ADVERTISEMENT

Washington Rivals Board

HailToPurple

Jul 11, 2023
I just took a look at the Washington board here on Rivals and it was shocking to see the big difference.

There are three sections: The Main Board, College Football Soundoff, and Football Transfer Portal.

The first, Main Board, requires membership so I couldn't read the posts, but the titles were all over place. Lots of political subjects that have been banned here, and virtually nothing about the football program.

Then on the second board, College Football Soundoff, that you can read, it is almost the same thing. A little more about football, but still plenty of political stuff.

And the third board, Football Transfer Portal, is filled with stories about transfers all over the county. Not really that much about Washington. Mostly about everywhere else.

It was amazing to see how little discussion there is about their own football program. And if you think Rivals has really banned political posts just look at the Washington forum.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I just took a look at the Washington board here on Rivals and it was shocking to see the big difference.

There are three sections: The Main Board, College Football Soundoff, and Football Transfer Portal.

The first, Main Board, requires membership so I couldn't read the posts, but the titles were all over place. Lots of political subjects that have been banned here, and virtually nothing about the football program.

Then on the second board, College Football Soundoff, that you can read, it is almost the same thing. A little more about football, but still plenty of political stuff.

And the third board, Football Transfer Portal, is filled with stories about transfers all over the county. Not really that much about Washington. Mostly about everywhere else.

It was amazing to see how little discussion there is about their own football program. And if you think Rivals has really banned political posts just look at the Washington forum.
Rivals did not but our moderators did. They felt it took too much time to do the policing (even though it was the rant board) and since we are a program that does not bring in a lot of money, did not have a lotta resources to handle it all. But since they did stop it and eliminated the rant board, I gotta imagine that revenues are down further

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: IGNORE2
I thought that the ban on political posts was a Rivals-wide thing, but apparently not. Just here. And from what I can tell on the Washington board it can get pretty brutal.

But what really surprised me was how little discussion there was of the football program itself. There was some but seemed like a lot more about non-football subjects.

Looking again at the one called the Football Transfer Portal there is very little activity on it. Only a few post over many months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Rivals did not but our moderators did. They felt it took too much time to do the policing (even though it was the rant board) and since we are a program that does not bring in a lot of money, did not have a lotta resources to handle it all. But since they did stop it and eliminated te rant board, I gotta imagine that revenues are down further
Revenues down? What revenue? Are you talking about the two posters that cancelled their subscriptions? The bulk of the activity was from non-payers or people that jumped on the $1 promotion.

Reactions: DaCat
Rivals did not but our moderators did. They felt it took too much time to do the policing (even though it was the rant board) and since we are a program that does not bring in a lot of money, did not have a lotta resources to handle it all. But since they did stop it and eliminated te rant board, I gotta imagine that revenues are down further
I highly, highly doubt that the closing of the Rant board had any impact on revenue here.

The Washington Rivals site is indeed very weird. However I see a forum called "The 12th Man" and "The Main Board", and the overall site is called "The Dawg Report". Didn't see anything on the transfer portal. I was able to open posts in both but perhaps that is because I have a membership at NU. Normally that's not the case. To your point, however, very little football. Considering that Washington played for the national championship and is always relevant, that is surprising. Perhaps there is a service other than Rivals that is favored.

The Washington Rivals Board is essentially dormant. The majority of the conversation is on 24/7. They have the following boards there:

HARDCORE FOOTBALL (subscriber only)
HARDCORE HUSKY HOOPS (subscriber only)
HARDCORE HUSKY RECRUITING (subscriber only)
HARDCORE CLASSICS (subscriber only)
Husky Football
Husky Basketball
Husky Olympic Sports

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
Revenues down? What revenue? Are you talking about the two posters that cancelled their subscriptions? The bulk of the activity was from non-payers or people that jumped on the $1 promotion.
Actually, I suspect web traffic is way way down. Number of posts and threads too. And the amount that you charge to advertise on a page directly relates to traffic. So mock the cancellations (I bet more than two) but he is right, the money brought in by yahoo for this website is far lower than it was when the rant lived.

I highly, highly doubt that the closing of the Rant board had any impact on revenue here.
I used to check throughout the day and post a lot. Now I visit once and post occasionally. I’m not alone. Check the traffic numbers. Way way down

What’s amazing is that people are apparently unaware that there exists other fan sites outside of rivals

What’s amazing is that people are apparently unaware that there exists other fan sites outside of rivals

Aware but the conversation was about the Rivals site.

Perhaps traffic is down because it is an election year and people are determined to be respectful and measured in their communications and avoid unproductive confrontations. Must be that.

• Haha
Maybe so, but I can't find any that cover us as well as this one.
Just because rivals is the best site for NU, doesn't mean it is also the best site for all other schools. Some fanbases prefer 24/7 or sbnation etc and so their rivals page becomes effectively abandoned. Hope that helps.

Actually, I suspect web traffic is way way down. Number of posts and threads too. And the amount that you charge to advertise on a page directly relates to traffic. So mock the cancellations (I bet more than two) but he is right, the money brought in by yahoo for this website is far lower than it was when the rant lived.
You were one of the two cancellations I referred to.

Those three boards are meant to be rivals.com wide boards shared by one and all. Those are not Washington Husky Boards Check out the names of the posters, it's all "Go Carolina Blue" and "Rutgers Pride Man" and "Gator Maniac" and "Aggie Arnold" and so on. I just made all those names up but you get the point. I do not believe any of them require a subscription to participate or read them but that is just my guess. Try again.

Actually, for Politics the Main Board is pretty good, a balance of lefties and righties and they don't seem to get too bent out of shape at each other (which is pretty damn rare1).

Back on topic - The only Husky board there seems to be "The 12th Man" which is completely dead.

The board you want is "Hardcore Husky". --- https://hardcorehusky.com/categories/hardcore-husky-board

Here is a good fan forum guide - https://www.footballforumsguide.com/#gsc.tab=0

Just keep scrolling down until you hit the team you want.

Go Cats!

Last edited:
I looked at the Hardcore Husky board. Unbelievable amount of unchecked profanity and ranting and raving posts. Glad we have much more class and dignity here.

• Haha
Aware but the conversation was about the Rivals site.

Perhaps traffic is down because it is an election year and people are determined to be respectful and measured in their communications and avoid unproductive confrontations. Must be that.
I like how you took a shot at that

You were one of the two cancellations I referred to.
I know. And CMT. Low hanging fruit. I suspect membership number are pretty stagnant. And insignificant.

But I better the site revenue has dropped considerably from the high point. And I bet that the rant had the highest traffic and therefore ad revenue.

I can only wonder what kind of budget allowances may have become available to Lou and Cappy if only there was sufficient ad revenue… maybe even a premium basketball board…

I know. And CMT. Low hanging fruit. I suspect membership number are pretty stagnant. And insignificant.

But I better the site revenue has dropped considerably from the high point. And I bet that the rant had the highest traffic and therefore ad revenue.

I can only wonder what kind of budget allowances may have become available to Lou and Cappy if only there was sufficient ad revenue… maybe even a premium basketball board…
The problem with a premium basketball board, I suspect, is the dissonance it may create for the moderators and subscribers alike. The de facto football board being The Rock, then the hoops board would be… Pound the Rock.

The problem with a premium basketball board, I suspect, is the dissonance it may create for the moderators and subscribers alike. The de facto football board being The Rock, then the hoops board would be… Pound the Rock.

Seems perfect to me. The best sites drive their subscribers to their premium boards. We’re not recreating the wheel here folks. This setup is commonplace across multiple companies - Rivals, 24/7 and On3.

Seems perfect to me. The best sites drive their subscribers to their premium boards. We’re not recreating the wheel here folks. This setup is commonplace across multiple companies - Rivals, 24/7 and On3.
Rock the Rant and watch the subscriber numbers and, more importantly, traffic rocket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT