ADVERTISEMENT

Trevor Siemian trade ?

purplebirder

May 29, 2001
Tucson AZ
Several sources (e.g USA Today) are reporting that the Denver Broncos will pursue Tony Romo if the Cowboys release him. (If you Google Broncos + Tony Romo you can read the stories).If that happened it is speculated that Trevor could be traded..apparently the 49ers like him. Personally I would like to see Trevor in a Bears uniform but that organization may not view him as a "franchise QB"

Several sources (e.g USA Today) are reporting that the Denver Broncos will pursue Tony Romo if the Cowboys release him. (If you Google Broncos + Tony Romo you can read the stories).If that happened it is speculated that Trevor could be traded..apparently the 49ers like him. Personally I would like to see Trevor in a Bears uniform but that organization may not view him as a "franchise QB"

He has also been connected to the Bills.

More noteworthy to me is the fact that front offices remain interested in him after last season. Tells me they believe Denver's offensive issues were more on the OL than Trevor.

He has also been connected to the Bills.

More noteworthy to me is the fact that front offices remain interested in him after last season. Tells me they believe Denver's offensive issues were more on the OL than Trevor.
Haha lol what?

A QB who in his 2nd year (first of seeing time on the field) put up respectable #s, improved their offense significantly over what Peyton did the prior season or first round pick Paxton Lynch when he was in, while battling multiple injuries and dealing with a disaster of an OL, not to mention garnering the respect of offensive minds Gary Kubiak and John Elway... all while still signed to a ludicrously cheap rookie contract for the next 2 years? Nah, why would any NFL GM be interested in that?

If Denver is willing to trade him, they'll get a pretty high price in return. Let the bidding begin. Jimmy G was / is gonna go for a first rounder based on 2.5 games of strong play and with only 1 (less) cheap year of team control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Loved the scathing comments about the author in the Siemian to Buffalo article. It's pathetic what passes for journalism these days.

Link to article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bronco...tedly-wants-to-play-for-denver-222421375.html

Romo never lasted a complete season behind one of the best O Lines in football. Elway is not thinking this through. In Denver, Romo probably is out before the preseason is over. It is a terrible fit until or unless they can solve their O Line problems.
As someone who watched almost every Denver game last year, I completely agree. It is baffling that Denver is so focused on upgrading the QB, when that position was the least of Denver's problems on O through most of the season. I am surprised that Elway seems to be exploring the Romo option. Indeed, even a good chunk of the Broncos' fan base--which began last season firmly in the "play Lynch" camp--now seems to be commenting on the various articles AGAINST signing Romo and in favor of keeping the current QBs and focusing entirely on upgrading the OL. A lot of the fan comments are quite supportive of Trevor. With that said, there did seem to be an undercurrent in some of the reporting last year that Elway was more of a Lynch guy while Kubiak was firmly in the Siemian camp. Now that Kubiak is gone, Elway might prefer to have Romo be the stop-gap starter while the team attempts to develop Lynch.

My biased and humble opinion, though, is that Trevor did amazingly well given (a) the truly putrid OL play; (b) the frequent complete lack of a running game; and (c) having to play most of the season with a pretty gruesome injury (Google a Grade 5 AC separation and look at the graphics, if you have the stomach for it). I think he has the potential to be a quite good starting NFL QB without those obstacles. For how little they are paying Trevor, I think Denver would be nuts to let him go. If Denver signs Romo, though, it would be better for him if Denver does trade him. He is good enough to start someplace.

As someone who watched almost every Denver game last year, I completely agree. It is baffling that Denver is so focused on upgrading the QB, when that position was the least of Denver's problems on O through most of the season. I am surprised that Elway seems to be exploring the Romo option. Indeed, even a good chunk of the Broncos' fan base--which began last season firmly in the "play Lynch" camp--now seems to be commenting on the various articles AGAINST signing Romo and in favor of keeping the current QBs and focusing entirely on upgrading the OL. A lot of the fan comments are quite supportive of Trevor. With that said, there did seem to be an undercurrent in some of the reporting last year that Elway was more of a Lynch guy while Kubiak was firmly in the Siemian camp. Now that Kubiak is gone, Elway might prefer to have Romo be the stop-gap starter while the team attempts to develop Lynch.

My biased and humble opinion, though, is that Trevor did amazingly well given (a) the truly putrid OL play; (b) the frequent complete lack of a running game; and (c) having to play most of the season with a pretty gruesome injury (Google a Grade 5 AC separation and look at the graphics, if you have the stomach for it). I think he has the potential to be a quite good starting NFL QB without those obstacles. For how little they are paying Trevor, I think Denver would be nuts to let him go. If Denver signs Romo, though, it would be better for him if Denver does trade him. He is good enough to start someplace.

It's somewhat difficult to decipher whether Elway is really focused on QB/Romo or whether it's just a story the media likes to push.

Reactions: ricko654321
It's somewhat difficult to decipher whether Elway is really focused on QB/Romo or whether it's just a story the media likes to push.
That is true. Elway is constrained by NFL rules from saying anything specifically about Romo, but I didn't think that some of his recent, veiled remarks were that encouraging.

I'm very much with you on this, not sure whether it is Elway's thoughts or not. Pushing to start Paxton over Trevor I would expect from Elway. Trying to bring in Romo seems unlike him. But who knows. I'm with the above poster that if they bring in Elway I hope they do trade Trevor. It makes sense to keep him and Lynch to compete and have injury insurance, but not all 3.

Must be that by the time they are ready they would have killed off the QBs they have.

And nothing against Dak Prescott but when a rookie can step in and have equal success to Romo, that tells you how solid the supporting cast on offense is in Dallas. If Elway drops a lot of money on Romo rather than working on his O-Line then the fans should cry havoc.

Denver guy here. Broncos leadership has essentially laughed every time someone in the media brings up QB upgrade. They suggest they are content

And nothing against Dak Prescott but when a rookie can step in and have equal success to Romo, that tells you how solid the supporting cast on offense is in Dallas. If Elway drops a lot of money on Romo rather than working on his O-Line then the fans should cry havoc.
The season before, the Cowboys were absolutely putrid without Romo.

If you like Trevor, why would you want him to go to the Bears? Did he piss you off? /S

Mort (ESPN) is reporting that Dallas is now looking to shake a draft pick from the Texans or Denver and that the Jets might be interested in a trade for Siemian.

Elway loves having his picks, so this might bump Romo to the Texans (who I always thought was the better fit for Romo), but trading for Romo does have 1 advantage - no guaranteed $$ left on the contract.

Interesting about the Jets (would make Greenie ecstatic).

While Elway naturally wants to see his 1st round pick succeed, seems like the new coaching staff for the Broncos like Siemian more than Lynch - and there has been talk about Lynch's work habits (Lynch has never beaten Siemian into Dove Valley whereas in his rookie year, Siemian would often beat Manning into the facilities).

The reason why the 49ers were floated out as being interested in Siemian was due to Siemian being familiar w/ the system that Shanahan runs (which is based off the Kubiak system) and it being reported that Shanahan told Elway that he was impressed w/ Siemian in his interview.

One thing that doesn't can't much attention is that Trevor is the closest thing to being Peyton's protoge - despite having spent only 1 season as teammates, Manning took a liking to Trevor and Peyton doesn't have a history of having anything but a work relationship w/ his back-ups.

Many former Broncos players are high on Siemian, but the one who probably has the highest opinion of Siemian as an NFL QB is Brandon Stokley - who just also happens to be one of Peyton's closest buds.

Either way, would be foolish for Elway to trade Siemian, but aside from getting Manning, Elway hasn't had the best luck in picking QBs (much less offensive linemen).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT