ADVERTISEMENT

Weight room wednesday with Cats

It would appear the combination of opportunity and competition has brought out the best in Mr. Fox.

May the best man win between him and Fisher. Should be a very interesting competition through the summer and into fall camp. Solid play from the Mike position would go a long way to shoring up what doubts might persist about the defense (consistent DE play being the other main concern in my eyes, especially if XWash isn't playing and younger guys have to step up).

Reactions: NU Houston
It would appear the combination of opportunity and competition has brought out the best in Mr. Fox.

May the best man win between him and Fisher. Should be a very interesting competition through the summer and into fall camp. Solid play from the Mike position would go a long way to shoring up what doubts might persist about the defense (consistent DE play being the other main concern in my eyes, especially if XWash isn't playing and younger guys have to step up).
Agreed, and competition at the position should help. I personally think X is gone - this year and forever, but have no inside knowledge. The big question for me is then the health of Carnifax. He would seem to be the next man up. Goens is also on the hot seat earlier than any of us anticipated. I heard good things about Gooden in spring ball. He is most likely a situational guy, at best, right now, but if he's gained a lot of weight.....?

Agreed, and competition at the position should help. I personally think X is gone - this year and forever, but have no inside knowledge. The big question for me is then the health of Carnifax. He would seem to be the next man up. Goens is also on the hot seat earlier than any of us anticipated. I heard good things about Gooden in spring ball. He is most likely a situational guy, at best, right now, but if he's gained a lot of weight.....?

There's no shortage of bodies available at DE opposite Gaziano (Goens, Carnifax, Gooden, Brown, Kent, the brothers Miller)... question is more whether they're ready.

PS -- Goens will be a RS SO next season, so it's not exactly like he would be pressed into service early in his career.

There's no shortage of bodies available at DE opposite Gaziano (Goens, Carnifax, Gooden, Brown, Kent, the brothers Miller)... question is more whether they're ready.

PS -- Goens will be a RS SO next season, so it's not exactly like he would be pressed into service early in his career.
I really hate to see linemen burn their shirts - such a waste in nearly all cases. A RB, WR, or DB can sometimes play as a frosh at a level near that he will be at in four years. Generally not so with linemen, QBs, or LBs. I'd love to see Brown, Kent, and Miller as 5th-year players. If we redshirt these guys, we are only 4 deep and will likely have to play some DTs outside or play more 3-4.

I really hate to see linemen burn their shirts - such a waste in nearly all cases. A RB, WR, or DB can sometimes play as a frosh at a level near that he will be at in four years. Generally not so with linemen, QBs, or LBs. I'd love to see Brown, Kent, and Miller as 5th-year players. If we redshirt these guys, we are only 4 deep and will likely have to play some DTs outside or play more 3-4.

I'd love to RS all freshmen but it's likely one of those DL will play. My money is on Sam Miller. Given our LB situation it's unlikely you'll see more 3-4 alignments. Assuming Washington is not playing, we have 9 returning lineman that I like and should be ready to play. My guess is that you'll see Alex Miller playing a little more at DE this year to boost the depth there but in the end I think Sam Miller and/or Brown will be needed to add depth and will be too good to keep on the bench next year.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I'd love to RS all freshmen but it's likely one of those DL will play. My money is on Sam Miller. Given our LB situation it's unlikely you'll see more 3-4 alignments. Assuming Washington is not playing, we have 9 returning lineman that I like and should be ready to play. My guess is that you'll see Alex Miller playing a little more at DE this year to boost the depth there but in the end I think Sam Miller and/or Brown will be needed to add depth and will be too good to keep on the bench next year.

It's also not really that easy to just "flip" to a 3-4 from a base 4-3... see the Army debacle.

At least one pub reported that Gooden has gotten considerably bigger and had a noteworthy spring practice.

I am hoping that Brown does not burn his shirt because I think a year to get bigger and stronger will do wonders for him. Kent looks physically more ready to play, as does Sam Miller.

Funny how Alex Miller was the lowest rated recruit of the 2016 class and started as a true frosh. I think Sam likely follows his lead.

At least one pub reported that Gooden has gotten considerably bigger and had a noteworthy spring practice.

I am hoping that Brown does not burn his shirt because I think a year to get bigger and stronger will do wonders for him. Kent looks physically more ready to play, as does Sam Miller.

Funny how Alex Miller was the lowest rated recruit of the 2016 class and started as a true frosh. I think Sam likely follows his lead.

Kent may be more ready physically but he is also likely the recruit that is making the biggest leap in terms of level of competition. Kansas football is just not up to the level of Texas football. Because of this, I doubt he plays next year.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT