ADVERTISEMENT

Turk's "Game Analysis and Player grades" Post Nebraska

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Mr All Turk: , Dean Lowry
All Turk Awards: Van Hoose, Walker, Lowry, Gibson, Mogus, Thorson, Jackson, G Dickerson, Vitale, Mitchell

OC: McCall: Grade B+
I'd like to see him move the pocket, but he did call a decent game and had some nice personnel utilization and offensive schemes. Relied more on superbacks with 2 sb setups and bot vitale and G dickerson in pattern on same plays. Also, saw more of two back set with jackson and vault. I dont remember but did long play? It could have been even better if the players had executed the plays better. Olson breakdowns came at inconvienient times.

Dc: hankwitz: B+
Stayed aggressive and should have had better results if not for armstrong mobility.

Head coach: grade A
always a tuff job to get and keep the team competitive after two ass whippings.

QB: grade B+
Good decision making. Im still bothered at him running outta bounds when he had at least ten or more yards he could have got with jackson and two blockers in front of him. Less drops. Seems like thorson starts playing his best ball in third quarters.

Rb: grade B

Wr: grade B-

OL: grade C
olson weakest play.

Special teams: grade: c-
Mitchell saves it from a D

Dl:grade A
lowry and gibson were solid. Ifeadi needs a bit more strength as he is just a half step away from several sacks. I expected more from him this year. Xwas and thompson got routinely blown off the ball. Chapman got beat up other than a couple long drawn out plays that allowed his great motor to catch up.

Lb: B
walker had a solid game but displays strength and horsepower weaknesses once any blocker stands in front of him. Literally no fight at all to shread blockers. Once he blitzed and a small rb blocked him and walker sorta just stopped. Wth?

Db: grade C
van hoose very good game although he gave up a few plays. Godwin and watkins displayed serious flaws. Missed tackles by godwin, watkins simply can not get off blocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnnybigcat
I thought there was a bye on Saturday? Was it a typo? Did we play BYU? Oh, man. I feel so stupid.

Mr All Turk: , Dean Lowry
All Turk Awards: Van Hoose, Walker, Lowry, Gibson, Mogus, Thorson, Jackson, G Dickerson, Vitale, Mitchell

Dl:grade A
lowry and gibson were solid. Ifeadi needs a bit more strength as he is just a half step away from several sacks. I expected more from him this year. Xwas and thompson got routinely blown off the ball. Chapman got beat up other than a couple long drawn out plays that allowed his great motor to catch up.

That's your assessment of Thompson's play? I don't know how closely you looked at the DL play, but Thompson impressed the heck out of me with his ability to stone OL right at the LOS by getting under them with great leverage. He gets under them, jacks them up, even if they're 50-70 pounds heavier than him, and leaves them spinning their wheels trying to get some push against him. He is excellent at this!! It's funny to watch at times. Of course, UNL's OL's were pretty mediocre IMO. He also was able to shed OL and make a few tackles. Thompson is going to be a beast with a year or two in the weight room. Chapman was going backward on rails on several plays that I saw. I realize he usually plays on passing downs, but he needs to learn a few things from Thompson on staying low and getting underneath his blockers. Otherwise, I liked his energy on pass rushes and his ability to spot and pick up a RB drifting out into the flats and cover him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT