ADVERTISEMENT

Very sad news to share…

CoralSpringsCat

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2002
Coral Springs, FL
It’s with a heavy heart that I share that our beloved friend and devoted Wildcat fan Jerry Epstein (aka @FloridAlum) has passed away. I’m in a bit of shock right now but I wanted to get the word out to the Wildcat Report faithful as soon as possible. Jerry bled Purple as we were truly his family over the past few years. Nothing brought a smile to his face as much as talking about Northwestern athletics. Jerry had a heart of gold; he would literally give you the shirt off his back. His Purple Parties were legendary and will be remembered by so many here. Jerry took such joy in connecting Wildcat fans from all across the country. I know he will be looking down upon the Cats next Saturday and into eternity. Godspeed @FloridAlum You will be missed. May he R.I.P. 🙏

It’s with a heavy heart that I share that our beloved friend and devoted Wildcat fan Jerry Epstein (aka @FloridAlum) has passed away. I’m in a bit of shock right now but I wanted to get the word out to the Wildcat Report faithful as soon as possible. Jerry bled Purple as we were truly his family over the past few years. Nothing brought a smile to his face as much as talking about Northwestern athletics. Jerry had a heart of gold; he would literally give you the shirt off his back. His Purple Parties were legendary and will be remembered by so many here. Jerry took such joy in connecting Wildcat fans from all across the country. I know he will be looking down upon the Cats next Saturday and into eternity. Godspeed @FloridAlum You will be missed. May he R.I.P. 🙏
Very sad news, and he was as diehard a Wildcat fan as we could have. This is a huge loss for our online community and he will be missed. RIP @FloridAlum.

Just copying here what I posted on The Rock. NU lost a great fan today.

Just tragic news. I may run WildcatReport, but Jerry was the mayor of the boards. He was the guy that organized the Purple Parties. He was the guy that put together trips to road games. He was the guy that connected board members. He was the guy that wanted WR to be one big family because we were all a bit like an extended family for him.

Jerry "worked" for me as the Moderator on the boards the last several years. I don't think anyone spent more time on the boards than he did. He was quick with a joke and willing to do anything to help a fellow Wildcat fan. I'll miss his calling me for a "five-minute conversation" that inevitably turned into an hour.

We'll miss Jerry. The boards will never be the same without him. He was one of a kind. RIP

What sad news to hear. FloridAlum is definitely a Wildcat legend for all the many things he did for this community. A kind man with an incredible sense of humor and a love for Northwestern. Wow..... he will be missed.

Jerry was a good friend. We went to a surprising number of games together, especially considering he lived in South Florida and I’m local. He was a diehard Cats fan, total character, amazing limerick creator, a terrible driver, and a wonderful friend. He spent thousands of hours moderating these message boards. He made hundreds of tough calls while doing so, and I’m sure he didn’t get some of them right, and that can be frustrating for people. But he moderated them for virtually nothing because he wanted them to be a good place for Cat fans to connect. That’s also why he put together the parties. Both were a labor of love for him.

I’ll miss him.

Last edited:
Prayers are with his family 🙏

Jerry was a good friend. We went to a surprising number of games together, especially considering he lived in South Florida and I’m local. He was a diehard Cats fan, total character, amazing limerick creator, a terrible driver, and a wonderful friend. He spent thousands of hours moderating these message boards. He made hundreds of tough calls while doing so, and I’m sure he didn’t get some of them right, and that can be frustrating for people. But he moderated them for virtually nothing because he wanted them to be a good place for Cat fans to connect. That’s also why he put together the parties. Both were a labor of love for him.

I’ll miss him.
“Virtually nothing”? He’s got literally thousands of beer IOUs.

I think that the NU Rivals board is unique in that so many of us now know each other outside of the messages posted. Friendships and acquaintances have formed; tailgates from our own community have flourished where we call each other by our board monikers. And a large part of this is a result of the efforts and connecting influence of Jerry. I'll miss you, my friend.

Peace be to his Memory

How terrible! Thank you for sharing.

In addition to his purple party service, @FloridAlum served the dregs of the WildcatReport crowd by dutifully monitoring the Rant Board for years.

I can’t imagine there’s a Rant Board where he is now.

Go Cats.
Alas, I think I'll be doomed to an eternal Rant Board where I'm going.

He was truly a great fan, maybe the greatest, and quite a diplomat to manage all the different personalities on these boards.

There are some, but I’m going to leave that to Coral’s decision as he was in closest contact this week. He’s currently flying to Dublin for our game at the moment.

But we will continue to wait for his smart mouth. That's the way it's always been here.

Waterboy here...

I got a phone call from Turk late this afternoon who relayed to me the ultimate in sad news. It's taken me this long to compose myself against my deep grief to organize my thoughts about one of THE most impactful personalities in my 69 years of life as a NU Football supporter across the decades and beyond. I've known FlaAlum (a.k.a. Jerry Epstein) for over 40 years and over the last few years/seasons have lost contact with the lug-nut due to Covid and other stupid things which interrupted our otherwise usual uplifting contact with one another. My dozens of road game experiences with FlaAlum were ALWAYS nothing less than truly epic; and with Turk, Gladescat, FEW, UberCat, HappyNU, VACat among the myriad of so many other notable Gold Medal NU Football supporters & fans among the roadie cartel across the decades, those memories and joys are and will be forever etched into my grey matter and be an integral part of my head & heart as I transition from this mortal coil to whatever afterlife may come. FlaAlum was more than just a friend - he truly was my beloved brother and confidant. I spent many an evening in dozens of cities across this great nation with Jerry attached to my hip and sharing banter on all subjects both serious and trivial and everything in between. With his ever-present cigarette in hand, his wry sense of humor and his absolute unwavering friendship was something rare indeed among those whom I consider close, dear friends and family members. His generosity and dedicated focus to detail was never more in evidence than during his never-to-be-replicated Purple Parties during bowl game travels which would often draw 100-plus of NU's most stanch and rabid fanbase. Wow, I cannot believe that this chapter of my NU Football life has closed!!!

I apologize for emoting so and have got to close this message because tears are welling-up and stinging my eyes once again whereupon I cannot see what the sam hell I'm typing well enough to continue. Suffice it to say that I will sorely miss one my best friends and hope to light his ciggie once more when we meet in the afterlife.

God Bless You All and God Bless FlaAlum. The mold was broken when the Almighty fashioned his unique lump of clay whom I have and will forever call my dear friend...

The Waterboy

Last edited:
Waterboy here...

I got a phone call from Turk late this afternoon who relayed to me the ultimate in sad news. It's taken me this long to compose myself against my deep grief to organize my thoughts about one of THE most impactful personalities in my 69 years of life as a NU Football supporter across the decades and beyond. I've known FllaAlum (a.k.a. Jerry Epstein) for over 40 years and over the last few years/seasons have lost contact with the lug-nut due to Covid and other stupid things which interrupted our otherwise usual uplifting contact with one another. My dozens of road game experiences with FlaAlum were ALWAYS nothing less than truly epic; and with Turk, Gladescat, FEW, UberCat, VACat among a myriad of so many other Gold Medal NU Football supporters & fans among the roadie cartel across the decades, those memories and joys are and will be forever etched into my grey matter and be an integral part of my head & heart as I transition from this mortal coil to whatever afterlife may come. FlaAlum was more than just a friend - he truly was my beloved brother and confidant. I spent many an evening in dozens of cities across this great nation with Jerry attached to my hip and sharing banter on all subjects both serious and trivial and everything in between. With his ever-present cigarette in hand, his wry sense of humor and his absolute unwavering friendship was something rare indeed among those whom I consider close, dear friends and family members. His generosity and dedicated focus to detail was never more in evidence than during his never-to-be-replicated Purple Parties during bowl game travels which would often draw 100-plus of NU's most stanch and rabid fanbase. Wow, I cannot believe that this chapter of my NU Football life has closed!!!

I apologize for emoting so and have got to close this message because tears are welling-up and stinging my eyes once again whereupon I cannot see what the sam hell I'm typing well enough to continue. Suffice it to say that I will sorely miss one my best friends and hope to light his ciggie once more when we meet in the afterlife.

God Bless You All and God Bless FlaAlum. The mold was broken when the Almighty fashioned his unique lump of clay whom I have and will forever call my dear friend...

The Waterboy
Very well said, Waterboy. I knew him personally for only the last 22 years, but I share your every sentiment. I look forward to sharing many toasts to his memory with you and others in just a few more weeks.

I never met him, but his impact was still strongly felt on these boards and in the NU community overall. The testimony of people here certainly speak to that.

May he rest in peace and may his family and friends be able to always keep in their hearts the joy of having him in their lives. A free drink to all!

Also copied my post on the Rock:
This is VERY sad news. What a great guy and a great wit. The frog king. He kept his wit until the end, although I was surprised he didn't do an April Fool's joke this year. One thing we shared was we had both lived in Memphis--he grew up there, and had lived not far from where I had lived, in Central Gardens. He joked that he liked Lansky Bros., the big and tall shop where Elvis bought his clothes.

Waterboy here...

I got a phone call from Turk late this afternoon who relayed to me the ultimate in sad news. It's taken me this long to compose myself against my deep grief to organize my thoughts about one of THE most impactful personalities in my 69 years of life as a NU Football supporter across the decades and beyond. I've known FlaAlum (a.k.a. Jerry Epstein) for over 40 years and over the last few years/seasons have lost contact with the lug-nut due to Covid and other stupid things which interrupted our otherwise usual uplifting contact with one another. My dozens of road game experiences with FlaAlum were ALWAYS nothing less than truly epic; and with Turk, Gladescat, FEW, UberCat, HappyNU, VACat among the myriad of so many other notable Gold Medal NU Football supporters & fans among the roadie cartel across the decades, those memories and joys are and will be forever etched into my grey matter and be an integral part of my head & heart as I transition from this mortal coil to whatever afterlife may come. FlaAlum was more than just a friend - he truly was my beloved brother and confidant. I spent many an evening in dozens of cities across this great nation with Jerry attached to my hip and sharing banter on all subjects both serious and trivial and everything in between. With his ever-present cigarette in hand, his wry sense of humor and his absolute unwavering friendship was something rare indeed among those whom I consider close, dear friends and family members. His generosity and dedicated focus to detail was never more in evidence than during his never-to-be-replicated Purple Parties during bowl game travels which would often draw 100-plus of NU's most stanch and rabid fanbase. Wow, I cannot believe that this chapter of my NU Football life has closed!!!

The Waterboy
Very well said my friend and right on point. Hard to believe FloridAlum won’t be with us in person for the first time in my 27 years of knowing him and me being a STH.

Now Beat Nebraska

Waterboy here...

The Waterboy
he will definitely be missed. Met him the first time at a "Purple Party" before the Kansas game awhile back. I owe you one Jerry, actually a lot more. Condolances to his family.

Very well said, Waterboy. I knew him personally for only the last 22 years, but I share your every sentiment. I look forward to sharing many toasts to his memory with you and others in just a few more weeks.
Glad to have met him. If you or anyone else knows something about sending flowers, purple of course, please let us all know.

Terrible news.

I first met Jerry in person at the 2000 Alamo Bowl (but knew him online for a few years before) and got to meet up with him occasionally for bowl and other games afterwards.

He was a blast--a funny guy, a true diehard 'Cat fan, and a helluva nice person.

RIP, Jerry. All of your drink IOUs are hereby forgiven.

I believe that the first Alamo Bowl was my first in person connection as well with Jerry a/k/a FloridAlum. Can certainly echo what others here have said. Will definitely be missed in so many ways.

FloridAlum was great at organizing the Purple Parties for Wildcat fans and board members to attend which added value to attending bowl games and away games. The dinners I attended were always a fun experience. He had a tough job as one of the board moderators (esp trying to “contain” certain members.) He will be missed. RIP FloridAlum- Thanks for your contributions to the board and being a great fan of the Wildcats over the many years.

Waterboy here...

The Waterboy
Thanks for sharing those sentiments. Although I knew Jerry in recent decades as a fellow Wildcat Fan, I learned that he even had an impact when I was a student at Northwestern. He was proud of his efforts as a student leader for having brought top notch entertainment to campus. Through his efforts I and my fellow classmates got to hear Simon and Garfunkel and Jimmy Hendrix perform at Northwestern.

Thanks for sharing those sentiments. Although I knew Jerry in recent decades as a fellow Wildcat Fan, I learned that he even had an impact when I was a student at Northwestern. He was proud of his efforts as a student leader to bring top notch entertainment to campus. Through his efforts I and my fellow classmates got to hear Simon and Garfunkel and Jimmy Hendrix perform on campus.
Yes, although I preceded him by bringing the Hot Nuts to NU. I'd like to think I was his inspiration, but I doubt it. We were both pretty darn good party planners.

It may have been mentioned previously on this board, but a favorite memory of Jerry for me was at the El Paso party the night before the UCLA game.
Can't remember what wasn't set up right before the party but there was some distraction for him, and Jerry couldn't greet arriving guests (and collect their money) for a spell. He had me setting up extra tables & chairs or some such duty, and assigned greeting & cashier duties to my wife. She knew no board member names nor had prior hospitality experience, but she stepped up and filled in. Jerry had no later complaints so I guess she did ok. She still remembers Floridalum's vote of confidence in her, and shares my grief over his death.

This is very sad news, indeed. I only met Jerry twice, but he was exceptionally kind to me both times. When I was a broke 21-year-old senior during the 2001 season, he was kind enough to buy *me* a drink at the purple party in Vegas; many years later, outside of the BC stadium, we shared a smoke and caught up. And of course we chatted a bunch in the 22 years this board has been around (in some capacity). I always knew him to be kind and ready with a joke, and he will be missed. RIP @FloridAlum. I hope they’ve got the BTN wherever you are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT