ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Who was the best Northwestern kicker over the last 25 years?

Who was the best Northwestern kicker over the last 25 years?

• Sam Valenzisi

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Jeff Budzien

Votes: 53 71.6%
  • Other (reply with your choice)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
But when you're trying to identify the best Wildcat kicker over the last quarter century there are really only two guys to consider: Sam Valenzisi and Jeff Budzien. You can find both of their names on the facing of the upper deck at Ryan Field.

This is gonna be a good one. First, read the WildcatReport story to refresh your memory about these guys' careers: Who was the best Northwestern kicker over the last 25 years?

Then vote for your choice -- or write in your pick below -- for the title of best kicker over the last quarter century.

The poll will close Monday at noon, so vote NOW!

Sam got my vote. If Bud just had a little more leg strength to make that 53 yarder vs Nebby, he would have gotten my vote
Could be faulty memory, but to my recollection that kick wasn't short, but just missed wide left.

As a huge fan of everyone on the 95 team, I was originally going to vote for Valenzisi. But I agree with NU Houston - Budzien was just so good. I had forgotten how automatic he was. I think that's probably the mark of a great kicker, though - it's a foregone conclusion that he was going to make the kick, so you don't really spend much time thinking about him.

Reactions: NU Houston
You could argue that as bad as last season was, poor field goal kicking contributed greatly to three losses. At Stanford, we miss an attempt early in the third quarter so that a fourth quarter TD doesn't tie the score, but leaves us behind by 3. At Nebraska, missed go ahead attempt midway through the fourth quarter leads to a 3-point loss and then a clank off the upright against Purdue late fourth leads to a one point loss. None of these kicks were low percentage.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
As a huge fan of everyone on the 95 team, I was originally going to vote for Valenzisi. But I agree with NU Houston - Budzien was just so good. I had forgotten how automatic he was. I think that's probably the mark of a great kicker, though - it's a foregone conclusion that he was going to make the kick, so you don't really spend much time thinking about him.
I didn't really fully appreciate Budzien until he was gone. The kickers since then have all been very disappointing by comparison. Jack Mitchell was a legend in South Bend, but otherwise he was frustratingly inconsistent during his career.

You could argue that as bad as last season was, poor field goal kicking contributed greatly to three losses. At Stanford, we miss an attempt early in the third quarter so that a fourth quarter TD doesn't tie the score, but leaves us behind by 3. At Nebraska, missed go ahead attempt midway through the fourth quarter leads to a 3-point loss and then a clank off the upright against Purdue late fourth leads to a one point loss. None of these kicks were low percentage.
Last season has been erased from my memory, other than Coco running all over the Illini in the finale. The silver lining with all those missed kicks is that they really didn't mean anything in the end, since the season was such a disaster on so many other levels.

Last season has been erased from my memory, other than Coco running all over the Illini in the finale. The silver lining with all those missed kicks is that they really didn't mean anything in the end, since the season was such a disaster on so many other levels.
They mean something if it costs you a chance to gloat at Purdue and Nebby.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT