ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Recruiting

It's interesting to see how many 5th year players enter the portal; part of me wonders if they're testing the open market or just genuinely wanting to have a new experience before it their playing careers are over.

It's interesting to see how many 5th year players enter the portal; part of me wonders if they're testing the open market or just genuinely wanting to have a new experience before it their playing careers are over.

Great question. I think it is a number of things but first and foremost is earning a nice check for what they love to do. A little leverage never hurts. An added bonus if it is at an interesting program and location.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
You do know that once they are in the portal, their current team has no obligation to take them back if the player changes his mind. You don't enter the portal if you are just interested in gauging interest.

Reactions: drewjin
This is so interesting. Basically, players can declare themselves as free agents by entering the portal. The real question is what the market is willing to pay for various positions, years of remaining eligibility and skill sets.

If I were a savvy young athlete, I’d attend a lower level team where I was assured playing time, build a resume of work and put myself on the market.

College football has become the wild, Wild West.

Though I still remain high on Sullivan, especially if he can develop his arm talent over the next year, NU needs at least one more QB. Here are a few interesting quarterbacks in the portal:

Tyler Van Dyke, Miami: Over 3 seasons, 7469 passing yards with 54 touchdowns to 23 interceptions.

AJ Swann, Vandy: In 6 games this year (injured), 1,457 yards and 12 touchdowns to 7 interceptions.

Ken Seals, Vandy: 1,183 yards with 11 touchdowns + 2 rushing TDs, to four interceptions.

Blake Shapen, Baylor: 2,188 yards and 13 TDs to three interceptions, with 4 rushing TDs this year, 2,790 yards and 18 touchdowns to 10 interceptions last year.

Katin Houser, MSU: 1,132 yards and six touchdowns to five interceptions.

Max Johnson, aTm: 1,452 yards with nine touchdowns to five interceptions.

Will Rogers, Miss. State: 12,315 (!) passing yards and 94 passing touchdowns.

Tyler Shough, TT: 2,922 yards and 20 touchdowns to 11 interceptions, rushing for 432 yards and eight rushing TDs.

and remember Spencer Petras, Io_a? 5,199 passing yards with 24 touchdowns and 19 interceptions.

Not all of these guys are getting $1MM in NIL money.

Figure most have their degrees so ...

I see that running back Reggie Love of Illinois is in the portal now. Doubt that we have interest in him, but you never know.

Though I still remain high on Sullivan, especially if he can develop his arm talent over the next year, NU needs at least one more QB. Here are a few interesting quarterbacks in the portal:

Tyler Van Dyke, Miami: Over 3 seasons, 7469 passing yards with 54 touchdowns to 23 interceptions.

AJ Swann, Vandy: In 6 games this year (injured), 1,457 yards and 12 touchdowns to 7 interceptions.

Ken Seals, Vandy: 1,183 yards with 11 touchdowns + 2 rushing TDs, to four interceptions.

Blake Shapen, Baylor: 2,188 yards and 13 TDs to three interceptions, with 4 rushing TDs this year, 2,790 yards and 18 touchdowns to 10 interceptions last year.

Tyler Shough, TT: 2,922 yards and 20 touchdowns to 11 interceptions, rushing for 432 yards and eight rushing TDs.

and remember Spencer Petras, Io_a? 5,199 passing yards with 24 touchdowns and 19 interceptions.

Word is Johnson is already headed to North Carolina. many of the guys on your list are not realistic candidates for NU. Swann is interesting but there are some other QBs in the portal that may be better candidates for NU. Brosmer from New Hampshire, and a QB named Matt Sluka from Holy Cross.

Reactions: Rebel II

Some of these guys are a hard no. Slough is the best of the bunch but he will have plenty of offers.

Word is Johnson is already headed to North Carolina. many of the guys on your list are not realistic candidates for NU. Swann is interesting but there are some other QBs in the portal that may be better candidates for NU. Brosmer from New Hampshire, and a QB named Matt Sluka from Holy Cross.

It’s not “word,” Johnson has already publicly committed to UNC.

The rest of the P5 transfers on that list are going to be priced out of NU’s market.

We should be looking at guys like Brosmer or Sluka, my ideal case would be Payton Thorne if/when he enters out of Auburn.

I also have my eyes on Gronowski from South Dakota State, who’s a local kid that has played a ton of high-level ball at the FCS level and would have two years of eligibility left. I’m assuming he wouldn’t be in the portal until SDSU finishes up their playoff run, which could go VERY deep — SDSU is the defending national champion, 11-0, and has been ranked in the top 5 throughout the season. FWIW there’s an additional 5-day portal window after the title game for players who participate in the postseason.

Dont we have to decide on the OC b4 we either recruit a portal qb or a portal qb wooos us? Would seem to be some immediacy to this issue....wonder if it is in process?

It’s not “word,” Johnson has already publicly committed to UNC.

The rest of the P5 transfers on that list are going to be priced out of NU’s market.

We should be looking at guys like Brosmer or Sluka, my ideal case would be Payton Thorne if/when he enters out of Auburn.

I also have my eyes on Gronowski from South Dakota State, who’s a local kid that has played a ton of high-level ball at the FCS level and would have two years of eligibility left. I’m assuming he wouldn’t be in the portal until SDSU finishes up their playoff run, which could go VERY deep — SDSU is the defending national champion, 11-0, and has been ranked in the top 5 throughout the season. FWIW there’s an additional 5-day portal window after the title game for players who participate in the postseason.
Gronowski was looking for serious money and PT last off-season but didn't see it, apparently

It's also interesting to see "major" programs needing to budget $1-1.5M for QBs each year, which then leads to O-line budget, and backfield budget...

Gronowski was looking for serious money and PT last off-season but didn't see it, apparently

Now I’m interested… is there a source/basis for this comment? Honestly asking, no judgement.

I’m only asking because I have eyes out for him since there are too many reasons it could make sense — highly productive lower-level kid from the area with very strong academics and now we have a former SDSU coach on staff (and a former NDSU coach as permanent HC). Also intrigued by a guy who will have 40+ career starts under his belt (by virtue of starting as a freshman then SDSU’s consistently deep FCS playoff runs) and yet still have two years of eligibility left.

Now I’m interested… is there a source/basis for this comment? Honestly asking, no judgement.

I’m only asking because I have eyes out for him since there are too many reasons it could make sense — highly productive lower-level kid from the area with very strong academics and now we have a former SDSU coach on staff (and a former NDSU coach as permanent HC). Also intrigued by a guy who will have 40+ career starts under his belt (by virtue of starting as a freshman then SDSU’s consistently deep FCS playoff runs) and yet still have two years of eligibility left.
A parent from his graduating class would not shut up about him looking for suitors for weeks. Nothing ever came of it, and when I asked he said the desired offers never materialized.

Someone on the Rivals Main Board [Naperville Buck] told me similar things. I don't pay anymore but someone with access can probably find it via search.

Don't we need to be making offers ASAP since players in demand like this will go quickly. Doesn't seem like we've made any offers yet. I know there's issues like coaching staff Etc but still

A parent from his graduating class would not shut up about him looking for suitors for weeks. Nothing ever came of it, and when I asked he said the desired offers never materialized.

Someone on the Rivals Main Board [Naperville Buck] told me similar things. I don't pay anymore but someone with access can probably find it via search.

Do you think said parent actually knew what they were talking about or were just trying to sound important?

Seems to be smoke that he will/would/should hit the portal after the FCS playoffs either way. I’d be all for NU getting involved, seems to check a lot of the boxes that we should be looking for in our transfer QBs. NU also just isn’t going to play at the upper-upper tier of portal QB recruiting until/unless our NIL program develops rapidly. Much more likely to get the local guys who have either proven themselves at a lower level looking for a shot to move up and/or high-potential guys looking for a clearer path to a starting job.

Reactions: NUCat320
Who will be the first to say NU needs to grab Dillon Gabriel?

Needs to, sure. Will, absolutely not. He’s headed either to Mississippi State with Lebby or to the west coast (Hawait native) at one of those programs that wants a plug-and-play starter -- Washington, USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc.

Do you think said parent actually knew what they were talking about or were just trying to sound important?

Seems to be smoke that he will/would/should hit the portal after the FCS playoffs either way. I’d be all for NU getting involved, seems to check a lot of the boxes that we should be looking for in our transfer QBs. NU also just isn’t going to play at the upper-upper tier of portal QB recruiting until/unless our NIL program develops rapidly. Much more likely to get the local guys who have either proven themselves at a lower level looking for a shot to move up and/or high-potential guys looking for a clearer path to a starting job.
I think they knew something. It was indeed after his FR campaign, and that may have cooled. But he was looking to go next level for sure.

He was 100% one of the first names I thought of when considering next year.

Reactions: DaCat
I think they knew something. It was indeed after his FR campaign, and that may have cooled. But he was looking to go next level for sure.

Got it. Either way his inclination to move up from SDSU tells me something.

Just makes sense for NU on so many levels — local guy, good academics, has played a TON of ball because SDSU is consistently making deep playoff runs (dude will have started probably ~40 games with ~800 pass attempts by the end of this year), Smith from SDSU is on staff already plus Braun would clearly know the staff at SDSU, new OC will most likely have some strong FCS ties, etc.

He also has 2 or maybe even 3 years of eligibility left:

2020 Starter and led team runner-up in the title game, but doesn’t count for eligibility
2021 Injured, could be a medical redshirt
2022 Starter and leads team to national title
2023 Starter and seem primed for another national title run

Depending whether 2021 is a “normal” or medical redshirt and/or he wants to use his “free” COVID year, he could well have a significant amount of experience AND multiple years of eligibility left AND multiple national titles (along with a runner-up finish) under his belt. Would also imagine he will get his SDSU degree as this is his fourth year at the school, making it easier to transfer to NU.

Take all day, IMO.

Last edited:

Just makes sense for NU on so many levels — local guy, good academics, has played a TON of ball because SDSU is consistently making deep playoff runs (dude will have started probably ~40 games with ~800 pass attempts by the end of this year), Smith from SDSU is on staff already plus Braun would clearly know the staff at SDSDU, new OC will most likely have some strong FCS ties, etc.

He also has 2 or even 3 years of eligibility left:

2020 Starter and led team runner-up in the title game, but doesn’t count for eligibility

Depending whether 2021 is a “normal” or medical redshirt and/or he wants to use his “free” COVID year, he could well have a significant amount of experience AND multiple years of eligibility left AND multiple national titles (along with a runner-up finish) under his belt. Would also imagine he will get his SDSU degree as this is his fourth year at the school, making it easier to transfer to NU.

Take all day, IMO.
Perfectly said

Just makes sense for NU on so many levels — local guy, good academics, has played a TON of ball because SDSU is consistently making deep playoff runs (dude will have started probably ~40 games with ~800 pass attempts by the end of this year), Smith from SDSU is on staff already plus Braun would clearly know the staff at SDSU, new OC will most likely have some strong FCS ties, etc.

He also has 2 or maybe even 3 years of eligibility left:

Take all day, IMO.
I would take Gronowski in a heartbeat. If his team makes it to the FCS finals on Jan 7, the timing will be favorable for us since the first transfer window will close on Jan 2, and gives us a chance to go after him with (hopefully) a new OC for the second window Apr 15-30.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I would take Gronowski in a heartbeat. If his team makes it to the FCS finals on Jan 7, the timing will be favorable for us since the first transfer window will close on Jan 2, and gives us a chance to go after him with (hopefully) a new OC for the second window Apr 15-30.

I’m about 99.999% sure that there’s a separate portal window for FCS players whose teams play in the playoffs. Opens immediately after the national finals, open for 5 days. So would be in early/mid-January.

Either way, logic holds — “bigger” QB spots could well be taken already, NU in position to move on a kid later in the process after using a week or two to get our permanent staff in place.

Reactions: DaCat

He suffered an ACL injury in the championship game his FR year so I guess that would've shut down the transfer talk, especially since due to COVID, that season was played in the Spring, so the next season only started a couple of months later in the Fall. Unlucky circumstances for him.

He suffered an ACL injury in the championship game his FR year so I guess that would've shut down the transfer talk, especially since due to COVID, that season was played in the Spring, so the next season only started a couple of months later in the Fall. Unlucky circumstances for him.

But could also work in his favor as he has more eligibility as a (potential) transfer.

Braun said staff will remain intact until after the Bowl game. Bound to affect acquisition of new players via portal.

Braun said staff will remain intact until after the Bowl game. Bound to affect acquisition of new players via portal.

Eh. The portal ”window” remains open until 1/2, guys can still commit and transfer after that date but just have to be in the portal to maintain immediate eligibility, etc.

OL from Stanford in the portal. Was the #1 ranked recruit out of MN in 2022 from the top Catholic program Hill-Murray. Maybe will be headed to Goohers since they’ve picked up a some former MN HS kids that they missed on the first time. But I figure the Stanford education might make him a candidate here.

OL from Stanford in the portal. Was the #1 ranked recruit out of MN in 2022 from the top Catholic program Hill-Murray. Maybe will be headed to Goohers since they’ve picked up a some former MN HS kids that they missed on the first time. But I figure the Stanford education might make him a candidate here.

Took an OV to NU. We seemed to cool on him for whatever reason.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
Two potential QB transfer candidates for NU on this list.

Gronowski and SDSU will be playing this Saturday at 11 am against Villanova in the Quarterfinals. Game is on ESPN for anybody that is interested in getting a sneak preview.

I am attaching a really good article that provides great detail on Gronowksi's development and evolution as a QB. Has a mention of NU showing mild interest in him as a HS senior but also says Wisconsin was his dream school. Very intriguing prospect.

Last edited:
It’s obvious that the new OC hire will be absolutely critical for the future success of the program, to ensure we get the transfers and recruits who got the program and to get the results on time field. A little scary but exciting at the same time for Braun.

Two potential QB transfer candidates for NU on this list.

Except that Brosmer is already committed to Minnesota.

Gronowski and SDSU will be playing this Saturday at 11 am against Villanova in the Quarterfinals. Game is on ESPN for anybody that is interested in getting a sneak preview.

I am attaching a really good article that provides great detail on Gronowksi's development and evolution as a QB. Has a mention of NU showing mild interest in him as a HS senior but also says Wisconsin was his dream school. Very intriguing prospect.

There’s room on the bandwagon, hop right on! ;)

Reactions: epicbret
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT