ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer QB Shea Patterson

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
A lot has been written about Patterson and the possible effect he will have on Michigan's season. Like Hunter Johnson, he was a five star recruit. Patterson was rated #1 among Pro Style QB's in his initial recruiting year. I was able to see Patterson play in Berkeley last year against Cal, and had a strong impression of his strengths and weaknesses coming out of that game, which Cal won 27-16. I recently found a video compilation of the Mississippi offensive plays in that game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylf7PUmOVHg.

The video pretty much confirmed what I thought I saw in person. First of all, Patterson has an incredible arm. Watching Cal games for a number of years, I have seen some terrific college QB's who went on to success in the NFL (Aaron Rodgers and Jared Goff among them), but I think Patterson's arm may be the best if not one of the best I have ever seen. He also has a good set of wheels, and will punish any team that does not contain him in its pass rush. Against Cal, Patterson threw 44 times, completing 26 for 363 yards. He also was the ball carrier 13 times.

Despite his physical talents, however, he did not have a very good game that day. He was sacked 5 times, threw 3 interceptions, had a QB rating of 27.5 and Ole Miss scored 12 fewer that what Cal gave up on average, despite the fact that they are from the SEC, and as we all know, their skill players have speed no other conference can touch.

What I did notice about Patterson may have as much to do with the facts that the Mississippi coaching staff was in disarray a good part of last year, and that it was early season and Cal had completely changed its defense, and there was not much tape for Ole Miss to prepare with. Having said that, though, here are a few observations on how he played that day:

1) He tried to rely on his physical gifts to force plays. It appeared to me that he was used to being able to throw the ball into tight windows and scramble for big yards when threatened. Cal had a great game plan, and their DB's got some good breaks on the ball. They also really contained the scrambles.
2) He did not make productive pre-snap and early reads. Cal varied their pass rush, and Patterson did not recognize, check off to the vacated area and make Cal pay for their blitzes. Instead, he almost immediately broke off and scrambled, with the result that Cal was disrupting the Mississippi offense without negative consequence. Patterson made some big throws off of scrambles, but he was generally playing playground ball rather than using his designed offense.
3) When he did stay in the pocket, he did not go quickly through his progressions. Generally he either delivered to his primary receiver or he broke off the play.
4) He is not as tall as the ideal modern pocket passer. He lists at 6'2", but I would not be surprised if he is an inch or two shorter than that.

With all of that said, Harbaugh and the Michigan staff may well be able to bring him along quickly, but they will have some work to do. I also wonder how good he is as a fit for the offense JH likes to run. If he does stay primarily in the pocket, I imagine he will throw an above average number of tipped balls. On the other hand, if he does learn pocket discipline and how to look to his second and third receiver, he will be deadly. He delivers the ball quickly with great velocity, and any time he recognizes separation, he will make the defense pay.

It will be an interesting year for Michigan; if Patterson is not as quick a study as he needs to be, Harbaugh's temper might come out and his job could be on the line. If he is a quick study, Michigan, with its solid supporting offensive cast, could be a really tough team for anyone to beat, and this could be their year.

Last edited:
A lot has been written about Patterson and the possible effect he will have on Michigan's season. Like Hunter Johnson, he was a five star recruit. Patterson was rated #1 among Pro Style QB's in his initial recruiting year. I was able to see Patterson play in Berkeley last year against Cal, and had a strong impression of his strengths and weaknesses coming out of that game, which Cal won 27-16. I recently found a video compilation of the Mississippi offensive plays in that game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylf7PUmOVHg.

The video pretty much confirmed what I thought I saw in person. First of all, Patterson has an incredible arm. Watching Cal games for a number of years, I have seen some terrific college QB's who went on to success in the NFL (Aaron Rodgers and Jared Goff among them), but I think Patterson's arm may be the best if not one of the best I have ever seen. He also has a good set of wheels, and will punish any team that does not contain him in its pass rush. Against Cal, Patterson threw 44 times, completing 26 for 363 yards. He also was the ball carrier 13 times.

Despite his physical talents, however, he did not have a very good game that day. He was sacked 5 times, threw 3 interceptions, had a QB rating of 27.5 and Ole Miss scored 12 fewer that what Cal gave up on average, despite the fact that they are from the SEC, and as we all know, their skill players have speed no other conference can touch.

What I did notice about Patterson may have as much to do with the facts that the Mississippi coaching staff was in disarray a good part of last year, and that it was early season and Cal had completely changed its defense, and there was not much tape for Ole Miss to prepare with. Having said that, though, here are a few observations on how he played that day:

1) He tried to rely on his physical gifts to force plays. It appeared to me that he was used to being able to throw the ball into tight windows and scramble for big yards when threatened. Cal had a great game plan, and their DB's got some good breaks on the ball. They also really contained the scrambles.
2) He did not make productive pre-snap and early reads. Cal varied their pass rush, and Patterson did not recognize, check off to the vacated area and make Cal pay for their blitzes. Instead, he almost immediately broke off and scrambled, with the result that Cal was disrupting the Mississippi offense without negative consequence. Patterson made some big throws off of scrambles, but he was generally playing playground ball rather than using his designed offense.
3) When he did stay in the pocket, he did not go quickly through his progressions. Generally he either delivered to his primary receiver or he broke off the play.
4) He is not as tall as the ideal modern pocket passer. He lists at 6'2", but I would not be surprised if he is an inch or two shorter than that.

With all of that said, Harbaugh and the Michigan staff may well be able to bring him along quickly, but they will have some work to do. I also wonder how good he is as a fit for the offense JH likes to run. If he does stay primarily in the pocket, I imagine he will throw an above average number of tipped balls. On the other hand, if he does learn pocket discipline and how to look to his second and third receiver, he will be deadly. He delivers the ball quickly with great velocity, and any time he recognizes separation, he will make the defense pay.

It will be an interesting year for Michigan; if Patterson is not as quick a study as he needs to be, Harbaugh's temper might come out and his job could be on the line. If he is a quick study, Michigan, with its solid supporting offensive cast, could be a really tough team for anyone to beat, and this could be their year.

In light of yesterday’s game I decided to repost. I wasn’t surprised at Patterson’s performance yesterday. It looks to me like ND coaches watched some his tape. Also, based on one game, he may not be a quick study.

he isn't as cerebral as McCaffrey. And harbaugh bizzarely took McCaffrey out after he was the only one that could move the offense. Patterson will be solid if he is given time and could destroy us. But last night he hadn't the time and it isn't like he can process his progressions timely...at least not yet.

he isn't as cerebral as McCaffrey. And harbaugh bizzarely took McCaffrey out after he was the only one that could move the offense. Patterson will be solid if he is given time and could destroy us. But last night he hadn't the time and it isn't like he can process his progressions timely...at least not yet.

Michigan's play-calling doesn't seem to be especially imaginative, either — looked like a steady diet of tailback runs and high-percentage (but low gaining) flanker screens when I was watching.

It looks to me like ND coaches watched some his tape.

Well, yeah. LOL

I would hope every coach in the country would watch tape on the opposing QB?

For all the talk of Michigan’s vaunted defense, they were ranked 9th last year in defense efficiency, and lost their two best defenders up the middle. ND was actually ranked one spot behind them at 10th, & brought back everybody but one.
I know ND was sick of hearing ALL offseason how amazing Michigan’s defense is & how Shea Patterson was a Heisman hopeful that would lead them to the CFP.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan

I was reading this morning when McCaffrey came in ND backed off their press coverage & blitz scheme, & basically played prevent to run the clock.

ND was the 11th game of SheaPat’s career. He’s basically redshirt freshman in terms of experience. So his trouble reafing defenses is not super surprising.

But things could get sticky in Ann Arbor if things continue as such. There is a lot of hype about SheaPat, and I wonder how patient Harbaugh will be.

Patterson led them downfield for a TD after coming back in for McCaffrey, so not sure why that decision could be considered bizarre. He then had a decent drive going at the end, but ND made a nice play to force the fumble.

It’s funny because after the game Brian Kelly actually says it in a quote. (That they were sick about hearing how great Michigan was.)
Yeah, I heard that and thought it was a bit unnecessary to say publicly. I'm sure he said it privately to his team to fire them up, but he could have taken the high road publicly. I guess all's fair in love and (recruiting) wars.

Yeah, I heard that and thought it was a bit unnecessary to say publicly. I'm sure he said it privately to his team to fire them up, but he could have taken the high road publicly. I guess all's fair in love and (recruiting) wars.

It was in the postgame NBC telecast when Chris Simms actually said it to him, & he just smirked & said, "They had to hear all week about how great this Michigan team was, and they came out and were clearly the better team."

It was in the postgame NBC telecast when Chris Simms actually said it to him, & he just smirked & said, "They had to hear all week about how great this Michigan team was, and they came out and were clearly the better team."
He also said it in the on-field interview with the sideline reporter, totally unprompted. I found the comment to be unnecessarily negative and snarky.

Fitz has a tendency to be snarky at times, but in that kind of situation, he usually just says great game, great opponent, hard fought win, perseverence, Go Cats, etc. Criticizing the other team after beating them shows a lack of class. Harbaugh is probably equally guilty of that sort of thing.

Reactions: drewjin
Yeah, I guess his childrens’ charity he started & funds is pretty low class.

Many high profile CFB coachs have charitable foundations. Doesn't mean they're good people. It just means they need the tax breaks and want the good publicity that comes with it.

Bobby Petrino has a charitable foundation. Hell, even Jerry Sandusky founded a charitable foundation for children. We know how well that worked out for the kids.

Reactions: willycat
@Gladeskat @thewildcat2011
Well done.
Kelly’s awful.

ND fans would’ve said the same, except Chollie desensitized them to that sort of thing (“awfulness”). Geez, I hope they come to Evanston undefeated.

“Decided schematic advantage.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT