ADVERTISEMENT

Top 50 2020 guard to visit NU

Looking at the rankings for incoming frosh this year....Koop and Nance 66 and 67 not so bad....but how does Western Kentucky get 2 top 100s and Vandy 2 in the top 20 and 3 total in the top 100........

Looking at the rankings for incoming frosh this year....Koop and Nance 66 and 67 not so bad....but how does Western Kentucky get 2 top 100s and Vandy 2 in the top 20 and 3 total in the top 100........

1 5 Star was local, the other is a Canadian who had a top 3 of Arizona, UNC and Vandy. After UNC landed Nassir Little and Arizona was named in the FBI probe, Vandy got him by default.

The third top 100 guy was lightly recruited and Vandy got in on him early. He blew up on the AAU circuit after committing and Vandy managed to hang on.

not so bad? "Never before for NU" is better than not so bad.

How do Western Kentucky and Vandy do so well.....they don't have the bb history or admissions hurdles of NU

sorry to be such a jingoist on NU basketball but Collins is doing amazing with the recruiting. Not "really good', amazing.

Show me the money...

How do Western Kentucky and Vandy do so well.....they don't have the bb history or admissions hurdles of NU

sorry to be such a jingoist on NU basketball but Collins is doing amazing with the recruiting. Not "really good', amazing.
This year has been a little slow in developing so some warranted accolades may be a bit muted

Reactions: IGNORE2
This year has been a little slow in developing so some warranted accolades may be a bit muted

The team sucked eggs last year.

And then the top ranked recruit in the last 20 years of NU basketball moved into his dorm along with another top 10 recruit.

Reactions: NUCat320
Tough summer recruiting. I hope a kid or two has committed and we're simply waiting on admissions.

The desperate fan in me also wonders if a schollie or two has been pushed to 2020. For in-state only that's not the worst idea in the world ... a little desperate, but it's not the worst idea if they're not getting a good response to a bad season and two new assistants.

Tough summer recruiting. I hope a kid or two has committed and we're simply waiting on admissions.

The desperate fan in me also wonders if a schollie or two has been pushed to 2020. For in-state only that's not the worst idea in the world ... a little desperate, but it's not the worst idea if they're not getting a good response to a bad season and two new assistants.

I don’t think that’s how it works.

1 5 Star was local, the other is a Canadian who had a top 3 of Arizona, UNC and Vandy. After UNC landed Nassir Little and Arizona was named in the FBI probe, Vandy got him by default.

The third top 100 guy was lightly recruited and Vandy got in on him early. He blew up on the AAU circuit after committing and Vandy managed to hang on.

Boy, if only some highly ranked kids came through the Evanston educational system. At least we will undoubtedly land Baldwin Jr since he was practically raised in WR Arena.

Fake news...and from a Medill guy.

I think the general, rational consensus is that he has done better than his predecessors but not quite Messiah level. Few hits, equal misses and lots of TBD. And an empty schollie for several years w a bus load of openings and zero recruits in the next class.

Fake news...and from a Medill guy.

I think the general, rational consensus is that he has done better than his predecessors but not quite Messiah level. Few hits, equal misses and lots of TBD. And an empty schollie for several years w a bus load of openings and zero recruits in the next class.

Collins recruited the four highest rated recruits since 2000 according to Scout. Jershon Cobb is listed as the fifth best recruit.

All four are on the roster this year. Two are frosh.

For NU, that's unprecedented.

Boy, if only some highly ranked kids came through the Evanston educational system. At least we will undoubtedly land Baldwin Jr since he was practically raised in WR Arena.

Would be great if some of those Evanston kids had the grades.

Bryce Drew and Rick Stansbury might have something to do with it.

Would be great if some of those Evanston kids had the grades.

Since seemingly forever there wasn't a good connection between ETHS and NU. That is changing. NU now has an information office in the school and shows some favoritism to ETHS in the admissions process.

I think the academic issues are less about grades and more about the prospects don't have NU on their list so they don't take the classes that will check the necessary boxes for NU.

But I think we're talking about very few prospects. A third or less the number of a Morgan Park.

One might be OK but anything more would create a real hole. Need to get that first recruit

Collins recruited the four highest rated recruits since 2000 according to Scout. Jershon Cobb is listed as the fifth best recruit.

All four are on the roster this year. Two are frosh.

For NU, that's unprecedented.

Agreed unprecedented. But let's see them play. Weren't RI and Falzon highly heralded? While I like Law, he is not a sure fire NBA first rounder, hell, probably not an NBA player. And he wasn't even the best guy on the team when we made the Dance. So bringing in highly ranked talent is meaningless unless they prove to be worth their ranking.

Last year, having the two highest ranking recruits ever didn't result in any post season play. I hope four gets us there - are you willing to wager on whether we dance this year with all this amazing? Does the committee now consider recruit rankings when they select the field? And how many high ranking recruits do we have in this next class? Well, how may recruits do we have so far in this next class...

Sorry, but I am not feeling the amazing component of the MBB program at the moment. It was amazing a couple years ago. Right now, I have concerns.

Since seemingly forever there wasn't a good connection between ETHS and NU. That is changing. NU now has an information office in the school and shows some favoritism to ETHS in the admissions process.

I think the academic issues are less about grades and more about the prospects don't have NU on their list so they don't take the classes that will check the necessary boxes for NU.

But I think we're talking about very few prospects. A third or less the number of a Morgan Park.

So "not about grades, but the classes taken." Still achieves the same end (and I usually use "grades" as shorthand for any number of potential academic shortcomings (i.e. not enough core classes, low core GPA, etc.)).

Oh, so we didn't recruit any of those Evanston kids? Anyone care to educate GCG? Clearly, MBB recruiting is not his fortay.

Sure we did.

And I'm guessing you're mostly thinking of Nojel Eastern? I actually followed up with some folks that I know on him given how high-profile he was; my secondhand understanding is that our offer was heavily contingent on certain academic requirements, which he didn't want to bother even trying to meet given that he had plenty of other "high major" options.

So "not about grades, but the classes taken." Still achieves the same end (and I usually use "grades" as shorthand for any number of potential academic shortcomings (i.e. not enough core classes, low core GPA, etc.)).

Nojel Eastern, a ETHS product and fixture at WR Arena, was offered and largely believed to be headed our way. He went to Purdue a class ago. During the CCC reign - remember, that big recruiting guy. Nojel was a four star, home grown stud.

Sure we did.

And I'm guessing you're mostly thinking of Nojel Eastern? I actually followed up with some folks that I know on him given how high-profile he was; my secondhand understanding is that our offer was heavily contingent on certain academic requirements, which he didn't want to bother even trying to meet given that he had plenty of other "high major" options.

And yet, J Vassar got through admissions...

Nojel Eastern, a ETHS product and fixture at WR Arena, was offered and largely believed to be headed our way. He went to Purdue a class ago. During the CCC reign - remember, that big recruiting guy. Nojel was a four star, home grown stud.

"Largely believed" by whom exactly? I never got that impression, though I admittedly also don't follow basketball recruiting nearly as closely as football recruiting.

Who believed he was headed to NU? NU was never really in it for Eastern. GCG is right on this one.

Who believed he was headed to NU? NU was never really in it for Eastern. GCG is right on this one.

The chatter going back to Nojel early years was that we had a good chance. He was often seen at WR events. He was seen with NU recruits. Not sure how far the archives go back - but I can start digging.

The chatter going back to Nojel early years was that we had a good chance. He was often seen at WR events. He was seen with NU recruits. Not sure how far the archives go back - but I can start digging.

Chatter where? On message boards? That doesn’t mean much. NU recruited him and he lived minutes away, so sure he’s going to go to games at WR and hang out with players. But there were some academic issues there that would’ve had to get rectified for him to go to NU. And while I never talked to him personally, the word was that he wasn’t all that interested.

NU was never an academic fit.

Agreed unprecedented. But let's see them play. Weren't RI and Falzon highly heralded? While I like Law, he is not a sure fire NBA first rounder, hell, probably not an NBA player. And he wasn't even the best guy on the team when we made the Dance. So bringing in highly ranked talent is meaningless unless they prove to be worth their ranking.

Last year, having the two highest ranking recruits ever didn't result in any post season play. I hope four gets us there - are you willing to wager on whether we dance this year with all this amazing? Does the committee now consider recruit rankings when they select the field? And how many high ranking recruits do we have in this next class? Well, how may recruits do we have so far in this next class...

Sorry, but I am not feeling the amazing component of the MBB program at the moment. It was amazing a couple years ago. Right now, I have concerns.

I think your logic sets up a bit of trap. There are 30 picks in first round, 60 total in the first two rounds. It's a guess, but 8-15 picks across two rounds go to guys who never played college ball...foreign players or U.S. players who waited a year. So, 50 or fewer picks of U.S. college players.

That's 50 picks spread across four classes...the frosh one and dones who are all top 50 recruits and players from the other three classes, including all the seniors.

Law, IIRC, was ranked 75. Which you could argue puts him in the 200's among all of college basketball. So it's unfair to suggest he's a failure or the coaches are poor recruiters because it's not clear that he'll be drafted. Law has freakish attributes, along with a solid three point conversion rate that could get him drafted. He's super quick, jumps high and quick for his height and plays lock down defense. But he's more 6 6 than 6 7. Maybe less.

I don't think players drafted by the NBA is an especially meaningful recruiting barometer. Players who played professionally might be.

RI was four star top 100 as a junior and then slipped to borderline three/four during his senior year. Falzon was a four star.

I think your logic sets up a bit of trap. There are 30 picks in first round, 60 total in the first two rounds. It's a guess, but 8-15 picks across two rounds go to guys who never played college ball...foreign players or U.S. players who waited a year. So, 50 or fewer picks of U.S. college players.

That's 50 picks spread across four classes...the frosh one and dones who are all top 50 recruits and players from the other three classes, including all the seniors.

Law, IIRC, was ranked 75. Which you could argue puts him in the 200's among all of college basketball. So it's unfair to suggest he's a failure or the coaches are poor recruiters because it's not clear that he'll be drafted. Law has freakish attributes, along with a solid three point conversion rate that could get him drafted. He's super quick, jumps high and quick for his height and plays lock down defense. But he's more 6 6 than 6 7. Maybe less.

I don't think players drafted by the NBA is an especially meaningful recruiting barometer. Players who played professionally might be.

RI was four star top 100 as a junior and then slipped to borderline three/four during his senior year. Falzon was a four star.

I agree with you, Medill. Point being, as Glades says, stars are for losers. Wins, now those have meaning. Tourney appearances - that is cool. So while CCC has brought in the 4 highest rated recruits - two were on the team last year that didn't make any post season. Two more have arrived and raise your hand if you would wager money in your pocket on them going dancing this year. We had other highly rated recruits that have not done much, if anything. And I don't need excuses. Sorry, but excuses are for losers.

We sit with five open schollies next class, had 1 empty unused slot for several years and zero commits at the beginning of the Fall. That is not amazing.

I am eager for this season as I was for last season. I am hopeful that this is a minor glitch. I keep hearing about facilities and all that is godly of CCC. I want results and I want news. Last year's results sucked and there is zero news. I am not going to call the Bears a great organization because the won the Superbowl in '85. I am not going to call the Bulls an amazing organization because the won everything in the 90's. Hell, after last year, I question the direction of the Hawks. And if you think the Cubs are amazing, I have a bridge to sell you.

So, I will definitely not consider the NU MBB program amazing based on the current state of affairs. I want it to be amazing. I have seen amazing. I knew amazing. This is not amazing.

Walk me through how a couple random message board comments that we might still be in the running are in any way the same as "largely believed to be headed our way."

You were wrong. You were called out on it. Accept it and move on.

(Yeah, yeah, I know... pot calling the kettle black and all that.)

Walk me through how a couple random message board comments that we might still be in the running are in any way the same as "largely believed to be headed our way."

You were wrong. You were called out on it. Accept it and move on.

(Yeah, yeah, I know... pot calling the kettle black and all that.)

Ok - whatever. Sources from this Board among other recruiting websites believed we were among the finalists. He didn't come. And, of course, it was because he wasn't eligible and we couldn't take him...but we got Vassar through admissions...

Ok - whatever. Sources from this Board among other recruiting websites believed we were among the finalists. He didn't come. And, of course, it was because he wasn't eligible and we couldn't take him...but we got Vassar through admissions...
One more time. Vassar graduated in four years, doesn't sound like grades were a problem with him. Others. maybe academics did count, for or against.

Were Vassar's academics as a high school recruit bad?

Why do you keep harping on Vassar and admissions?

He was never reported as a bad student and graduated on time before leaving as a grad transfer to continue his basketball career. He and Collins clearly didn't see eye-to-eye on his transfer decision nor treatment after he changed his mind, but I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about him as a student (whether as a recruit or as an NU student).

Why do you keep harping on Vassar and admissions?

He was never reported as a bad student and graduated on time before leaving as a grad transfer to continue his basketball career. He and Collins clearly didn't see eye-to-eye on his transfer decision nor treatment after he changed his mind, but I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about him as a student (whether as a recruit or as an NU student).

I read elsewhere that his grades, or class he took, were suspect do to the four high schools in four years. Keep in mind, he was the last and late addition to that class.

I read elsewhere that his grades, or class he took, were suspect do to the four high schools in four years. Keep in mind, he was the last and late addition to that class.

Is this going to turn into another "I think I read it somewhere once so it has to be the case” situations?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladeskat

Vassar's grades were an issue in HS. You are referencing the Vice article -

"But at the same time his recruiting was ramping up, Vassar's grades were dropping. After Vassar had differences with his head coach—he says his coach forced him to go on a visit to Indiana with his team rather than a scheduled visit to Illinois—Cherise pulled her son out of La Lumiere, and homeschooled him to get his academics in order.

"He wouldn't be (an academic NCAA) qualifier if I left him there," she said."

That said - he has done fine academically at NU - so may have just been a blip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT