ADVERTISEMENT

Too much negativity on this board

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
Shocked after winning 9 straight fans are already calling for heads.

I’ve been a fan of this program for almost twenty years. If you want to watch your team win every game become a Bama or OSU fan.

The football program is due for a bad year and I think we are going to see one based on the first two games.

I’ve been a fan of this program for almost twenty years. If you want to watch your team win every game become a Bama or OSU fan.

The football program is due for a bad year and I think we are going to see one based on the first two games.
Agree and disagree.
Yes, you win 9 in a row, more than any P5 team, losing one shouldn't put us totally off the rails.
No, this is not necessarily going to be a bad year. May not win 10 this season but there is no reason to think we won't at least go bowling. The team is not quite set yet and at NU that is a big deal because one of the biggest strengths of NU teams is playing with a clear head to the end. This QB situation is necessary but disruptive; mostly to the O but also to the D because it is discouraging to them as well. It is what it is and it throws off the timing and is discouraging. The whole team is playing with an injury when your QB is in and out all game. Too much hoping nothing goes wrong and not enough confidence that things will go right.
We should be able to beat Akron with the split QB plan, then a week off and hopefully CT will be 99% for Michigan. A win in that game is very possible and will lift the team. A loss and NU is still undefeated in the West.

"Bad" year with a senior QB who is an NFL prospect, a veteran o line, and plenty of talent on defense is tough to swallow. I think we all understand where the issues lie with this team.

But, keep in mind that this team started poorly last season and then reeled off eight straight. When you are a Cats fan, you live week to week.

I can take losing. What bothers me is the ineptitude on offense - scoring 7 points???

And it's not just one game. It's 13 years of inept OL play. X number years of mediocre at best WR play (excepting the walk-on Austin Carr) since Johns left. And the 13 years of mediocre offense since Dunbar left.

What more do we need to see before we start calling for heads?

I can take losing. What bothers me is the ineptitude on offense - scoring 7 points???

And it's not just one game. It's 13 years of inept OL play. X number years of mediocre at best WR play (excepting the walk-on Austin Carr) since Johns left. And the 13 years of mediocre offense since Dunbar left.

What more do we need to see before we start calling for heads?

OMG this is insane

The problem is that it's the SAME PROBLEMS YEAR AFTER YEAR

And please, the win streak was against some pretty weak teams. The bowl game win was after a questionable ejection of the star RB and if I remember correctly, their QB was injured (the same way we beat Pitt, their QB and RB were both out).

Every year we have a stout defense that makes excellent adjustments, a good running back and....horrific line play that can not protect the QB for more than a moment and WR that cant seem to get open and can't win any 50/50 balls

When the players change and the results don't it has to come down to coaching.

And our O-line is objectively bad, I know there are some people that say all O-lines suck all over the world, but we rank in the bottom 25% in QB hits, sacks etc.

Reactions: IGNORE2
OMG this is insane

The problem is that it's the SAME PROBLEMS YEAR AFTER YEAR

And please, the win streak was against some pretty weak teams. The bowl game win was after a questionable ejection of the star RB and if I remember correctly, their QB was injured (the same way we beat Pitt, their QB and RB were both out).

Every year we have a stout defense that makes excellent adjustments, a good running back and....horrific line play that can not protect the QB for more than a moment and WR that cant seem to get open and can't win any 50/50 balls

When the players change and the results don't it has to come down to coaching.

And our O-line is objectively bad, I know there are some people that say all O-lines suck all over the world, but we rank in the bottom 25% in QB hits, sacks etc.

Someone once said, the definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing (or continuing to rely on the same people) and expecting a different result.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Too much negativity HERE??? What about the negativity on the field in our 13th year of the great leap forward?

Surprising that a lot more fans aren't even more negative.

Someone once said, the definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing (or continuing to rely on the same people) and expecting a different result.
Gee! I haven't heard that before, at least for a couple of days. :)

Reactions: NU Houston

Did you think we were going to have a bad year after poor start last season? And, though I agree with you sentiment somewhat , this is an internet message board, wherre certain people come to vent and troll. It is just the nature of the beast.

Somehow, I don't think this is true for the fans of Bama, Clemson, OSU, or UTEP.

You should have perused the OSU fan boards after they got destroyed by Iowa last year. It was also very ugly among OSU fans after Oklahoma beat them down early in the 2017 season too. The sky is falling... The sky is falling...

Alabama fans went ballistic last year after their loss to Auburn that cost them a chance to play in the SEC title game.

Same deal for Clemson last year when a 4-8 Syracuse team knocked them off.

No fan base (in aggregate) ever gives their own team a mulligan. And the more successful a program, the more obnoxious the vitriol after a disappointing loss.

Fan negativity is preferred to fan apathy any day of the week (look at our own history or Illinois currently to see what a real disaster is, apathy is always the worst possibility).

That being said, there's more reasons to be optimistic than pessimistic about NU football in terms of both this season and the next couple of years.

The only teams in the Big Ten that look unbeatable for us this year are Ohio State and Penn State (and if we meet either it's in the championship game which would be a success no matter the outcome). Wisconsin will be favored against us, but they never beat you on sheer athleticism. We should be able to get to a bowl game and be in position to win one of the major spotlight home games.

Looking past this year we have Hunter Johnson and maybe heralded recruits like Bryce Kirtz and Zachary Franks can help raise the level of play of the units that have been our weakest for a while. And we should see a longer term uptick in recruiting as long as we keep making bowl games and have the new facility as a selling point.

Duke was always going to be a tough matchup for us after they dominated us on the lines last year and Jones and their WRs went wild. I had hoped we might keep it close and steal the game late but that obviously didn't happen.

There's no reason to think that the sky is falling on us though given we're likely to crush Akron and then get CT back at 100% for Michigan.

Did you think we were going to have a bad year after poor start last season? And, though I agree with you sentiment somewhat , this is an internet message board, wherre certain people come to vent and troll. It is just the nature of the beast.

I’ve been thinking about the whole trolling thing. And I think it cuts both ways. Folks here like to call posters trolls that are critical. And I think trolls are generally accepted as posters with little to offer to add insight or spur conversation.

Quite frankly, the koolaid klan are trolls. Just spitting out blind love and picking fights with those that want to discuss the ups AND downs. There consistent man love brings nothing insightful or discussable to the table.

My new phrase: the koolaid troll. Coming to a thread soon.

Reactions: willycat
Fan negativity is preferred to fan apathy any day of the week (look at our own history or Illinois currently to see what a real disaster is, apathy is always the worst possibility).

That being said, there's more reasons to be optimistic than pessimistic about NU football in terms of both this season and the next couple of years.

The only teams in the Big Ten that look unbeatable for us this year are Ohio State and Penn State (and if we meet either it's in the championship game which would be a success no matter the outcome). Wisconsin will be favored against us, but they never beat you on sheer athleticism. We should be able to get to a bowl game and be in position to win one of the major spotlight home games.

Looking past this year we have Hunter Johnson and maybe heralded recruits like Bryce Kirtz and Zachary Franks can help raise the level of play of the units that have been our weakest for a while. And we should see a longer term uptick in recruiting as long as we keep making bowl games and have the new facility as a selling point.

Duke was always going to be a tough matchup for us after they dominated us on the lines last year and Jones and their WRs went wild. I had hoped we might keep it close and steal the game late but that obviously didn't happen.

There's no reason to think that the sky is falling on us though given we're likely to crush Akron and then get CT back at 100% for Michigan.
We will beat the lowly Akron team and the koolaid trolls will roll out the I told you so. We will get beat by the MI team and they will tout undefeated in the West. After a few more losses, they will tout grad stats, ethics around the program, participation trophies while vigorously defending each of the coaches. And nothing will change. Next year, same coaches and maybe different results.

I’ve been thinking about the whole trolling thing. And I think it cuts both ways. Folks here like to call posters trolls that are critical. And I think trolls are generally accepted as posters with little to offer to add insight or spur conversation.

Quite frankly, the koolaid klan are trolls. Just spitting out blind love and picking fights with those that want to discuss the ups AND downs. There consistent man love brings nothing insightful or discussable to the table.

My new phrase: the koolaid troll. Coming to a thread soon.

troll2
trōl/
verb
gerund or present participle: trolling
  1. 1.
    informal
    make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
    "if people are obviously trolling then I'll delete your posts and do my best to ban you"
Not that I need to define this for you, you're quite adept at it.

Reactions: Fitz51
We will beat the lowly Akron team and the koolaid trolls will roll out the I told you so. We will get beat by the MI team and they will tout undefeated in the West. After a few more losses, they will tout grad stats, ethics around the program, participation trophies while vigorously defending each of the coaches. And nothing will change. Next year, same coaches and maybe different results.

A 2-1 start would mean “well, that’s probably about right with Thorson still coming back, hopefully we can ramp him up for B1G play.”

Honestly it looks like this year will start almost identically to last year. Season opening win, loss to Duke, third game blowout win over MAC team, and then two very tough conference games.

Obviously if this year ends like last year nobody will be complaining too much. Not sure how likely that is but you never know.

You mean like a person posting the same thing over and over again on an internet message board for nearly a decade in hopes that it somehow leads to a different result?

Honestly it looks like this year will start almost identically to last year. Season opening win, loss to Duke, third game blowout win over MAC team, and then two very tough conference games.

Obviously if this year ends like last year nobody will be complaining too much. Not sure how likely that is but you never know.

Two big differences:

1) Season opening win this year meant a lot more.

2) Get Wisconsin in late October, rather than at the very beginning of the conference slate. Would much rather take an early Big Ten loss to the Wolverines than the Badgers, for the sake of the West race.

Reactions: Styre
You mean like a person posting the same thing over and over again on an internet message board for nearly a decade in hopes that it somehow leads to a different result?
Isn’t that the point of a message board, until things actually change? Would you rather fans quit on the team and cheer for another team, like Alabama or dOSU?

Isn’t that the point of a message board, until things actually change? Would you rather fans quit on the team and cheer for another team, like Alabama or dOSU?

No, I’m just pointing out a certain pattern of behavior among some in the fan base also matches the text book definition of insanity as laid out by EvanstonCat in this thread.

They may do whatever they wish. It’s not my business what they do, nor do I really care.

Last edited:
No, I’m just pointing out the certain pattern of behavior among some in the fan base also matches the text book definition of insanity as laid out by EvanstonCat in this thread.

They may do whatever they wish. It’s not my business what they do, nor do I really care.
Gee, it sounds like you do. At least a little bit, no?

Gee, it sounds like you do. At least a little bit, no?

Perhaps a little. I’m not perfect.

It’s not my business though. Rant and repeat away if you like. I won’t try to stop you.

Last edited:

However, that should never be the case.

Can expect Dook to have the edge in skill players (like WR), but they shouldn't be dominating the 'Cats in the trenches.

But it's the same ol', same ol' - mediocre O-line play, which amplifies the problem of receivers who can't get separation and win 50/50 balls.

Both further exacerbated by the playcalling.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvanstonCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT