ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Ta’Quan Roberson was NOT offered by NU

Perhaps, but another way to look at it is that if Lausch did jump him, then there really is no reason to lament his departure. Probably addition by subtraction and at least we free up a scholarship for somebody who actually wants to be here and compete.
We aren’t using all the existing schollies.

Bryant was hardly a disappointment except that he only had one year of eligibility. We would be feeling pretty good now if he could play.
Not likely with a talent depleted team with no stellar D. This hot transfer they are expecting, must be a real gunslinger.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
If they handled it delicately, then it is on Sullivan. Only people that know are the coaches and Sullivan. Shame on Sullivan if he doesn't like a little competition for the starting job. I am no fan of portal guys. Everyone we have landed was a disappointment, with the exception of Ramsey, and he was more like a steady game manager than a gunslinger, which is all what we needed in '20. We need a gunslinger that can take off when need be for '24. No great D to bail anyone out. I wonder if an OSU or OU kid is the target.
Uh Ben Bryant?

I remember Roberson from the 2021 Penn St. - Iowa game. Both teams were in the Top 5 and Kinnick Stadium was rocking, but Penn State came out strong with its starting QB Sean Clifford, but then he got hurt in the 2nd QTR and Penn State's offense could do almost next to nothing with Roberson in and Iowa came back to win narrowly (and Roberson was, possibly unfairly, the scapegoat in eyes of PSU fans):

How about all the work Lou and Matt put in? Would you pay for that??
You mean all the deleted and locked posts and threads? I would pay if they really backed off or provided a non-safe space area, behind paywall or not, that those with some thicker skin could post more freely.

Paying to get censored for the benefit of maybe getting a little information a bit earlier seems to send the wrong message 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: No Chores
You mean all the deleted and locked posts and threads? I would pay if they really backed off or provided a non-safe space area, behind paywall or not, that those with some thicker skin could post more freely.

Paying to get censored for the benefit of maybe getting a little information a bit earlier seems to send the wrong message 🤷‍♂️
I do pay, and I'm not happy about posts being deleted that relate to the actions of President Schill that expose the University to potential legal liability. Why this is not relevant to athletics, such as recruiting, is beyond me. However, I won't hold my breath waiting for a response from the mods.

I do pay, and I'm not happy about posts being deleted that relate to the actions of President Schill that expose the University to potential legal liability. Why this is not relevant to athletics, such as recruiting, is beyond me. However, I won't hold my breath waiting for a response from the mods.
It's not related to athletics, because he is testifying about a political issue, not an athletic issue.

I find it ridiculous to say this when Hilinski has played solidly in the SEC at South Carolina against the likes of Alabama and Georgia, not to mention his earlier games at NU. Not exactly sure what happened after that / but I do wonder if it’s the same thing that happened to Hunter Johnson, and if it was more Bajakian and Fitz and our offense than it was the QB, and whether Lujuan might fix him. I’m not saying it’s gonna happen but I do wonder and as far as potentially be a solid back up, I would say he can be that at least, and he has proven the ability to win games probably more so than Sullivan ever did (Hilinski has won more games as a starting P5 QB than Sullivan).

To me, Hilinski looked terrified at times, back when he was playing.
The O-line was porous and he'd look downfield and either

a) see that nobody was open
or
b) see a blur of activity and not be able to identify his open receiver(s).

Then he'd look at the guys coming toward him and duck or start running for his life.

Ben Bryant stood in there, felt the pressure and threw good passes.

However, Hilinski probably has a better arm in practice.

I hope he isn't a hopeless case. Its possible he'd be okay with better blocking and targets.

To me, Hilinski looked terrified at times, back when he was playing.
The O-line was porous and he'd look downfield and either

a) see that nobody was open
or
b) see a blur of activity and not be able to identify his open receiver(s).

Then he'd look at the guys coming toward him and duck or start running for his life.

Ben Bryant stood in there, felt the pressure and threw good passes.

However, Hilinski probably has a better arm in practice.

I hope he isn't a hopeless case. Its possible he'd be okay with better blocking and targets.
Not disputing this, but why wasn’t he as terrified when Bama and Georgia was sending their pressure against him? Were the Cock WRs and OLs so much better than ours?

Or did Bajakian just ruin him and Hunter?

Our top 5 D under Hank looked horrible the next year, many of the same players looked completely different under JON, and then they magically became decent again when Braun took over. I can’t help but to believe it maybe could have been the coaching and schemes.

Reactions: TheC
Not disputing this, but why wasn’t he as terrified when Bama and Georgia was sending their pressure against him? Were the Cock WRs and OLs so much better than ours?

Or did Bajakian just ruin him and Hunter?

Our top 5 D under Hank looked horrible the next year, many of the same players looked completely different under JON, and then they magically became decent again when Braun took over. I can’t help but to believe it maybe could have been the coaching and schemes.

Hunter couldn't see the field. I'm sure of that. I can't blame Bajakian.

I never saw Hilinski at South Carolina, but I think its a safe bet to say their receivers were better than ours. Hilinski started taking classes in Jan 2019... He played pretty well that fall after the starting QB was injured. Got sacked 19 times in 11 games, so he was getting hit. The next year he didn't play much at all... then he transferred to NU.

Quite possible that our offensive scheme was a factor, but he hasn't improved, which is on him as well as the coaches.

It's not related to athletics, because he is testifying about a political issue, not an athletic issue.
He is at the pinnacle of everything NU, including Wildcat athletics, in these unprecedented times.. And we are still getting to know him. That makes nearly everything about his public activities both interesting and relevant to us fans. We want to know and share opinions about the man in charge.

Would you tank discussions about KAH speaking to Congress about Biden's re-writing of Title IX? Or the state of women's sports and transgenderism? Or the impact of state NIL laws on the landscape of highly successful non-revenue women's sports? I hope not. Sometimes sports and politics and/or the law merge to create issues we fans are interested in.

Let me respectfully object to substituting your judgment and heavy handed censorship for the informed wishes of your NU sports fans.

GOUNUII

Would you tank discussions about KAH speaking to Congress about Biden's re-writing of Title IX? Or the state of women's sports and transgenderism? Or the impact of state NIL laws on the landscape of highly successful non-revenue women's sports? I hope not. Sometimes sports and politics and/or the law merge to create issues we fans are interested in.
All of these items you've mentioned are related to athletics in some way, so no, I would not remove them. What Schill is testifying about currently is not related to athletics.
Let me respectfully object to substituting your judgment and heavy handed censorship for the informed wishes of your NU sports fans.
Duly noted.

• Sad
Reactions: IGNORE2
He is at the pinnacle of everything NU, including Wildcat athletics, in these unprecedented times.. And we are still getting to know him. That makes nearly everything about his public activities both interesting and relevant to us fans. We want to know and share opinions about the man in charge.

GOUNUII
Very well put my old friend, Your post reads like a blurb from an appellate court brief or argument. You are right and Cappy is wrong, but he'll never admit it. Nonetheless, I'm happy because I can continue to savor your post for some time. Hope all is well with you and yours.

All of these items you've mentioned are related to athletics in some way, so no, I would not remove them. What Schill is testifying about currently is not related to athletics.

Duly noted.
Northwestern’s President is testifying before the United States Congress, and we can’t discuss the potential athletic consequences of his performance/testimony?

Very well put my old friend, Your post reads like a blurb from an appellate court brief or argument. You are right and Cappy is wrong, but he'll never admit it. Nonetheless, I'm happy because I can continue to savor your post for some time. Hope all is well with you and yours.
It’s sad about the censorship. I have never met Cap like I have with you or GoNU, sure he is a passionate NU fan and overall great dude, but he has a huge blind spot to the impact of University mismanagement as it relates to Athletics and he’ll never admit it. I would love to share a libation with him some day.

An overwhelming number of folks disagreeing and pleading for leniency hasn’t gotten him to re-evaluate that position, so you two successful counselors aren’t likely to sway his thought process. Ironically, I believe all this issues would just play out and die in normal thread discourse, but digging his heels in actually exacerbates the situation.

It’s sad about the censorship. I have never met Cap like I have with you or GoNU, sure he is a passionate NU fan and overall great dude, but he has a huge blind spot to the impact of University mismanagement as it relates to Athletics and he’ll never admit it. I would love to share a libation with him some day.

An overwhelming number of folks disagreeing and pleading for leniency hasn’t gotten him to re-evaluate that position, so you two successful counselors aren’t likely to sway his thought process. Ironically, I believe all this issues would just play out and die in normal thread discourse, but digging his heels in actually exacerbates the situation.
Firmly agree with all of this!

Duly noted.
Schill is intimately related to the force and direction of Northwestern Athletics. At a time when both NU and the college sports world remain embroiled in athletic, political and legal uncertainty. Being the new kid on the block and having already ignited a firestorm of dissension on several fronts, I think it's pretty obvious that Wildcat fans would like to size him up in whatever context he appears and no matter the subject. We don't get many chances to do that. In fact, his comments on a subject far removed from athletics could be extremely telling on what kind of cloth he's cut from and what we can expect from him as we work our way through multiple challenges to NU remaining competitive at the highest level of college athletics.

GOUNUII

I sure miss FloridAlum.

Northwestern’s President is testifying before the United States Congress, and we can’t discuss the potential athletic consequences of his performance/testimony?
What are the potential athletic consequences of him testifying in regards to political protests on campus? Again, if his testimony was about improperly firing football coaches, hazing in sports, or any of the things GoU mentioned, by all means, have at it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT