ADVERTISEMENT

THOUGTS FWIW

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
1. Really kept thinking how the portal transfer hurt us this year. A program that depends on development cannot afford to lose players it has worked hard to develop. When Anthony Tyus left no one was too concerned but last night showed how important depth is and not only at running back but at wide receiver and Oline. If we are going to be a developmental program we must hold on to the players we develop. If Proebe had stayed, if Sullivan had stayed, if Heard, Hollis, Tyus, Gill had all stayed we would be significantly better. Not that the portal transfer system has let us grab a couple of players but I think we are an overall loss in that area. Was NIL the reason?
2. Really disappointed in Lausch. Was really excited and optimistic after the 2nd half of EIU. Back to chicken and egg questions. Looked like he had time to hit passes but held on to the ball too long, threw bad passes, receivers dropped passes. But was it lack of running game? Receivers not open, poor oline play? He seemed to scramble to open areas but receivers did not get open or catch ball.
3. Specifically I did not think Calvin Johnson or Kamalofe were close to physical enough for B10 ball. Kamlofe just does not hit the hole hard.
4. We did not have a receiver the equal of Butler, the qb Rogers or the equal of 3 of their running backs.
5. Lujan was thought to be creative but had offenses that made their money on the running game....how did we go into the season w/o having beefed up that room? Did we try?
6. On the positive side we continue to do many things fundamentally correct and see improvement in several areas, DLINE and Oline play has been better than expected, the young secondary is doing ok although it limits what we can do I believe on defense .
7. Moving forward, even when Cam Porter is back I think we need to get another back into the rotation.
8. I am already moving into familiar territory where any win will be celebrated but now looking for how young players develop and give us hope for next year and accept a win over Illinois will get me through a cold winter.........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.