ADVERTISEMENT

What will it take for NU to go dancing again?

I think all it takes at this point is that there isn't another COVID outbreak or something that causes a team (or the NCAA as a whole) to cancel.

The real question is how well NU can do with a depleted roster. NU can win a 7/10 or 8/9 matchup (depending on the matchup of course) just based on the sheer awesomeness of Boo and the fact that the other team won't be as familiar with ours, but once they go up against Houston or Arizona or Tennessee or whatever in the second round, that's going to be dicey.

Find it hard to believe we could lose our last 4 games and a committee knowing we haven't won since we lost our second starter to a season ending injury and expect they will put us in the dance. We MUST win one more game somewhere along the way.

Find it hard to believe we could lose our last 4 games and a committee knowing we haven't won since we lost our second starter to a season ending injury and expect they will put us in the dance. We MUST win one more game somewhere along the way.
I feel the same way.
There are plenty of teams just waiting to take our spot.
Iowa is one of them.
MSU is not any good, but if they finish 11-9 and we finish 11-9, we're not getting in ahead of Izzo.
If Minnesota beats us in our gym and sweeps us in the season series? That's a strong argument to take them ahead of us, despite their NET rating.

I can't see 8 Big Ten teams making the field.
Sitting in a 5-way tie for 4th in the Big Ten with an 11-9 conference record sounds like a bad situation.
We need a win - or we'll be crossing our fingers and rooting for Indiana and Illinois.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I feel the same way.
Iowa is one of them.
MSU is not any good, but if they finish 11-9 and we finish 11-9, we're not getting in ahead of Izzo.
If Minnesota beats us in our gym and sweeps us in the season series? That's a strong argument to take them ahead of us, despite their NET rating.

Sitting in a 5-way tie for 4th in the Big Ten with an 11-9 conference record sounds like a bad situation.
We need a win - or we'll be crossing our fingers and rooting for Indiana and Illinois.
Lol, Minnesota? You people have gotten beyond neurotic on this.

I am still confident enough that I'd still rather be (blind test) NU than Nebby.

Don't be so sure about that. Nebraska is 43 in NET, NU is 52. They split head-to-head. They both have a win over Purdue. NU has an edge in Quad 1 record, 5-5 to 3-7, but the Huskers have the advantage in the other metrics.

I feel the same way.
Iowa is one of them.

MSU has lost three straight and is 17-12. Yet they are still somehow 22nd in NET. Go figure.

Iowa has won four straight and is just five behind NU in NET, so they would have a shot to leapfrog NU. Minnesota? I can't see that happening. They are 76th in NET and just 1-7 in Quad 1.

MSU has lost three straight and is 17-12. Yet they are still somehow 22nd in NET. Go figure.

Iowa has won four straight and is just five behind NU in NET, so they would have a shot to leapfrog NU. Minnesota? I can't see that happening. They are 76th in NET and just 1-7 in Quad 1.
I did notice that Quad 1 record for the Gophers. They have some bad non-conference losses on their resume.
But they are significantly improved from January and have outplayed their metrics in 9 of the last 10.
So they are trending the right way. They'd probably have to beat us pretty badly and make a run in the Big Ten tournament to jump over us in the NET. The NET punishes teams severely for bad games in 2023. And it rewards teams like Michigan State for big wins in 2023.

I was looking over NET Rankings. Here's a stunner: Auburn, ranked No. 6, is 1-7 in Quad 1 games. That's unbelievable. They are 23-7 overall, so they don't have a bad loss. But don't pick them to go far in your pool this year.

Don't be so sure about that. Nebraska is 43 in NET, NU is 52. They split head-to-head. They both have a win over Purdue. NU has an edge in Quad 1 record, 5-5 to 3-7, but the Huskers have the advantage in the other metrics.
I understand that. But my position is solely based on my optimism of where we are today and where we will end up relative to Nebraska. We finish ahead of them if we win out or if we win one and they do not win at Michigan.

Most will see it as overly optimistic, I understand that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT