ADVERTISEMENT

We have a Pitching Coach

Should have a positive effect on the recruiting front as Cook had a long MLB career so when he goes into a recruits house he should have the attention of the kid and his parents. Good luck to him as he will have his work cut out for him in what has unfortunately become a mess with our baseball team.

Reactions: mountaindrew
He had a good MLB career, but he sure made the rounds: changing teams every year or two. I guess that was to only way to make a decent salary. He has considerable coaching experience including college and the Swedish National team several years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
He had a good MLB career, but he sure made the rounds: changing teams every year or two. I guess that was to only way to make a decent salary. He has considerable coaching experience including college the Swedish National team several years ago.

He was a solid arm out of the Marlin bullpen in their 1997 WS year.

This really sucks. Instead of dealing with the clear issue they’re just replacing with more soldiers. Really disappointed in our athletic department.
More hints about the clear issue please.

There are two rules in life:

1. Never give out all the information.
Well, reading between the lines, you don't think that replacing the "soldiers" will get the job done, so you must be of the opinion that the "general" is the "clear issue" here.

But the general has an impressive record from his previous job, and this is his first season here, so how can you be sure that the "clear issue" was not actually the soldiers?

As a non-insider with an outsider's perspective, perhaps I'm not qualified to opine, but it seems difficult to justify the way the assistants just quit on the team right at the beginning of the season. That seems awfully unprofessional.

Reactions: No Chores
Well, reading between the lines, you don't think that replacing the "soldiers" will get the job done, so you must be of the opinion that the "general" is the "clear issue" here.

But the general has an impressive record from his previous job, and this is his first season here, so how can you be sure that the "clear issue" was not actually the soldiers?

As a non-insider with an outsider's perspective, perhaps I'm not qualified to opine, but it seems difficult to justify the way the assistants just quit on the team right at the beginning of the season. That seems awfully unprofessional.

Don’t those actions show just how terrible things must have been? For three coaches to resign at that stage of the season is unheard of in college baseball. If it were one, I might blame the soldier, but three? That’s a pretty big indictment to how toxic the environment must be/have been at Rocky Miller Park. I’m sure it was extremely difficult for those coaches to walk out on their players. Something really stinks in that clubhouse.

Reactions: DaCat and lunker35
Don’t those actions show just how terrible things must have been? For three coaches to resign at that stage of the season is unheard of in college baseball. If it were one, I might blame the soldier, but three? That’s a pretty big indictment to how toxic the environment must be/have been at Rocky Miller Park. I’m sure it was extremely difficult for those coaches to walk out on their players. Something really stinks in that clubhouse.
So much for that enlightening article from inside nu 🤔

This

If they have something to say, they should say it. Otherwise, what good are soldiers who won't follow orders?

Perhaps they decided to take the high road in deference to the players they left behind.
Seeing your commitments through to the end of the season is taking the high road. Taking a stand and making a public statement is taking the high road. This quitting on the team and trying to say something without saying it I'm not sure is taking the high road.

Seeing your commitments through to the end of the season is taking the high road. Taking a stand and making a public statement is taking the high road. This quitting on the team and trying to say something without saying it I'm not sure is taking the high road.
Without knowing a single thing about the incident, there are times when a person's conscience demands that they take a stand and, in this case, resign from their position. They may not be in the position to make a public statement at this point in time or may feel that it would cause more of a distraction to the team now by doing so. If I had to guess, the players are well aware of why they left and what the current situation is.

Without knowing a single thing about the incident, there are times when a person's conscience demands that they take a stand and, in this case, resign from their position. They may not be in the position to make a public statement at this point in time or may feel that it would cause more of a distraction to the team now by doing so. If I had to guess, the players are well aware of why they left and what the current situation is.
I can only call it as I see it as an outsider limited to "free board" knowledge. If it's an issue of player safety, I would think they would be obligated to make a statement for the safety of the players if they felt it necessary to quit. If it's something they feel they can't speak about for legal reasons, does that mean there is some sort of legal investigation? If so, they could at least make a statement to that effect. What I see is that they quit at the beginning of the season in an effort to sabotage the new guy. There could be any number of reasons they did that, but they haven't given us an actionable reason. I'm not going to turn on the new guy due to mere innuendo.

I can only call it as I see it as an outsider limited to "free board" knowledge. If it's an issue of player safety, I would think they would be obligated to make a statement for the safety of the players if they felt it necessary to quit. If it's something they feel they can't speak about for legal reasons, does that mean there is some sort of legal investigation? If so, they could at least make a statement to that effect. What I see is that they quit at the beginning of the season in an effort to sabotage the new guy. There could be any number of reasons they did that, but they haven't given us an actionable reason. I'm not going to turn on the new guy due to mere innuendo.

Lot more than innuendo on the Rock.

Good for you.
Sorry, I misread. I didn't see the "than" previously.

If the guy isn't endangering his players or doing something in moral breach of his contract, then trying to fire him via whisper networks feels dirty. Let the guy hire "soldiers" who will stay and see what they can do.

For what it’s worth, it’s been announced that Cook will be managing in the summer collegiate Appalachian League this summer. Schedule starts in early June.

(Update: this happened in January, so I guess it’s not news. However, a more recent article confirms that nothing has changed.)

If I had to guess, the players are well aware of why they left and what the current situation is.
FWIW, a close family member of an NU player told me last Saturday that "the team" didn't know reasons for coaches' departures -- but that lack of disclosure caused frustration. I can't vouch for accuracy/truthfulness of the source, but the tone of remarks didn't suggest strong bias against the head coach. If anything, just regret.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT