northwestern and a road game' caveats."

We're talking about a 4-8 (1-7) ACC team with significant graduation losses on both sides of the ball, particularly the OL (2 new starters), DL (AJ Wolf is gone, who I thought was their only decent DL), and DBs (Singleton, McCarthy, Borders all gone). Looks like Duke also dismissed two more DL.

We are going to kick their butts. Hopefully a bunch of us from the board will be in attendance. Hopefully it will not be as hot as the last time

Reactions: NUMBfan
Three torn Achilles? I question his judgement and the advice he is getting from doctor's about his decision to want to continue to play football.

Can't imagine playing after three. I had one, and that was bad enough. And Persa wasn't the same player after his Achilles injury.

I remember NU recruited him and I think we were a little disappointed in his choice. That is a difficult injury. Wish him the best.

I remember NU recruited him and I think we were a little disappointed in his choice. That is a difficult injury. Wish him the best.

I think that might be the margaritas talking... don't recall NU ever being connected to Sirk, even though we didn't take a 2012 QB.

Fitz..phile. I care about you, dude. Here's a prescription to help with that ISU obsession.

https://www.dhamma.org/en/about/vipassana

-

I need it. Unfortunately,

"There are three steps to the training. The first step is, for the period of the course, to abstain from killing, stealing, sexual activity, speaking falsely, and intoxicants."

I cannot give up at least 2 of those.......

Reactions: SciCat
Thank God for the misting tents
I live in North Carolina, and NU's last two games at Duke were the most unbearably hot athletic events I have ever attended. And for different reasons. One game (2008?) was at night just after a tropical storm had skirted the coast. The humidity was unbelievable, even by N.C. standards. By contrast, the sun was the culprit in 2015. I actually think the 2008 night game was more uncomfortable.

Reactions: NUMBfan
2015 was hot, but fine if you kept hydrating. I thought that game was a blast. Loved Vault's kickoff return and Warren Long's burst through the line.

I live in North Carolina, and NU's last two games at Duke were the most unbearably hot athletic events I have ever attended. And for different reasons. One game (2008?) was at night just after a tropical storm had skirted the coast. The humidity was unbelievable, even by N.C. standards. By contrast, the sun was the culprit in 2015. I actually think the 2008 night game was more uncomfortable.

Where do you live? I'm in Winston-Salem......

Tough break for the kid. Two serious injuries and gets no thanks from Duke. So much for not losing your job due to injury!
He will have his degree. If the injuries restricted his ability to play enough that he is not on the two deep, what would you expect Duke to do?

I agree with you about the 2008 game, which I thought was worse than the very warm UNLV game of 2001. I remember the defense being on the field a lot in the fourth quarter of the 2008 game, and I was afraid they'd crack, but they held on for the W. That one was a credit to conditioning and the training staff.

I like when Cutcliffe sent him out there and said "Sirk, do the play"

I was pretty impressed with Sirk. A big experienced guy would not be the worst thing.

I was pretty impressed with Sirk. A big experienced guy would not be the worst thing.

Why would Sirk have any interest in coming to NU, where a third-year starter with NFL-level skills is backed up by a 5th year guy who's been in the system his entire career?

Why would Sirk have any interest in coming to NU, where a third-year starter with NFL-level skills is backed up by a 5th year guy who's been in the system his entire career?
Moreover, Duke excluded from its transfer release all schools that Duke will play in 2017--including NU. Simply not an option anyway.

Moreover, Duke excluded from its transfer release all schools that Duke will play in 2017--including NU. Simply not an option anyway.

Interesting... thought he would transfer under the grad transfer rule, but guess that's not the case.

I recall seeing the exclusion in a press report, which appears to be confirmed by the official Duke site linked below. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211505890

No you're absolutely correct. I read it there as well once you mentioned it. Seems odd to me that he is asking for/received a release rather than use the grad transfer rule.

Maybe there's an issue with going that route because he already has/will have a Master's? An issue with the medical hardship scenario? I don't know how that works, honestly.

No you're absolutely correct. I read it there as well once you mentioned it. Seems odd to me that he is asking for/received a release rather than use the grad transfer rule.

Maybe there's an issue with going that route because he already has/will have a Master's? An issue with the medical hardship scenario? I don't know how that works, honestly.
It is a weird situation. My guess is getting the sixth year for medical hardship makes the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT