ADVERTISEMENT

Tiebreaking rules

Interesting to note that we are an afterthought to IOA fans in this thread
I think that's just because they're trying to game how they can get back ahead of Wisconsin since they already lost to them.

Can't really gauge Northwestern or Purdue scenarios because we haven't played...

Reality is head-to-head typically controls these scenarios.

Totally agree. It's no disrespect to Northwestern or Purdue, we just haven't played you guys yet. What I will say is, I think any of the top 4 (Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Purdue) can hold their own in the championship game against the East! Best of luck cats, I think it's a 1 score game either way this weekend against Wisconsin.
NW 23
Wisconsin 20

I think that's just because they're trying to game how they can get back ahead of Wisconsin since they already lost to them.

Can't really gauge Northwestern or Purdue scenarios because we haven't played...

Reality is head-to-head typically controls these scenarios.

I read the Iowa board the same way. They were looking at what it takes to win the west for them given their loss to WIsconsin. They are the only team that does not control their own destiny. Of the four teams, we have the weakest schedule going forward, but we have not been consistent. Given our performance against Akron, Nebraska, and Rutgers, it is easy for someone to say we are behind the other teams because we have done poorly against the "weak" teams. With that said, we lost by 3 to Michigan, beat Michigan State and beat Purdue, so based on our games against "strong" teams, we would be the biggest threat in the west.

Basically, we don’t want to get in any tie-breakers as we would lose most of them. For us, the best outcome this weekend is to see Penn State beat Iowa, Michigan State beat Purdue, and have us victorious. That would give us breathing room. But things are so close between the four teams that it no fanbase can believe they have it easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
I read the Iowa board the same way. They were looking at what it takes because they lost to WIsconsin. In reality, if they beat PSU, they need us, PSU, or Purdue to beat WIsconsin and they would have to win out. If they lose, they need Wisconsin to also lose to PSU and then us or Purdue to beat Wisconsin and for them to win out. Of the four teams, we have the weakest schedule going forward, but we have not been consistent, so I doubt if anyone outside of NU see us as a clear cut choice to win the west. Given our performance against Akron, Nebraska, and Rutgers, it is easy for someone to say we are behind the other teams because we have done poorly against the "weak" teams. With that said, we lost by 3 to Michigan, beat Michigan State and beat Purdue, so based on our games against "strong" teams, we would be the biggest threat in the west.

Basically, we don’t want to get in any tie-breakers as we would lose most of them. For us, the best outcome this weekend is to see Penn State beat Iowa, Michigan State beat Purdue, and have us victorious. That would give us breathing room. But things are so close between the four teams that it no fanbase can believe they have it easy.

We can solve that for ourselves over the next three weeks.

Reactions: ricko654321
I'm saying the obvious out loud, but THIS WEEKEND'S GAME IS KEY
As they say, we control our own destiny. I doubt Fitz will have any trouble getting the team motivated to play on Saturday. They should know what's in front of them. These types of games are why you choose to come to a Big 10 school. Should be a physical game, a rockfight. Controlling the LOS, turnover, and big plays in the passing game will determine the outcome.

I can just continue writing self-evident things...

Anyways, I'm pumped for the game on Saturday!

Go Cats

This is listed as the first tiebreaker ( if there are three tied teams) on the big ten’s website:

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.

Does that mean overall record is compared amongst the three teams, i.e. including non-conference record? Or just conference record? Because if non-con is included we could never top Iowa or Wisco.

The tiebreakers are listed here: https://bigten.org/news/2011/8/10/Big_Ten_Conference_Football_Divisional_Tiebreaker.aspx

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT