ADVERTISEMENT

Upon reflection

Huge long term damage has been done to the football program and as a result to the University’s athletic programs. Football is the funding engine that pays for all the other athletic programs at NU. Already faced with huge changes in the football competitive landscape (conference realignments (UCLA & USC anyone), Pay for play/NIL) with the firing of Pat Fitzgerald, Mr. NU football and the main reason many of our recruits chose NU, I really question if NU can even compete let alone thrive in the Big Ten going forward. If we embarrass ourselves on the field over the next five years, we may come to the point where by mutual agreement NU football is no longer part of the Big Ten. If that happens, watch out because the Title IX requirements will trigger a blood bath in NU’s athletic departments. We may not have to worry about baseball, soccer or lots of other sports anymore.
That’s so ridiculous. Northwestern would never voluntarily leave the Big Ten unless the conference dissolves (a very real possibility in the coming years). I don’t even think the team is going to be that bad this year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them win week 1.

That’s so ridiculous. Northwestern would never voluntarily leave the Big Ten unless the conference dissolves (a very real possibility in the coming years). I don’t even think the team is going to be that bad this year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them win week 1.
There are many NU people, some on this very board, who resent the focus on athletics at the school or who believe the school would be better served by competing in the Ivy League or similar constructed conference. I think some of those people are currently on the Board and it would not surprise me if the current president harbors some sentiments along those lines. If the conditions align just right and NU really stinks it up on the field, the current trend of conference realignment could result in a MUTUAL parting of the ways. Whether that means the top teams in the Big Ten take their ball and start a new conference or push out the weaker players in the Big Ten to invite other powerhouse teams in is six of one, half a dozen of the other. A difference without a distinction.

Reactions: WaveJumper
There are many NU people, some on this very board, who resent the focus on athletics at the school or who believe the school would be better served by competing in the Ivy League or similar constructed conference. I think some of those people are currently on the Board and it would not surprise me if the current president harbors some sentiments along those lines. If the conditions align just right and NU really stinks it up on the field, the current trend of conference realignment could result in a MUTUAL parting of the ways. Whether that means the top teams in the Big Ten take their ball and start a new conference or push out the weaker players in the Big Ten to invite other powerhouse teams in is six of one, half a dozen of the other. A difference without a distinction.
Schill came from Oregon. Doubtful he is anti-athletics. Further, people can harrumph all thru want , so long as the B1G is pouring HUGE sums of money into the school, we aren't going anywhere. Is it stupid that the athletic tag wags the university dog? Probably. But here we are.

Don’t see it. What makes you think the Ivy League is even accepting new members?

Schill came from Oregon. Doubtful he is anti-athletics. Further, people can harrumph all thru want , so long as the B1G is pouring HUGE sums of money into the school, we aren't going anywhere. Is it stupid that the athletic tag wags the university dog? Probably. But here we are.
I don’t really care where he came from. From what I have heard and seen so far, I think it’s fair to say that at best he is indifferent about athletics.

Don’t see it. What makes you think the Ivy League is even accepting new members?
I used the Ivy as an example. With all the conference realignments going on, every school in the Power 5 has to continue to prove it belongs. Either by subtraction or defection, the elite programs are looking to align themselves with one another. NU is already an outlier in the Big and a return to dark ages like performances on the field for an extended period of time could become very problematic. Could easily see a situation in the not too distant future where schools like NU, Vandy, Georgia Tech, BC, UConn, Stanford etc. are forced to look for alternatives to their current conferences and perhaps drawn to each other to form a new conference.

Yes. Let's bring in dimbulbs and destroy what makes NU football special.
We know that most football players wouldn’t get in if they were not scholarship athletes. To use your offensive term, the NU locker room is already overrun with dimbulbs.

Maybe that’s why they thought putting on creepy masks and rubbing their junk on the weak was a good team building activity!

No offense, but you can get monkeys to graduate at any school as long as they don’t break the law.
?QUE?

My experience at NU was academically challenging, to say the least. All of a sudden I had to read and write some 3 times what I had ever read and written before and it never slowed down. The profs even criticized my brilliant work!!! I felt I had achieved something when I graduated. "Monkeys"??? My take is if you graduate from NU, you're an educated dude/chiquita. You may have gotten in with lighter credentials than some others because of some superior talent, but you raise them through your education.

Breaking the law might not apply either because apparently some sexual assaulters at NU have graduated and more are in the pipeline.

Reactions: nickcat4
The graduation rates show this statement is in error.
You’re right. The current players aren’t dimbulbs, nor will they be if standards for scholarship football players are further relaxed.

(Of course, the argument here was always that Fitz had earned his right to exceptions — a right that Admissions mostly had given him. Any new coach won’t have had the graduation rates as evidence.)

I used the Ivy as an example. With all the conference realignments going on, every school in the Power 5 has to continue to prove it belongs. Either by subtraction or defection, the elite programs are looking to align themselves with one another. NU is already an outlier in the Big and a return to dark ages like performances on the field for an extended period of time could become very problematic. Could easily see a situation in the not too distant future where schools like NU, Vandy, Georgia Tech, BC, UConn, Stanford etc. are forced to look for alternatives to their current conferences and perhaps drawn to each other to form a new conference.
That no one will pay to see. So all those other programs NU has will be gone as well as I don't see NU ponying up for anything

We know that most football players wouldn’t get in if they were not scholarship athletes. To use your offensive term, the NU locker room is already overrun with dimbulbs.

Maybe that’s why they thought putting on creepy masks and rubbing their junk on the weak was a good team building activity!
Sorry but they have shown that they can do the work and the selectivity that NU prides itself on is just an arbitrary barrier to entry so that the elitists can feel good about themselves

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
You’re right. The current players aren’t dimbulbs, nor will they be if standards for scholarship football players are further relaxed.

(Of course, the argument here was always that Fitz had earned his right to exceptions — a right that Admissions mostly had given him. Any new coach won’t have had the graduation rates as evidence.)
He earned them but only really got them on occassion. Hard to see the new guy getting even close to what Fitz got

No offense, but you can get monkeys to graduate at any school as long as they don’t break the law.
Congrats. In a month with some of the dumbest, uninformed takes I’ve seen on these message boards, this is one of the dumbest! To infer that these football players are skating by and not graduating on merit is just ridiculous. Oh Yes, the Professors at NU just love the football players so much they let them skate! Most things I’ve heard is just the contrary. There are prejudices against them and most professors aren’t sympathetic to the grueling schedules these guys have to keep.

What? Are you serious? NU does not hand out diplomas just for participating. If you get a diploma from NU, you’ve earned it.

Pretty surreal this needs to be explained to an NU fan.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

Have you read the mysterious leaked report?

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
Have you read the mysterious leaked report?
Nope. I’ve read the snippets from Warren Long’s lawsuit, as well as reporting from Lou, the Athletic and ESPN.

I presume you have as well.

And if you have, and then you conclude that players didn’t put on creepy masks and rub their junk on the weak, then you’re delusional, and probably a huge fan of the American classic film Loose Change.

Reactions: ManhatCat
I guess the follow-up question would be; What IS special about NU football?

I cannot speak for this current team, but it was nice to be on a team with guys who were bright and took academics seriously. I saw ZERO hazing at Northwestern! ZERO! And there were some goofy guys on that team. Instead, I saw dozens of NU football players joining up to be Big Brothers for kids in the community. That's what I recall about the NU football program, aside from the University's neglect of their students and student-athletes at that time.

And six weeks later, only one person - who left the program a dozen years ago - has said that running didn’t happen.

5G causes COVID, I’ve heard.
Several have said that running was not part of their experience, but they can't speak for the experiences of other individuals. It's sort of like trying to prove a negative.

Of the accusers, Long and (presumably) Richardson with the purported "exaggeration" tape (which of course I have not heard) I view with the most suspicion.

But the third-party investigation did reportedly find that some hazing occurred. Does Richardson's (alleged) leak to the Daily match the details contained in the third-party investigation? If he did indeed exaggerate some things (allegedly by his own admission), what were those things?

I cannot speak for this current team, but it was nice to be on a team with guys who were bright and took academics seriously. I saw ZERO hazing at Northwestern! ZERO! And there were some goofy guys on that team. Instead, I saw dozens of NU football players joining up to be Big Brothers for kids in the community. That's what I recall about the NU football program, aside from the University's neglect of their students and student-athletes at that time.
For the longest time, NU didn't have to take care of their students, the Greek system did that for them. Then NU trashed the Greek system and replaced it with what?

Several have said that running was not part of their experience, but they can't speak for the experiences of other individuals. It's sort of like trying to prove a negative.

Of the accusers, Long and (presumably) Richardson with the purported "exaggeration" tape (which of course I have not heard) I view with the most suspicion.

But the third-party investigation did reportedly find that some hazing occurred. Does Richardson's (alleged) leak to the Daily match the details contained in the third-party investigation? If he did indeed exaggerate some things (allegedly by his own admission), what were those things?
Who besides Demos has said it ‘wasn’t part of their experience’? I am not aware of any others, and I’d appreciate any links.

That’s just not true.

It is true!

If you want solid analyses of factors affecting the stock market and what stocks to pick or good banking advice, toss a banana MRCat95's or HH's way.

If you need some good doctors to look at your back or knee, or dentists for a root canal, I can give you a list of names to contact but you'd better bring a bunch of bananas. An all-B1G guard became famous as the first ER doctor to come down seriously ill with COVID and underwent radical surgical procedures to save his life. Another doctor, Steve Reid, is the only NU football player on SI's list greatest college players.

Lawyers, same thing. Better bring a large bunch of bananas for the lawyers. I know a big one who needs to feed his "tapeworm." Watching him eat was like watching someone toss submarine sandwiches into a woodchipper - yet he never gained a pound.

Some of NU's all-Americans are phreaking physics majors who went on to be college physics profs. You'd better apply proper the velocity when you toss them their bananas.

Oh, and if you'd like a thorough analysis of the life in your lake, marsh or stream, just toss a banana my way.

Last edited:
It is true!

If you want solid analyses of factors affecting the stock market and what stocks to pick or good banking advice, toss a banana MRCat95's or HH's way.

If you need some good doctors to look at your back or knee, or dentists for a root canal, I can give you a list of names to contact but you'd better bring a bunch of bananas. An all-B1G guard became famous as the first ER doctor to come down seriously ill with COVID and underwent radical surgical procedures to save his life. Another doctor, Steve Reid, is the only NU football player on SI's list greatest college players.

Lawyers, same thing. Better bring a large bunch of bananas for the lawyers. I know a big one who needs to feed his "tapeworm." Watching him eat was like watching someone toss submarine sandwiches into a woodchipper - yet he never gained a pound.

Some of NU's all-Americans are phreaking physics majors who went on to be college physics profs. You'd better apply proper the velocity when you toss them their bananas.

Oh, and if you'd like a thorough analysis of the life in your lake, marsh or stream, just toss a banana my way.
I eat a banana everyday for breakfast. I’m not ashamed to admit it.

And six weeks later, only one person - who left the program a dozen years ago - has said that running didn’t happen.

5G causes COVID, I’ve heard.
I was talking specifically about Warren, who has a history of lying. I not saying one way or another if running happened, but I'm not going to believe Warren. It's also obvious that plaintiffs are reaching to find racism by citing the watermelon eating contest. Good frickin grief. By that standard, @CatManTrue must be a racist by eating a banana everyday. How dare he.

I was talking specifically about Warren, who has a history of lying. I not saying one way or another if running happened, but I'm not going to believe Warren. It's also obvious that plaintiffs are reaching to find racism by citing the watermelon eating contest. Good frickin grief. By that standard, @CatManTrue must be a racist by eating a banana everyday. How dare he.
What history of lying? Genuinely curious. I must have missed something.

What history of lying? Genuinely curious. I must have missed something.

There was an incident not all that long ago where a former NFL player (Brendan Langley) got into an altercation with an employee at an airport (might have been Newark); it became a national news story…before the identity of the player was revealed, Warren Long, went on record (tweeted I believe) that it was him. It didn’t take long for the real identity of the individual determine…it clearly wasn't Long. Not sure why fabricated the story, some have speculated that it was a desperate attempt by Lo g to generate some attention for his struggling music career. Bottom line…Warren Long blatantly lied for all to see.

Reactions: StreamCat
Who besides Demos has said it ‘wasn’t part of their experience’? I am not aware of any others, and I’d appreciate any links.
In case you needed the link:

"While I won’t speak for anyone else, I can say that my experience at NU did not reflect what I read in the Daily Northwestern."

Reactions: EvanstonCat
In case you needed the link:

"While I won’t speak for anyone else, I can say that my experience at NU did not reflect what I read in the Daily Northwestern."
Crazy how one person, in theory, can simply lie about something out of bitterness and a grudge and get away with destroying someone’s entire career and reputation. Just like that…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT