ADVERTISEMENT

What percentage of UDFA make an NFL 53 man roster?

DarthCat

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
I tried to find to find this, but gave up quickly. Keep finding things that say there are more UDFA in the NFL than first round picks, which isn’t earth shattering when you think there are 32 first round picks each season and what, 150-200 USFAs? Guessing 5-6 per team. Maybe that’s low.

I always believed the UDFAs were mainly brought in as scrimmage fodder, and maybe if they caught someone’s eye, they’d stick somewhere. But I’m just curious. Board regulars seem to tout NU UDFAs as being a ‘great addition’ to their teams and talk about them as if they will make the roster. How often does this happen? Again, I’m talking the 53 man roster, not the ‘practice squad’ that is most definitely scrimmage fodder for the team.

Never mind. Found this.

In 2016, 117 of 590 undrafted free agents (19.8 percent) made a Week 1 roster or injured reserve, and another 125 (21.2 percent) made a practice squad, according to the NFL Players Association.

So, as an UGFA in 2016, you had a 40% chance of still be associated with the team come week 1. A 20% chance of being on the 53 man squad, or IR.

I tried to find to find this, but gave up quickly. Keep finding things that say there are more UDFA in the NFL than first round picks, which isn’t earth shattering when you think there are 32 first round picks each season and what, 150-200 USFAs? Guessing 5-6 per team. Maybe that’s low.

I always believed the UDFAs were mainly brought in as scrimmage fodder, and maybe if they caught someone’s eye, they’d stick somewhere. But I’m just curious. Board regulars seem to tout NU UDFAs as being a ‘great addition’ to their teams and talk about them as if they will make the roster. How often does this happen? Again, I’m talking the 53 man roster, not the ‘practice squad’ that is most definitely scrimmage fodder for the team.

What would be interesting is to see how it compares with the NU UDFA success rates. If NU's rate is markedly higher, then it would lend credence to the conspiracy theory that our players are undervalued somehow.

No, I don't have the time to do it, and no, I'm not asking anyone else to dig into it unless they want to. Just making an observation. Though if someone wanted to do it, I would be curious to see the answer and would be deeply appreciative.

Never mind. Found this.

In 2016, 117 of 590 undrafted free agents (19.8 percent) made a Week 1 roster or injured reserve, and another 125 (21.2 percent) made a practice squad, according to the NFL Players Association.

So, as an UGFA in 2016, you had a 40% chance of still be associated with the team come week 1. A 20% chance of being on the 53 man squad, or IR.
Thanks. Do you have the numbers for the higher round draft choices?( 6 and 7) as well? Would be an interesting comparison. Also the %s that stick till second year. A big advantage that UFA have is they get to pick (within reason) the place they go to and can chose one that has better opportunities for their position

A big advantage that UFA have is they get to pick (within reason) the place they go to and can chose one that has better opportunities for their position
Help me with your logic. Why would a team use a draft pick on someone they didn't need? I doubt an UFA has much of an advantage versus being drafted.

Thanks. Do you have the numbers for the higher round draft choices?( 6 and 7) as well? Would be an interesting comparison. Also the %s that stick till second year. A big advantage that UFA have is they get to pick (within reason) the place they go to and can chose one that has better opportunities for their position

No. I had trouble even finding the overall stat I did regarding UDFAs. My thought was that it was striking me as funny, many of our posters talking about our UDFAs as being strong additions to their teams, when my thought was that they were basically higher paid tackling dummies. I'm more curious frankly to know what that of the 19.8% who made the week 1 roster or IR, what is the percentage breakdown between those two? Am I correct in believing that if you get hurt, you cannot just be cut loose but have to be put on IR?

If that is the case, being on IR is not really 'making' the team, and it's likely considerably less than 19.8% of UDFAs who really make the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT