ADVERTISEMENT

US Amateur

DocCatsFan

Oct 26, 2006
So the cut has been made and the top 64 out of 350 go on to the match play portion. Mr. Fitzpatrick is in 3rd!! I guess we shouldn't be surprised since he is the #3 ranked amateur golfer on Earth. But how exciting is it that this guy is going to be playing for Pat Goss!! Match play starts tomorrow. I'll keep posting. By the way, Jack Perry missed the cut by 2.

It's over. 4&3. On to tomorrow. Let's hope he has a long day since there are two rounds. Matt is now #2 in the world and the guy who was number 1 didn't make it to match play. I'm thinking Matt takes over at #1!

Doc,

Great stuff - keep it coming! By the way, what site are you using to follow the action?

Go to the USGA site. They have started posting hole-by-hole scoring with the match play format.

www.usga.org

Fitz has started the day by birdying the first two holes and going up 2 strokes. Looks like he's got his game face on!

The rout is on. Fitz up 4 after 5 holes. Two matches today so a slaughter is a big advantage not having to play so many holes. Go 'Cats!!

Next match is against Gavin Hall-- incoming freshman at Texas. Pat Goss is calling this a match between probably the 2 best freshmen in the country. All square after 2-- might need birdies to win holes in this match.

Matt takes it 4 & 3 to move into the quarterfinals where he will play Brady Watt-- an elite amateur whose world ranking is 9 (matt is now 2nd). Great day for Matt. He still hasn't played holes 16-19 in match play and hasn't been a single stroke behind!

Congrats to Matty Fitz. Thanks for posting, Doc. A correction, just checked the USGA site and Fitz is playing Adam Ball, not Brady Watt in the quarters. This is slightly better for Fitz since Watt is the #2 seed as the co-medalist of the stroke play round.

Our golfers are hot. 2 girls won big tournaments this summer, and Fitzy is in the quarters.

This post was edited on 8/15 9:00 PM by DaCat

You are correct, DaCat. And that is really good news too! The two players who make it to the finals of this event get exemptions to every major next year except the PGA. I would love to go to Augusta to see Matt next year!

Great job by Matt so far

Thanks for keeping us updated Doc. Matty Fitz is in the semis after routing Ball 4&3. Interesting all 4 semi finalists of the US Amateur are not Americans.. 2 Aussis, Canadian, Brit.

Re: Great job by Matt so far

Looks like it's gonna be tougher today. Down early 2 after 4 holes but coming back now down 1 after 7. I really wish I could be there to watch this.

Can I watch online anywhere or do I have to wait for the NBC tape delay?

Gotta wait for the delay. Anyone who really cares has to just follow the online scoring. It's really too bad. I think it's one of the great tournaments of the year. Brutally long test of golf. It deserves live coverage somewhere-- at least on the Golf Chanel. By the way, Fitz has clawed all the way back and is up 1 after 10.

Do they play 36 tomorrow and NBC is live with the home stretch from 4-6 eastern?

Yes they play a grueling final 36 tomorrow. I don't know what time they start and how it will jive with NBC. I'm guessing you're probably right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT