ADVERTISEMENT

Tim McGarigle headed home

Capacity at Stagg Field is 1,650. Right up your ally.

xue30jtstq33jo7p.jpg
And some nuclear waste to go along with it.

Could be. I have long thought McGarigle would be excellent as special teams coordinator for the 10th assistant.

I like McGarigle at LB and Bates at DB (heir apparent to Hank whom he has now worked with for 9 years). I like Genryk as the ST coordinator (and preferably new OL coach, while we stick Cushing as assistant to the OL coach, though we know that's not happening). Except we probably need a black coach to replace JB as the 10th guy. Maybe Ayeni?

Seeing that Hankwitz is about 70, I would venture to guess he may be here another 3-5 years. But I hope we are starting to groom a successor already.

We've been grooming a successor for the past 9 years. I think it's insane to think McGarigle would be ahead of Bates.

Yes, it was McGarigle. But come on, that was at least a dozen years ago and he was, what, in his early 20s? Give the guy a break. I did plenty of stupid things in college that I’m sure glad didn’t make it into the media.

+1. I minored in stupidity.

I think it's just a matter of time before someone in your "Triangle of Secrecy" breaks down and spills the beans. My bet is on Hungry Jack. :)
Considering that I spent more than a few Saturdays with shoulder in Lou's butt, my head wedged up against his thigh, and my hand pulling down on his chest (that is what happens when you are second row in a rugby scrum), I pretty much have rights to say what I please.

Reactions: lou v
Considering that I spent more than a few Saturdays with shoulder in Lou's butt, my head wedged up against his thigh, and my hand pulling down on his chest (that is what happens when you are second row in a rugby scrum), I pretty much have rights to say what I please.
Seeing as how I ignore anything written between parentheses, this is a very question-provoking post.

All the news reports I've seen call McGarigle Jerry Brown's replacement, and say coach #10 is yet to be named.

I think that's more a compliance/optics thing than anything else. The 10th assistant can't be technically hired until January 9, 2018. The media spin seems more like CYA from NU's compliance office rather than explicit confirmation that McGarigle will be "replacing" Brown.

I like McGarigle at LB and Bates at DB (heir apparent to Hank whom he has now worked with for 9 years). I like Genryk as the ST coordinator (and preferably new OL coach, while we stick Cushing as assistant to the OL coach, though we know that's not happening). Except we probably need a black coach to replace JB as the 10th guy. Maybe Ayeni?[/QUOTE
I think we need to appreciate the great work that Jerry Brown did for NU over a long career here. I have had the opportunity to talk with Jerry on many occasions and know that he is a fine gentleman who bleeds purple. He will be missed. As for Hank's eventual replacement, I mean no disrespect of Bates, but why is nobody mentioning Marty Long as a possible DC? The DL has arguably been our most productive and stable position in the last decade, and we have sent more DLs to the pros during that time than we have players from any other position. He has some pro experience (CFL) and has been a good recruiter. What am I missing?

I think we need to appreciate the great work that Jerry Brown did for NU over a long career here. I have had the opportunity to talk with Jerry on many occasions and know that he is a fine gentleman who bleeds purple. He will be missed. As for Hank's eventual replacement, I mean no disrespect of Bates, but why is nobody mentioning Marty Long as a possible DC? The DL has arguably been our most productive and stable position in the last decade, and we have sent more DLs to the pros during that time than we have players from any other position. He has some pro experience (CFL) and has been a good recruiter. What am I missing?

Good question. I assume Bates is the heir given that he was a DC at La Tech, and he has coached multiple defensive positions and successfully developed several NFL players at multiple stops prior to NU (the DBs I mentioned at La Tech and James Harrison from Kent State). But, who knows.

Having stability in the program is a key to success and creates a lineage to draw on for the future like in this case with TM.

“McGarigle is replacing Jerry Brown, who retired after 25 years of coaching NU defensive backs.“

Also like the notion of replacing one NU football alum with another on the coaching staff- keeping it in the NU family!

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Having stability in the program is a key to success and creates a lineage to draw on for the future like in this case with TM.

“McGarigle is replacing Jerry Brown, who retired after 25 years of coaching NU defensive backs.“

Also like the notion of replacing one NU football alum with another on the coaching staff- keeping it in the NU family!

Agreed...makes me hope Fitz and Philips are doing whatever it takes to get Ayeni to Evanston. Another highly regarded young coach whose career is ascending. Fingers crossed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT