ADVERTISEMENT

Thorsen

xxjfgxx

Jan 7, 2012
I'm sure Thorsen is a nice kid and he certainly "looks" the part, but he is an aweful QB. He has proven to be terribly inaccurate and is a poor decision making. He also looks bigger and slower this season. Any other staff would have sat the kid and given others a chance. For gods sake, what do they have to lose by giving another kid a chance? These are scholarship athletes who I assume we're recruited because they could play, so let's see if they can play.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
You have no idea what you are talking about. First of all it's Thorson, not Thorsen. If you want to have any credibility, at least take the time to know what the player's name is. Secondly, Thorson if so far from our biggest problem. Sure, he is not a finished product and has a lot to improve on but how can you criticize the kid when he is out there running for his life and most of the players around him are giving him NO HELP. If we were Alabama and Thorson was playing like he is now, I think the criticism would be justified. But criticizing Thorson is like turning down a Porsche because you want a Ferrari when you are currently driving a Yugo.

Was "aweful" a typo or clever misdirection actually complementary of Clayton (as in "full of awe")?

Thorson may be disappointing and underachieving up to this point, but he's not as disappointing and underachieving as most of the rest of the team.

You have no idea what you are talking about. First of all it's Thorson, not Thorsen. If you want to have any credibility, at least take the time to know what the player's name is. Secondly, Thorson if so far from our biggest problem. Sure, he is not a finished product and has a lot to improve on but how can you criticize the kid when he is out there running for his life and most of the players around him are giving him NO HELP. If we were Alabama and Thorson was playing like he is now, I think the criticism would be justified. But criticizing Thorson is like turning down a Porsche because you want a Ferrari when you are currently driving a Yugo.
A very troubling fact is that Alviti looked better than Thorson and he couldn't even see the field for two seasons.

I'm sure Thorsen is a nice kid and he certainly "looks" the part, but he is an aweful QB. He has proven to be terribly inaccurate and is a poor decision making. He also looks bigger and slower this season. Any other staff would have sat the kid and given others a chance. For gods sake, what do they have to lose by giving another kid a chance? These are scholarship athletes who I assume we're recruited because they could play, so let's see if they can play.

Thorson is near the bottom of concerns I have with the O. For a series in the second half, he basically had to run every play because no one was anywhere near open. I'd love to see what he could do with average o line play and semi competent play calling.

You have no idea what you are talking about. First of all it's (insert current quarterbacks name) not (insert current quarterbacks name). If you want to have any credibility, at least take the time to know what the player's name is. Secondly, (insert current quarterbacks name)is so far from our biggest problem. Sure, he is not a finished product and has a lot to improve on but how can you criticize the kid when he is out there running for his life and most of the players around him are giving him NO HELP. If we were(insert current top ranked program) and (insert current quarterbacks name) was playing like he is now, I think the criticism would be justified. But criticizing (insert current quarterbacks name) is like turning down a Porsche because you want a Ferrari when you are currently driving a Yugo. Deja vu all over again.

I'm a big believer in trying someone else if the guy you have is obviously not getting the job done. At least with the new guy, you have some hope. Alviti was said to be much improved in the Spring. This idea that the coaches know best and are infallible is pure bull. Especially when it comes to QB personnel decisions. You know why? Exhibit 1: The Brewfka experiment while CJ Bacher sat on the bench. Fitz didn't even know who was going to start until the day before when CJ came in and completely transformed our offense. Exhibit 2: The Colter travesty. Playing a WR when your best QB (an NFL starter at that) sat on the bench. I'm sorry, but I simply don't trust this staff's judgment when it comes to QB personnel.

The fact that Thorson's biggest remaining supporters are the same people who still think Colter was the right QB for NU pretty much says it all. Don't sweat it - they said the same thing about not understanding football when they insisted Colter should start over an NFL starter. Somehow, they are the ones that understand football and the QB position and not John Elway or Gary Kubiak. Thorson may have "the tools" to one day be great, but he isn't there yet. And this notion that you keep him in there until he gets it to give him more reps isn't fair to the others on the team who want to win now. Try Alviti or someone else, and see what we have. Maybe nothing. Maybe something. If we don't, I'll tell you what we have - craptasticism. Thorson makes Colter look like a real QB. What do we have to lose?

Reactions: TerraCat
Thorson hasn't been the major problem so far. It would be better if he was more instinctual on when to run. Looks like he only starts running when the coach says it's OK now. A few runs would be a big help. Also, a pet peeve, he almost always rolls to the right when under pressure. Yesterday, I noticed he tried to break that tendency. Lastly, he isn't stretching the field - coaching, receivers, lack of skill - take your pick. You are what you practice and NU is a dink and dunk team. IS was more successful connecting on the longer passes and it helped their offense a lot.

Alviti does look to be fitter this year. In previous years it looked like he was carrying the Freshman "10". Might not hurt to run him out on the field for a few series. Can't hurt.

You're a fool. THORSON can't hit the broad side of a barn. Any moron who watches the games can see that. He's an "athlete", not a polished QB. Just because Fitz is in love with him, doesn't make him a good QB! To win at this level (or higher) you need a QB that moves the offense "up", a QB that can win games for you when things aren't going well. I guy that can take the team down the field at crunch time. Does anyone really think THORSON is that guy? There are SIX (6) QB's on the roster, how are we going to find out if any of them can play if they don't a least get a look? What if Yates, Smith or Green can really play ? You want them to rot of the bench while THORSON gets all the playing time and the offense continues to look like shit? Give me a break !

I'm a big believer in trying someone else if the guy you have is obviously not getting the job done. At least with the new guy, you have some hope. Alviti was said to be much improved in the Spring. This idea that the coaches know best and are infallible is pure bull. Especially when it comes to QB personnel decisions. You know why? Exhibit 1: The Brewfka experiment while CJ Bacher sat on the bench. Fitz didn't even know who was going to start until the day before when CJ came in and completely transformed our offense. Exhibit 2: The Colter travesty. Playing a WR when your best QB (an NFL starter at that) sat on the bench. I'm sorry, but I simply don't trust this staff's judgment when it comes to QB personnel.

The fact that Thorson's biggest remaining supporters are the same people who still think Colter was the right QB for NU pretty much says it all. Don't sweat it - they said the same thing about not understanding football when they insisted Colter should start over an NFL starter. Somehow, they are the ones that understand football and the QB position and not John Elway or Gary Kubiak. Thorson may have "the tools" to one day be great, but he isn't there yet. And this notion that you keep him in there until he gets it to give him more reps isn't fair to the others on the team who want to win now. Try Alviti or someone else, and see what we have. Maybe nothing. Maybe something. If we don't, I'll tell you what we have - craptasticism. Thorson makes Colter look like a real QB. What do we have to lose?

The only reason Alviti would have any chance is he might be able to scramble out of the messes he would surely face. Any way you slice it, our OL is terrible and WR's not much better. We don't win the B1G with Cam Newton at QB if they keep playing this way.

You're a fool. THORSON can't hit the broad side of a barn. Any moron who watches the games can see that. He's an "athlete", not a polished QB. Just because Fitz is in love with him, doesn't make him a good QB! To win at this level (or higher) you need a QB that moves the offense "up", a QB that can win games for you when things aren't going well. I guy that can take the team down the field at crunch time. Does anyone really think THORSON is that guy? There are SIX (6) QB's on the roster, how are we going to find out if any of them can play if they don't a least get a look? What if Yates, Smith or Green can really play ? You want them to rot of the bench while THORSON gets all the playing time and the offense continues to look like shit? Give me a break !

You can rant and rave all you want. Your criticism is just not consistent with the performance that is taking place on the field. Time to pick up copy of Football for Dummies!

I am your average Joe-moron who watches the games. But if Thorson can hit a rapidly moving 6'x'2 object, I'd have to think he can also hit a 30'x20' side of a stationary barn, especially one that's painted red and has no cows in front of it to break up the pass.

The fact that Thorson's biggest remaining supporters are the same people who still think Colter was the right QB for NU pretty much says it all. Don't sweat it - they said the same thing about not understanding football when they insisted Colter should start over an NFL starter.

I am a Thorson supporter and I agreed with you about Colter/Siemian, so

I don't see how you can blame the quarterback when he has no time to throw and no go-to wide receivers, especially when he is forced to pass most every down because the run game can't get anything going.

I'm not saying Thorson is perfect but blaming him for a lack of the passing game is like blaming Justin Jackson for the lack of the running game.

What do we have to lose? How about our dignity. Right now we are losing but at least we have a chance. Take Thorson out and replace him with any of our backups and we will get destroyed. Complete humiliation. I have no doubt about that. Is that what you want?

Last edited:
Thorson has now run for his life for the 15th game in a row.

He's not playing football. He's the guy with the ball in that old kids' game of "Kill the Guy..." (formerly known as something else).

What do we have to lose? How about our dignity. Right now we are losing but at least we have a chance. Take Thorson out and replace him with any of our backups and we will get destroyed. Complete humiliation. I have no doubt about that. Is that what you want?
If after these two loses , you don't feel NU has lost it's dignity. Well guess we will wait until Nebraska, OSU, MSU, Wisconsin and Iowa games you will. maybe even after next week and surely after a loss to the illini.

If after these two loses , you don't feel NU has lost it's dignity. Well guess we will wait until Nebraska, OSU, MSU, Wisconsin and Iowa games you will. maybe even after next week and surely after a loss to the illini.

We are embarrassed but have not lost our dignity or hope. At least I have not. I still believe we have a chance to make something decent out of this season and create a building block for next season. If, as some are advocating, we panic and start throwing stuff on a wall to see what sticks, then I think things can get really ugly. Try starting and playing any of our other QBs and see what happens in a game. Think the Tennessee game except apply that to every game left on our schedule. How big of a setback would our program incur if we lost to Illinois by 4 TDs?

We are embarrassed but have not lost our dignity or hope. At least I have not. I still believe we have a chance to make something decent out of this season and create a building block for next season. If, as some are advocating, we panic and start throwing stuff on a wall to see what sticks, then I think things can get really ugly. Try starting and playing any of our other QBs and see what happens in a game. Think the Tennessee game except apply that to every game left on our schedule. How big of a setback would our program incur if we lost to Illinois by 4 TDs?
Well if we haven't lost our dignity after losing to a so-so FCS team, that had never before beaten a Big Ten school doesn't do that for you, I guess 0-12 might. After watching last Saturday's games, thinking that Illinois could easily beat NU by 4 or more.

The only reason Alviti would have any chance is he might be able to scramble out of the messes he would surely face. Any way you slice it, our OL is terrible and WR's not much better. We don't win the B1G with Cam Newton at QB if they keep playing this way.
I agree with this. It is somewhat ironic that some of the same folks who criticized Fitz for playing Colter over Siemian for precisely this reason are now advocating doing the same thing with Alviti over Thorson. Now, I'll admit that many Thorson supporters who also supported the dual QB scenario a few years ago can also be accused of inconsistency. The bottom line is that playing Alviti now, just like playing Colter then, is treating the symptom rather than the illness. We absolutely have to address the OL woes that have plagued this team for several years. Although the WRs have looked slightly improved to me this year, they remain a problem as well. Changing the QB will do nothing about those underlying problems.

There are many problems with this team. Clayton Thorson is about #256. He is showing expected improvement from his Freshman to his Sophomore season.

Yes, he could stand to be more consistent, but I challenge any QB we've had in recent years to be consistent in launch angle, release point and footwork when the world is collapsing around him within a second of the snap.

I agree with this. It is somewhat ironic that some of the same folks who criticized Fitz for playing Colter over Siemian for precisely this reason are now advocating doing the same thing with Alviti over Thorson. Now, I'll admit that many Thorson supporters who also supported the dual QB scenario a few years ago can also be accused of inconsistency. The bottom line is that playing Alviti now, just like playing Colter then, is treating the symptom rather than the illness. We absolutely have to address the OL woes that have plagued this team for several years. Although the WRs have looked slightly improved to me this year, they remain a problem as well. Changing the QB will do nothing about those underlying problems.

No inconsistency. Just reaching a conclusion based on the circumstances in place at the time.

Reactions: 60657Cat
No inconsistency. Just reaching a conclusion based on the circumstances in place at the time.
True. Colter was by far our best playmaker with his feet and could complete 70% of his dink-and-dunk passes--nothing to sneeze at. While Alviti is reputed to be a good runner, I doubt that his overall skill set is equal to Colter's.

Reactions: YesterdaysCat

I hate to break it to you, but our offense couldn't be much worse right now. We scored 7 on an FCS team. And we have already been completely humiliated.

Reactions: Fitz51
You can rant and rave all you want. Your criticism is just not consistent with the performance that is taking place on the field. Time to pick up copy of Football for Dummies!

Would that be the book that told you that Colter was the right QB for the NU system and to keep an NFL Starting QB on the bench? Very telling.

Whatever that book is, seems like Fitz and McCall swear by it.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Would that be the book that told you that Colter was the right QB for the NU system and to keep an NFL Starting QB on the bench? Very telling.

Whatever that book is, seems like Fitz and McCall swear by it.

You should be reading Football for Dummies as well. Perhaps it would have helped you figure out that Kafka was going to be a very good QB instead of a train wreck as you described him, it would explain once and for all why NU's offense under Colter was more productive than with Trevor regardless of what Trevor has done with the Broncos, and it is the book that will explain why making a panicked QB change right now would be exactly the wrong move to make. Start with that take a couple of Prozacs and then come back to have a rational conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: chariots

What QBs who have played for us in the last 10 years did you believe were good quarterbacks? Just curious.

facepalm.jpg

E, your Exhibit 1 is a fabrication. I don't know if you are unaware of the facts or just ignoring them to defend your position. Bacher was on the bench for the first half of the 2006 season because he was hurt. It wasn't a "personnel decision." Bacher had a stress fracture and wasn't even medically cleared to play until the end of September, during Week 5 of the season. Then it took some time to get him back into shape. He made his first appearance against Purdue in Week 7 and then started against MSU in Week 8.

IMO, your Exhibit 2 is also disingenuous. "Playing a WR when your best QB (an NFL starter at that) sat on the bench." He wasn't languishing on the bench, holding a clipboard. He was Quarterback 1B, splitting time. The guy threw for 3,400+ yards in 2012 and 2013, when Colter was starting. I'd say that the arrangement worked out extremely well in 2012, not so much in 2013. But my larger point is that I don't think you are honestly assessing those offenses; you are more concerned with making your conclusion fit into your pre-conceived argument. Just because Trevor is a starter in the NFL doesn't automatically mean he was the better QB for that offense. Tom Brady split time in college, too.

You should be reading Football for Dummies as well. Perhaps it would have helped you figure out that Kafka was going to be a very good QB instead of a train wreck as you described him, it would explain once and for all why NU's offense under Colter was more productive than with Trevor regardless of what Trevor has done with the Broncos, and it is the book that will explain why making a panicked QB change right now would be exactly the wrong move to make. Start with that take a couple of Prozacs and then come back to have a rational conversation.

Spare me. I never said Kafka was not going to be a very good QB. I said Kafka as a redshirt freshman wasn't one yet. Thorson could be like Kafka. He could as a 5th year senior be a great QB (I've even acknowledged he has potential). He just isn't a very good one today.

Please just stop it. Your right to criticize anyone, even a dummy like me, on their ability to evaluate QB's or suggest that anyone else is unready for a rational conversation went away when you basically insisted (and continue to insist) that Colter was a better QB (for our offense) than NFL starter Trevor Siemian.

This board is full of people who think they know something about football and scoff at the rest of us from their high horses even though they know no more than the rest of us. You are the worst of the lot.

I am your average Joe-moron who watches the games. But if Thorson can hit a rapidly moving 6'x'2 object, I'd have to think he can also hit a 30'x20' side of a stationary barn, especially one that's painted red and has no cows in front of it to break up the pass.
Not with our Offensive Line he can't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT