ADVERTISEMENT

What will Reggie Lynch's suspension mean to Minnesota tonight?

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
If you thought Northwestern was in a tough spot, take a look at the Minnesota team that comes into town for tonight's game with Northwestern.

Big man Reggie Lynch has been suspended after three sexual assault allegations in another ugly episode for the Gopher athletic department. Star wing Amir Coffey is also out with an injury.

I did a Q&A with EJ Stevens of TheGopherReport.com to get the inside scoop on the suspension and what it means to the Gophers. Here are his answers to the questions I asked. I'm going to use some of this for a story I'm working on, but I'm posting it all here for my WR peeps.

Q. The Reggie Lynch suspension has obviously rocked the Minnesota program. Do you expect any more fallout? Coming on the heels of the ugly sexual assault scandal the football team had last season, what is the current climate at the Minnesota athletic department?

STEVENS: Yes, actually today a third allegation came out about Lynch and it was recommended by the EOAA that he should be expelled from school. He has now been accused of three separate sexual assaults in a four-week period from April 2016 to early May 2016. From a basketball standpoint, it completely changes what Minnesota wants to do on the defensive end and their rim protection is gone. Indiana got whatever they wanted at the rim on Saturday.

Fans are obviously very upset. There have been an alarming amount of sexual harassment and assault scandals dating back to 2014. From the Norwood Teague sexual harassment scandal that led to his firing as the athletic director to the Kevin Dorsey sex tape that rocked the basketball program in 2016, this athletic department is no stranger to scandals. The football incident and bowl boycott last year and now these incidents with Reggie are just two more black eyes that the department has had to experience. It is just a sickening feeling.

Q. How much of a distraction has this been for the team? What is their collective psyche coming into this game?

STEVENS: It's hard to say, there has only been one game since the news about Lynch came out. The team is in a tough spot right now without Lynch, and to add on to that star wing Amir Coffey is out with a shoulder injury with no timetable for his return. Nate Mason hurt his ankle two weeks ago and seems mostly healthy and Dupree McBrayer has a bad leg that requires him to be in a walking boot after every game to keep weight off of it. Jordan Murphy has been great at the starting power forward spot, and he's been the only starter not to miss any time this season. With all the injuries and question marks, you have to wonder how confident the team will be going on the road right now.

The team needs something from the bench. In the game against Indiana on Saturday, the team got five points from Isaiah Washington, two points from Bakary Konate and six points from Davonte Fitzgerald, but other than that the rest of the scoring came from Murphy, Mason and McBrayer. If this team wants to have any hope of making a run, there is going to need to be contributions from guys other than these three.

Q. On the court, how much will Minnesota miss Lynch? What did he give them on the offensive and defensive end? Who will have to step up to take his place, and how much do you expect the Gophers’ performance to fall off?

STEVENS: His loss cannot be understated. He changes everything at the rim for opponents. With him in the lineup, Minnesota likely doesn't lose the rebounding battle to Indiana Saturday and they probably win by 10-15 points. His 4.1 blocked shots per game is huge. His backup is Bakary Konate, and he is nowhere near the player that Lynch is. Konate had two points and four boards in 27 minutes on Saturday. Lynch played about that many minutes on average and scored almost 11 points per game while bringing down eight rebounds per game.

I expect Minnesota will try to play a little small ball with Davonte Fitzgerald getting some time in the frontcourt with Jordan Murphy, but Konate will certainly have to play a good amount with Dererk Pardon anchoring the middle for the Wildcats. Northwestern hasn't been shooting well lately so I would expect them to attack the rim frequently without Lynch in there.

Q. What will be the keys for Minnesota against Northwestern? What is your prediction and why?

STEVENS: 1. Rebound. Minnesota had every chance to win against Indiana despite missing two of their top three players, but offensive rebounds ended up being their downfall as Indiana grabbed 17 to Minnesota's 8. The Hoosiers were not a good rebounding team coming in and they beat Minnesota on the glass 45-35. The Gophers have to be close in the rebounding battle if they want to have a chance to win.

2. Bench contributions. The Gophers need some scoring out of Isaiah Washington, Jamir Harris and Davonte Fitzgerald coming off the bench. Murphy, Mason and McBrayer aren't going to put up points like they did on Saturday every game. If one or more of them struggle it will be a long game for Minnesota, especially if there isn't any scoring from the bench.

3. Three-point shooting. Minnesota has not been a good shooting team from behind the arc, hitting just 35.5% from three. They are going to need to hit 40% or higher to beat the Wildcats on the road.

My prediction is Northwestern wins 69-60. Minnesota has too many question marks, a decimated roster and not enough depth inside to keep Northwestern off the boards and out of the paint. Vic Law and Dererk Pardon should be able to do damage on the glass and get some easy ones inside.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News