ADVERTISEMENT

Top Defenses

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
During these dog days of spring/summer, he is a projection of the top 25 CFB defenses. Cats come in #15.

1. What Makes Them Dangerous

Despite allowing more than 265 passing yards per game with an opposing completion percentage that barely ranked in the top 100 nationally, Northwestern had a knack for extinguishing drives via its secondary. The Wildcats had 16 interceptions last year and get all but one of those back in 2017. Montre Hartage leads the way with five picks and nine passes defended.

Room for Improvement

In addition to not giving up so many passing yards, the Wildcats need to do a better job of pressuring the quarterback. They had a total of nine sacks in their final six games, and they lost the player (Ifeadi Odenigbo) who finished the year with more than twice as many sacks as any teammate.

2017 Projection

With eight returning starters on each side of the ball, Northwestern ought to be in great shape. It doesn't face Michigan or Ohio State, and it has a light nonconference slate. If the Wildcats are able to defend the pass as well as they did in the second half of 2016, a third 10-win season in six years is a real possibility.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...dium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

In addition to not giving up so many passing yards, the Wildcats need to do a better job of pressuring the quarterback. They had a total of nine sacks in their final six games, and they lost the player (Ifeadi Odenigbo) who finished the year with more than twice as many sacks as any teammate.

Losing X-Wash for the year isn't going to help, either. Who's going to step up in the pass rush department? Hope to see Gaziano do some more damage like he did against MSU last year.

Losing X-Wash for the year isn't going to help, either. Who's going to step up in the pass rush department? Hope to see Gaziano do some more damage like he did against MSU last year.

NU has loads of young talent at DE. The question is who's ready to play. Goens is probably the front runner as the oldest, but this will be a big opportunity for some combination of Carnifax, Gooden, Miller or the true freshmen Brown and Kent. It will be an interesting spot to watch this fall if X's career is over.

Reactions: scru

I know it is not very much of our business but when will his status be final? or even develop? I admit my interest is partly selfish curiosity but there is a part of me that is concerned about the guy and wonders what is going on. I hope he is getting good help: legal and otherwise.

I feel someone will pleasantly surprise us in the pass rush department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT