ADVERTISEMENT

Tiebreaker questions

PURPLECAT88

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
So Maryland wrapped up the three seed. The Minny-Wis winner gets the 2. If we beat Purdue we root for Minny because we have the tiebreaker against Wis, but what if we lose to Purdue? Then we're 10-8. So is MSU and maybe Mich and Iowa. We lose a tiebreaker to MSU, but what if it's a 3- or 4-way tie. Is it possible we could sink below 6? That's a big deal because 6 plays a tired team who played the day before while 7 and 8 play an equally well-rested 9 and 10.

At this point, I'd rather be the 5 seed in the BTT. That would mean a potential game in the QF vs. #4 Minnesota. I think we would fare better against them than vs. Wisky, who we would be slated against if we bag the 4 seed. Though the extra day of rest wouldn't hurt, I think Wisky plays better vs us the second time.

Have to get by Purdue first...

So Maryland wrapped up the three seed. The Minny-Wis winner gets the 2. If we beat Purdue we root for Minny because we have the tiebreaker against Wis, but what if we lose to Purdue? Then we're 10-8. So is MSU and maybe Mich and Iowa. We lose a tiebreaker to MSU, but what if it's a 3- or 4-way tie. Is it possible we could sink below 6? That's a big deal because 6 plays a tired team who played the day before while 7 and 8 play an equally well-rested 9 and 10.
According to vegas, we will be in a 4 way tie. According to BT rules, we have the tie breaker since we are 2-1 against opponents. So, i guess we pull for iowa and michigan if we lose. Imo we will beat purdue and wisconsin will lose to the hottest team in the BT. Thus, we get the double bye if we win and wisconsin loses.

Reactions: willycat
Minnesota is much better than WIS.
The only decent team they've beaten during their streak is Maryland, and they needed double OT to beat Io_a at home. I think we fare better against them the 2nd time around. Think Wisky will have something to prove tomorrow too. Have to take care of our business first, though.

According to vegas, we will be in a 4 way tie. According to BT rules, we have the tie breaker since we are 2-1 against opponents. So, i guess we pull for iowa and michigan if we lose. Imo we will beat purdue and wisconsin will lose to the hottest team in the BT. Thus, we get the double bye if we win and wisconsin loses.
I think you are wrong. If NU, MSU, IOA and Mich finish with identical 10-8 records (which would happen if the favorite wins every remaining match), MSU would have the tie breaker with a 3-1 record among these teams (beat NU/IOA, split with Mich). NU would come 2nd in this group, with a 2-1 record (having lost to MSU).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT