ADVERTISEMENT

Trivia questions I don't know the answer to

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
As many of you know, the Northwestern archives have made films of many old games available at the following link:
http://media.northwestern.edu/catalog?f[collection_ssim][]=Northwestern+University+Football+Films&sort=date_ssi+desc,+title_ssort+asc

The films are a treasure trove of images showing how the game has changed. Since it is the off season, I have been browsing some of them, and in watching the 1982 NIU game, I noted that the placekicker was left footed and kicked straight toe. I am old enough to remember when Pete Gogolak, Garo Yepremian and Jan Stenerud arrived on the football scene; within a few years, most kickers became instep/ soccer style, replacing the Lou Grozas and George Blandas of the world.

I do remember that John Duvic won kicking duties in 1983, kicking soccer style, and I assume we have had no straight-on kickers since.

The 1982 stats list two kickers, Paul Jolas and Rick Salvino.

Here is the first question I do not know the answer to: Who was the last NU kicker to score using a straight toe kick? I assume it was one of the two, but I do not remember either vividly, and can't identify which one is in the 1982 films. I also am assuming there was no later conventional kicker for the Cats.

The follow up question is raised because when the soccer kickers were coming to prominence, my friends at the time were fond of pointing out that before the change if the shape of the football in the '30s, dropkicks were common, and that the change to soccer kicking was a similar phenomenon. With this said, does anyone know who the last NU player was to score on a dropkick, and what year it was? As a bonus, has anyone found, in the NU archive film, a film of an NU player scoring by dropkick?

Since I do not know the answers to the questions, I can't arbitrate the correctness of anyone's answers.

Reactions: NUCat320
I'm not sure of the last successful drop kick for NU, but the last that I am aware of was by Ollie Adelman vs. N. Dakota St. at Dyche Stadium in 1936. If there were Wildcat drop kicks after that, you can count them on one hand.

NU continued to face drop kickers in the '30s, including Nile Kinnick. I think Steve Spurrier might be the last drop kicker the team ever encountered, in the mid sixties.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I'm not sure of the last successful drop kick for NU, but the last that I am aware of was by Ollie Adelman vs. N. Dakota St. at Dyche Stadium in 1936. If there were Wildcat drop kicks after that, you can count them on one hand.

NU continued to face drop kickers in the '30s, including Nile Kinnick. I think Steve Spurrier might be the last drop kicker the team ever encountered, in the mid sixties.
Thanks!

OK, here is your bonus to question #2.

Not only is there a film of NU scoring a drop kick, there is (at least) one game on film in which the 'Cats score multiple drop kicks!

Check out the video of NU vs. Ohio State, 1931, in Columbus:
( http://media.northwestern.edu/media_objects/3197xm08n )

If you only watch one NU vintage game, make it this one. Among the highlights in NU's 10-0 beatdown of the Buckeyes:

• Anyone who thinks Big Ten football in the 1930s is only three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust will be surprised. Both teams sling the ball all over the field in a wild game.
  • On video part 1, at the 1:09 mark, NU intercepts a tipped OSU pass (one of three picks NU had in the game). Two plays later (1:29 mark), NU fires a pass, then pulls a great hook & ladder for a huge gain.
  • On video part 2, at the 2:47 mark, we see NUMB. NU brought the band for this one.
  • At the 3:13 mark, early in the third quarter, All-American Pug Rentner has a great long run for a touchdown. At 4:03, kicker Oliver Olson uses a drop kick to get the extra point.
  • At the 9:23 mark, Olson executes another drop kick to secure the game, 10-0.

Not only is there a film of NU scoring a drop kick, there is (at least) one game on film in which the 'Cats score multiple drop kicks!

If you only watch one NU vintage game, make it this one. Among the highlights in NU's 10-0 beatdown of the Buckeyes:

• Anyone who thinks Big Ten football in the 1930s is only three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust will be surprised. Both teams sling the ball all over the field in a wild game.
  • On video part 1, at the 1:09 mark, NU intercepts a tipped OSU pass (one of three picks NU had in the game). Two plays later (1:29 mark), NU fires a pass, then pulls a great hook & ladder for a huge gain.
  • On video part 2, at the 2:47 mark, we see NUMB. NU brought the band for this one.
  • At the 3:13 mark, early in the third quarter, All-American Pug Rentner has a great long run for a touchdown. At 4:03, kicker Oliver Olson uses a drop kick to get the extra point.

Speaking of "slinging" .... here's a link to a sports show out of WBUR in Boston "Only a Game". This show focus on the origins of the forward pass in football. It's a great show in general, but here is the episode "podcasted"

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/12/15/december-16-2017-oag

Many thanks! What a great film.

Your question reminded me of Chico Kurzawski of quick kick fame, not drop kicks. Best offense we had in the late 60's.

For the podcast listeners, Radio Lab just replayed a show about the early days of college football and the Native American teams from Carlisle (PA), plus the introduction of the forward pass. It might be the audio analog of the BUR show.

As many of you know, the Northwestern archives have made films of many old games available at the following link:
http://media.northwestern.edu/catalog?f[collection_ssim][]=Northwestern+University+Football+Films&sort=date_ssi+desc,+title_ssort+asc

The films are a treasure trove of images showing how the game has changed. Since it is the off season, I have been browsing some of them, and in watching the 1982 NIU game, I noted that the placekicker was left footed and kicked straight toe. I am old enough to remember when Pete Gogolak, Garo Yepremian and Jan Stenerud arrived on the football scene; within a few years, most kickers became instep/ soccer style, replacing the Lou Grozas and George Blandas of the world.

I do remember that John Duvic won kicking duties in 1983, kicking soccer style, and I assume we have had no straight-on kickers since.

The 1982 stats list two kickers, Paul Jolas and Rick Salvino.

Here is the first question I do not know the answer to: Who was the last NU kicker to score using a straight toe kick? I assume it was one of the two, but I do not remember either vividly, and can't identify which one is in the 1982 films. I also am assuming there was no later conventional kicker for the Cats.

The follow up question is raised because when the soccer kickers were coming to prominence, my friends at the time were fond of pointing out that before the change if the shape of the football in the '30s, dropkicks were common, and that the change to soccer kicking was a similar phenomenon. With this said, does anyone know who the last NU player was to score on a dropkick, and what year it was? As a bonus, has anyone found, in the NU archive film, a film of an NU player scoring by dropkick?

Since I do not know the answers to the questions, I can't arbitrate the correctness of anyone's answers.
Rick Salvino is the last straight on kicker. As a Kicker myself, Jolas was soccer style.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT