ADVERTISEMENT

Warren Long's lawsuit

When the team had tacos for dinner that one time... that alone was horrifying....

but then Fitzgerald said "Si Senor" to the chef! How degrading! Such a racist.

The clincher was when one of the assistant coaches said he was going to do a rain dance on Saturday... obviously meant to insult the Native American tribes the university displaced.
Made me chuckle PWB!

And how about those poor OL having to field punts? Some of the other players were laughing when they went to catch the ball. Talk about PTSD. The inhumanity!

Fitzgerald probably heard some of the linemen complaining about our punt returners and said "you think its so easy, you guys try it." Good coaches do things like that to keep the team together.

Ever time I think we’ve reached the lowest levels of absurdity something else comes up. This watermelon thing is new low. What’s next? The crazy bat race was cruel and unusual punishment?
If this doesn’t tell you all you to need to know about throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks, nothing ever will. Where were all of the posters and players claiming the contest was racist when it was literally shown on TV or streamed every single year. Absurd

If this doesn’t tell you all you to need to know about throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks, nothing ever will. Where were all of the posters and players claiming the contest was racist when it was literally shown on TV or streamed every single year. Absurd
PPD: I don’t believe the watermelon eating contest was racist or hazing.

That does not change my opinion on the appropriateness of “running” or “car washing” or the sincerity of those who alleged what I believe to be unacceptable actions.

That does not change my opinion on the appropriateness of “running” or “car washing” or the sincerity of those who alleged what I believe to be unacceptable actions.

“Sincerity”. LOL.

I agree and therein lies the problem. People who join the feeding frenzy by citing things like the watermelon eating contest as a smoking gun undermine the credibility of people who are complaining or filing suits based on real problems. BTW I can imagine how a white player might say something to a person of color related to the watermelon eating contest, things that could very easily be painful and wrong even without the intention to do harm. I would not surprised at all if that happened in conversations related to the contest, though that does not seem to be the claim. (not sure - correct me if I'm wrong) .

Just because watermelon can be associated with racial stereotypes does not make referring to it - or having an activity around it - wrong. Before long, will it therefore be wrong to sell or even say the word "watermelon"?
That's exactly the kind of reaction that gives energy to the alt-right who are looking for any reason they can to justify real racism and energise their dog whistles.

Not an easy line to walk, mind you. I personally have a lot of time for people who point out how 'little' things that aren't intended as racist can easily feel hurtful to people of color. I've personally learned from people who speak up - and they have influenced my views. But I suppose there is a line somewhere...

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT