ADVERTISEMENT

TruelyUNinteresting…

The email that I got says “The Remembering Ryan Field auction will close on Monday, April 15 at 9 a.m.”

What type of “fan” craps on an auction designed to raise NIL monies for its student-athletes? You must be fun at parties.
A fan of college sport who decries the NIL system that is corrupting a good thing and making it into a bad thing, particularly for NU which will suffer in this era until it is inevitably relegated to whatever hodgepodge remains of student athletics after proving it does not have or can’t generate the resouces necessary to compete with the elite in pro sports.

• Sad
Reactions: FeralFelidae
A fan of college sport who decries the NIL system that is corrupting a good thing and making it into a bad thing, particularly for NU which will suffer in this era until it is inevitably relegated to whatever hodgepodge remains of student athletics after proving it does not have or can’t generate the resouces necessary to compete with the elite in pro sports.
Perhaps you like the "old way" better, in which coaches, administration, and non revenue athletes were nothing more than remorae (or sea lamprey) feeding off the football shark.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Perhaps you like the "old way" better, in which coaches, administration, and non revenue athletes were nothing more than remorae (or sea lamprey) feeding off the football shark.
Well the problem does relate to shark-infested waters.

What type of “fan” craps on an auction designed to raise NIL monies for its student-athletes? You must be fun at parties.
He’s very cranky because “the old way of college football”, where true student athletes studied hard, combed their hair properly, drank hard on the weekends but kept their cool, and always got the girl, no longer exists.

Because it never did and players have been getting paid forever. Now it’s slightly above-boardish.

And they don’t have to trade autographs for tattoos and call it a scandal.

Oh I see, all the female athletes are lamprey.

I feel your pain.

If I wanted to watch the NBA, I'd watch the NBA. (I don't)
If I wanted to watch the G-League, I'd watch the G-League. (I don't)

If I wanted to watch a high-level of amateur competition, I'd watch college basketball. (I do)

For me, as my kids both graduate from their universities, I can see my interest level falling off pretty sharply as the dynamics continue to devolve.

I feel your pain.

If I wanted to watch the NBA, I'd watch the NBA. (I don't)
If I wanted to watch the G-League, I'd watch the G-League. (I don't)

If I wanted to watch a high-level of amateur competition, I'd watch college basketball. (I do)

For me, as my kids both graduate from their universities, I can see my interest level falling off pretty sharply as the dynamics continue to devolve.
No it’s not the NBA. Not even close. The VAST majority of basketball players will never sniff the NBA and they know it. What exactly is wrong with the “workers” getting a piece of the pie for the short period that they are in the arena. Before the Fat Cats all got rich on the back of college students many of which were from disadvantaged backgrounds.

The NCAA could have gradually loosened the reigns to avoid the wild Wild West, probably even negotiate some enforcement steps for malfeasance. They choose to ride the gravy train as long as possible.

I disagree that the sport is somehow less appealing, PWB. Last year was my favorite as a NU fan. We don’t have that season without NIL for Boo. I doubt Boo returns for a fifth year without NIL. What a great investment it turned out to be. Yes, there will be shady $h*T going on, but believe me there always has been ( I’ve seen it ).

Oh I see, all the female athletes are lamprey.
I'm not sure if that's a double entendre or accusing me of being sexist, but I mean ALL non revenue scholarship athletes, including any male except MBB (pays for itself) and FB (pays for absolutely everything else)

No it’s not the NBA. Not even close. The VAST majority of basketball players will never sniff the NBA and they know it. What exactly is wrong with the “workers” getting a piece of the pie for the short period that they are in the arena. Before the Fat Cats all got rich on the back of college students many of which were from disadvantaged backgrounds.

The NCAA could have gradually loosened the reigns to avoid the wild Wild West, probably even negotiate some enforcement steps for malfeasance. They choose to ride the gravy train as long as possible.

I disagree that the sport is somehow less appealing, PWB. Last year was my favorite as a NU fan. We don’t have that season without NIL for Boo. I doubt Boo returns for a fifth year without NIL. What a great investment it turned out to be. Yes, there will be shady $h*T going on, but believe me there always has been ( I’ve seen it ).

I like sports primarily for the competition. I could go watch a decent Little League baseball game and be entertained. High school hoops. Park district soccer. Whatever. I think athletic competition builds character and, importantly, teamwork.

As the money and ticket prices have exploded, I have slowly checked out of the professional sports. (Could also be an effect of aging and "rooting" for stocks) The money makes me not care about the players. At all. I stopped watching golf "cold turkey" when the Saudis got involved and the golfers started a bunch of b*tch fights.

And now that "only money matters" mentality is doing the same thing to college athletics.

People seem to completely ignore the cost "regular" students and their families have to pay to go to college. Any athlete who gets a full scholarship is getting paid, every year, whether he sees the field or not. I have no problem with additional compensation, paid by the university, similar to a work/study job... i.e. Hourly pay on top of the salary the players draw in the form of tuition and housing.

Explain to me why you think academic institutions should be allowed to pay a specific student $500,000 to play football for their team. How does that make sense?

I like sports primarily for the competition. I could go watch a decent Little League baseball game and be entertained. High school hoops. Park district soccer. Whatever. I think athletic competition builds character and, importantly, teamwork.

As the money and ticket prices have exploded, I have slowly checked out of the professional sports. (Could also be an effect of aging and "rooting" for stocks) The money makes me not care about the players. At all. I stopped watching golf "cold turkey" when the Saudis got involved and the golfers started a bunch of b*tch fights.

And now that "only money matters" mentality is doing the same thing to college athletics.

People seem to completely ignore the cost "regular" students and their families have to pay to go to college. Any athlete who gets a full scholarship is getting paid, every year, whether he sees the field or not. I have no problem with additional compensation, paid by the university, similar to a work/study job... i.e. Hourly pay on top of the salary the players draw in the form of tuition and housing.

Explain to me why you think academic institutions should be allowed to pay a specific student $500,000 to play football for their team. How does that make sense?
If the athlete doesn’t contribute to the generation of revenue they shouldn’t get paid. If the athlete is a primary reason for that revenue generation they should get paid.

Hate to say this but many many athletes don’t go to school for the education. It’s sad and short sighted. However, many schools aren’t like NU and they could care less what’s happens to the athlete after he or she leaves. The “more than just athletics “ approach is why I became a NU fan. I have seen the don’t care approach up close. That is probably why I side with the athletes to get what they can when they can.

Reactions: NUCat320
If the athlete doesn’t contribute to the generation of revenue they shouldn’t get paid. If the athlete is a primary reason for that revenue generation they should get paid.

Hate to say this but many many athletes don’t go to school for the education. It’s sad and short sighted. However, many schools aren’t like NU and they could care less what’s happens to the athlete after he or she leaves. The “more than just athletics “ approach is why I became a NU fan. I have seen the don’t care approach up close. That is probably why I side with the athletes to get what they can when they can.

I'd continue the dialog but this thread was started to be about NU's NIL auction.
Maybe another thread, another time?

Free market capitalism, baby! What.... are you some kinda' Communist??

Explain why players who devote 25+ hours a week to a program that generates tens of millions of dollars for the university — and who were recruited to the university specifically because of their skill in football — should not be paid. How does that make sense?

Reactions: NJCat
I'm not sure if that's a double entendre or accusing me of being sexist, but I mean ALL non revenue scholarship athletes, including any male except MBB (pays for itself) and FB (pays for absolutely everything else)
Yes, because NU is a school. To the extent that a school should be in the business of athletics, it should be to provide opportunities for athletes to attend school. Such opportunities should be afforded to men and women in proportion to our student body, as is dictated by Title IX. That's as it should be, because NU is a school. It would never occur to me to lump all the female athletes in a category that you labeled as lampreys.

Yes, because NU is a school. To the extent that a school should be in the business of athletics, it should be to provide opportunities for athletes to attend school. Such opportunities should be afforded to men and women in proportion to our student body, as is dictated by Title IX. That's as it should be, because NU is a school. It would never occur to me to lump all the female athletes in a category that you labeled as lampreys.
I agree with these things. I simply think it is unfair for 85 football players to have to generate >$1M each in exchange for the spurious value of a scholarship, whereas ALL (male and female) non revenue athletes, by definition, generate nearly no revenue but get the same benefit. The only economies like this that I know of are horse racing and indentured servitude

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I agree with these things. I simply think it is unfair for 85 football players to have to generate >$1M each in exchange for the spurious value of a scholarship, whereas ALL (male and female) non revenue athletes, by definition, generate nearly no revenue but get the same benefit. The only economies like this that I know of are horse racing and indentured servitude
I would've played football if I were offered a spurious scholarship. Happily.

I would've played football if I were offered a spurious scholarship. Happily.
My understanding of NUs need-based financial aid is, admittedly, a bit dated. I last participated in alumni / student interviews circa 2007. So, bear with me. My understanding is that, outside of athletes, needy students still get actual aid, not just loans, so, for many kids, the mythical 90k/year scholarship is, well, a myth. So let's say the average cost to attend (Economics major, we make a lot of assumptions) is 35k a year. Let's further say that a football player is engaged in games, practice, training, films, or travel for 30 hours a week, including summers. I feel that's too low, but, for argument sake 1500 hours a year. That's 23/hour, not terrible for a 19 year old, but considering the skill set, hazard and difficulty, 23/hour would be low-end for a construction job.

Basically it is a work/study program.

Further, if you look at state schools, where the cost to attend for anyone (not just needy) is around 20k (say Wisc or IA), the kids are getting 10/hour for a scholarship.

My understanding of NUs need-based financial aid is, admittedly, a bit dated. I last participated in alumni / student interviews circa 2007. So, bear with me. My understanding is that, outside of athletes, needy students still get actual aid, not just loans, so, for many kids, the mythical 90k/year scholarship is, well, a myth. So let's say the average cost to attend (Economics major, we make a lot of assumptions) is 35k a year. Let's further say that a football player is engaged in games, practice, training, films, or travel for 30 hours a week, including summers. I feel that's too low, but, for argument sake 1500 hours a year. That's 23/hour, not terrible for a 19 year old, but considering the skill set, hazard and difficulty, 23/hour would be low-end for a construction job.

Basically it is a work/study program.

Further, if you look at state schools, where the cost to attend for anyone (not just needy) is around 20k (say Wisc or IA), the kids are getting 10/hour for a scholarship.
Nobody was forcing them to do it. They were always free to choose the low-end construction job if that were a better prospect than a no-debt college degree.

Nobody was forcing them to do it. They were always free to choose the low-end construction job if that were a better prospect than a no-debt college degree.
To be clear, I mean going to college AND working, instead of risking life and limb (and CTE) for dear Ole Alma Mater

To be clear, I mean going to college AND working, instead of risking life and limb (and CTE) for dear Ole Alma Mater
That option was open to them, too. It might be tough to work a daytime construction job when one must attend classes, but I worked construction over the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT