ADVERTISEMENT

Thorson with nice game

TheC

May 29, 2001
14-19 for 128 yards, no turnovers, 2 rushing TDs. He was steady and made the plays he had to make. He should have had a TD pass. I really don't know how they can overturn the call on the field. He clearly had his forearm underneath the ball so there was no clear shot showing the ball hitting the ground. I don't recall any throws that had me cringing about near interceptions. He delivered balls all over the field in tough conditions and showed some nice touch at times.

As for what Thorson needs to work on... there were multiple opportunities for him to step up in the pocket to buy himself more time and he failed to do it. This is a nitpicky point and shows where he is in his development, but if he can add that to his game, he will quickly become a real weapon. I am feeling more confident in this offense. Today really cements home the fact that this is a good team. Oh boy... hang on folks!!

Today really cements home the fact that this is a good team. Oh boy... hang on folks!!
After answering all of the questions this week about "October", the Cats come out with a game like this. This puts an exclamation point on the fact that this team is DIFFERENT.

14-19 for 128 yards, no turnovers, 2 rushing TDs. He was steady and made the plays he had to make. He should have had a TD pass...I am feeling more confident in this offense. Today really cements home the fact that this is a good team. Oh boy... hang on folks!!
Agree that CT had a good outing against a D that, at least on paper, is/was solid....Also, I do not remember any extremely ill-advised throw (say into heavy coverage, or under other circumstances that made the throw extremely risky).

I believe the TD should have counted. However, it is a bit of a stretch to "credit" that TD to CT...it would still have been a circus catch, that in the vast majority of cases falls incomplete (especially by a RB!)...that is, we cannot count on that type of catch to be made on a regular basis.

As for the O overall, it was still a very modest production. Out of the 27 pts, 7 were by the D, and "almost" another 7 were by ST (the O just made one play to convert a long punt return)...that leaves only 13 net O pts...you could add 4 more for the bad call reversal, but again, such a circus catch will not normally be made, anyway. 13 pts or even 17 is quite low in the B1G.... I suspect against most B1G teams, it would be a tall order for the D to hold the opponent under 13 or even 17 pts. More O production is needed.

What I really liked was the way he has gotten better at leading the receivers and throwing it where only our guy could catch it. He threw a bunch of those today and it was quite impressive. It shows that he has caught up to the speed of the game and that he's throwing the ball instead of steering the ball.

Reactions: hollandnucat
Feli. You can't say the O could only put up 13 points. They managed the clock at the end. A 27 to 0 win is dominating. If you want to nit pick this I feel sorry for you.

Reactions: NUMBfan
I was content today with Thorson game.
Niswander had an excellent performance and VanHoose had his best game yet.

I think Williams from Ball State was an excellent Receiver.
We have to accept that the Cats just had a bad game against Ball State. They are getting hammered by Toledo today, Toledo has a good team this year but the Cats that played today were very different from last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT