ADVERTISEMENT

Trent Perry- USC PG Decommit

cedricmelons

Dec 13, 2001

Hopefully CCC at least makes a call. Prepped at prestigious Harvard-Westlake and had offers from Stanford, ND, Vandy, Rice, etc. Wonder why NU did not offer him?

These are the types of kids we should be all over if we want to stay a top Big Ten program.

Last edited:
Certainly a risk to ‘hand the keys’ to a freshman with a veteran squad around him, but it’s definitely a call that should be made. I wonder how many scholarships SMU has available, and whether SMU will have any transfers. (I’m sure they will, even if DUNK CITY SOUTH is a fun concept.)

(Aside: It’s pretty wild that Enfield left USC for SMU. Seems a step down in prestige. Perhaps he was approaching a strongly worded statement from the AD after missing the tourney. I was attributing it to conference shuffle, but SMU somehow is in the ACC instead of the Big 12 next year.)

(Aside: It’s pretty wild that Enfield left USC for SMU. Seems a step down in prestige. Perhaps he was approaching a strongly worded statement from the AD after missing the tourney. I was attributing it to conference shuffle, but SMU somehow is in the ACC instead of the Big 12 next year.)
Did anyone else read this story and think, "That was quick. Didn't he just leave Gulf Coast to go there like 2 years ago?" Turns out he's been at USC for a decade!

Certainly a risk to ‘hand the keys’ to a freshman with a veteran squad around him, but it’s definitely a call that should be made. I wonder how many scholarships SMU has available, and whether SMU will have any transfers. (I’m sure they will, even if DUNK CITY SOUTH is a fun concept.)

I suppose it could have been the neighborhood surrounding USC and the issues that come with that when your wife is a former swimsuit model and you have 3 teenage kids.

but I'm gonna guess it was the Dallas cash in a very large NIL war chest that convinced Enfield that he'd have no trouble "recruiting" at SMU. (Top 100 school, by the way)

“With the investments the University and its donors have made in support of SMU Basketball, we are charging confidently into the ACC,” said SMU President R. Gerald Turner. “With all that our campus and community have to offer, we believe we are well-positioned to compete alongside the nation’s best programs.”

Fun fact. Enfield replaced NU legend Kevin O'Neill at USC after KO was fired mid-season.

He was just dreading the flights from LA to Newark to play Rutgers, much more manageable at SMU.

I suppose it could have been the neighborhood surrounding USC and the issues that come with that when your wife is a former swimsuit model and you have 3 teenage kids.

but I'm gonna guess it was the Dallas cash in a very large NIL war chest that convinced Enfield that he'd have no trouble "recruiting" at SMU. (Top 100 school, by the way)

“With the investments the University and its donors have made in support of SMU Basketball, we are charging confidently into the ACC,” said SMU President R. Gerald Turner. “With all that our campus and community have to offer, we believe we are well-positioned to compete alongside the nation’s best programs.”

Fun fact. Enfield replaced NU legend Kevin O'Neill at USC after KO was fired mid-season.
Regarding Kevin O’Neill, he would appear on late night sports segments on local stations to discuss college and pro basketball. I found him to be a pretty incisive commentator the few times I saw him locally. Anyone know what he is up to these days.

Regarding Kevin O’Neill, he would appear on late night sports segments on local stations to discuss college and pro basketball. I found him to be a pretty incisive commentator the few times I saw him locally. Anyone know what he is up to these days.
Sounds like he’s sober

Sounds like he’s sober
He actually looked pretty good on our local tv sportscasts at the time, this was before the pandemic. I assumed he was living in SoCal then but haven’t seen him on or in the news since. He’s a pretty good analyst. Last coaching stop I think was as a fill-in with Arizona after USC. Then nada.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
His favorite hang out back in the day.

The classic dive bars have the “early” closing hours like 4am. When I lived in Pacific Beach, a beach community on Mission Bay and the ocean, there were an assortment of dive bars in the community (some with churches nearby for those who wanted to repent after a Saturday night of mischief). One of my local hangouts in PB to watch sporting events was Cass Street Bar & Grill which I have not been to much since I moved north to Del Mar area. It’s still there to check out.

The classic dive bars have the “early” closing hours like 4am. When I lived in Pacific Beach, a beach community on Mission Bay and the ocean, there were an assortment of dive bars in the community (some with churches nearby for those who wanted to repent after a Saturday night of mischief). One of my local hangouts in PB to watch sporting events was Cass Street Bar & Grill which I have not been to much since I moved north to Del Mar area. It’s still there to check out.
The Dume Room on Point Dume just outside Malibu in law school and the Mark during NU days.

I saw KON at the Deuce more than once. He would’ve made it about a week as a head coach in the social media era.

Reactions: techtim72
I saw KON at the Deuce more than once. He would’ve made it about a week as a head coach in the social media era.
I had an amazing conversation with Tim Doyle on the court at the Canseco Fieldhouse about his utilization of $3 cup night at The Keg to cosplay as a VIP high roller on his way to “batting over .200.” Legend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT