ADVERTISEMENT

What's the win total that will win Braun the job outright?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
Yes, I realize the deck is stacked against Braun with the current circumstances, and NU will presumably be conducting a search for a new head coach even as Braun takes the helm this season. But if (big if) Braun can pull off a miracle and win X number of games, what number X will win him the job outright?

Last edited:
A) I think they will hard pressed to win even 3 games. They might go winless. B) if he miraculously wins 4, he stays. But if it turns out like the last time an interim NU coach unexpectedly won 4 games, there would he hell to Peay

Don’t see it. I think ultimately we see a new athletic director and entirely new coaching staff. The university needs to turn the page.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Yes, I realize the deck is stacked against Braun with the current circumstances, and NU will presumably be conducting a search for a new head coach even as Braun takes the helm this season. But if (big if) Braun can pull off a miracle and win X number of games, what number X will win him the job outright?
I think it matters how the season plays out and how the team looks more than a specific number of wins... but if he wins more than 1 B1G game I would consider that very impressive and an indication that he deserves consideration for the full-time role. Unless he does something absolutely miraculous like getting us to >.500 record, we should run a full and proper hiring process and compare him against the other options available to us.

Honestly though, it's hard for me to muster up much of an effort to care about the upcoming season though. I usually go to 3-6 games (live in NYC) and at this point have removed the plans to go to @Rutgers and not really planning to attend any others - at least not as long as Schill and Gragg are still employed. I will still try to watch the games and wish Braun the best, but ugh.

Reactions: zeek55 and kaTNap
The whole staff will be fired after the season, assuming we even have a season.
If Braun does that well (5-6 wins) he will probably have a number of offers that he will find preferable to the looong rebuild and long shadow this will cast for years at NU.

If Braun does that well (5-6 wins) he will probably have a number of offers that he will find preferable to the looong rebuild and long shadow this will cast for years at NU.
Yes, but he also knows that if he gets to 6-7 wins consistently then our fanbase & AD will be very happy.

Our fanbase is underestimating the value of our head coaching position. We’re at a low point right now, but the right head coach will see this as an all-upside, minimal-downside type of job where if they lose, no one will care.

But if they win… they’ll have their pick of too jobs. Or they can keep making $5-6M in a luxury suburb of Chicago.

I think a lot depends not just on the record but on whether they can recruit as well, They are going to have to replace a ton of guys Record is part but without the ability to restock what difference.

Reactions: rmndcat
Braun is an readily available band aid rather than a required tourniquet

Wins will likely not be a factor regarding an extension as team’s roster, recruiting and overall program are under repeated fire

Let’s see - top recruits gone, top new players leaving, team already was a possible winless squad.

The whole thing needs a clear, loud, resounding reset emphasized with an uncharacteristic, over the top hire.

If not, that new stadium should market tickets to opposing team bases and pray for big, profitable concerts in between terrible, lowly attended marshmellow wars.

The only savior I see is for Urban Meyer or equivalent to shake down NU for an enormous contract and for the new President to instruct the Admissions Committee to give the new coach unprecedented freedom in admissions. Restore credibility ASAP and then gradually fade back to NU standards, if the euphoria of winning can be calmed

Let’s see - top recruits gone, top new players leaving, team already was a possible winless squad.

The whole thing needs a clear, loud, resounding reset emphasized with an uncharacteristic, over the top hire.

If not, that new stadium should market tickets to opposing team bases and pray for big, profitable concerts in between terrible, lowly attended marshmellow wars.
If you are going to lose to Alphabet U, why not schedule the National powers like Alabama, Georgia et al for our non-conference games. The new or old stadium would be sold out helping defray the cost of a new coach. NU could recruit with slogans like "We Don't Promise You The Rose Garden", "NU Builds Men" come join "The Few, The Proud, The Wildcats"

Even if there was a miracle 6-6 season (A+ coaching job), recruiting has gotten so pillaged that a new coach is inevitable.
If by inevitable you mean possible or even likely, sure. But winning 6 games and going to a bowl game puts Braun in position to remain head coach, especially if the team comes together and impresses overall.

4 or 5

Reactions: cat inkansas
I just hope that Braun doesn’t a raw deal out of this, which it seems like will likely happen.

I think Fitz hired the right type of guy — outside the program, always a winner, consistent level of success.

Regardless of what happens this year, I sincerely hope that Braun gets a clear shot to be a B1G DC for NU in 2024.

But I think the framing is right — either he earns a head job, or he polishes up his resume come early December.

I am very impressed with Dave Braun based on my limited interactions so far. He is sincere, likable and brings to NU a track record of success. And from what I have heard, the kids love him-this is especially important they go thru this hell together.

I will be cheering for the kids especially loudly this fall as I want to see them rewarded for sticking around, working hard and fighting thru this. I feel the same way about Dave Braun.

In terms of what it will take for Braun to become our permanent HC, I don’t think it comes down to just wins and losses. More important, he should be evaluated on keeping this team together and believing in themselves. And fighting hard together. After that, you get into things like organizational skills, public speaking, dealing with the media, etc. I think towards the middle of this season, we will have a good idea if Coach Braun is “the guy”. I am pulling for Coach Braun 100%- both as a human being but also as an NU fan.

I am very impressed with Dave Braun based on my limited interactions so far. He is sincere, likable and brings to NU a track record of success. And from what I have heard, the kids love him-this is especially important they go thru this hell together.

I will be cheering for the kids especially loudly this fall as I want to see them rewarded for sticking around, working hard and fighting thru this. I feel the same way about Dave Braun.

In terms of what it will take for Braun to become our permanent HC, I don’t think it comes down to just wins and losses. More important, he should be evaluated on keeping this team together and believing in themselves. And fighting hard together. After that, you get into things like organizational skills, public speaking, dealing with the media, etc. I think towards the middle of this season, we will have a good idea if Coach Braun is “the guy”. I am pulling for Coach Braun 100%- both as a human being but also as an NU fan.
You and Braun have my support. Go 'Cats!!!

If you are going to lose to Alphabet U, why not schedule the National powers like Alabama, Georgia et al for our non-conference games. The new or old stadium would be sold out helping defray the cost of a new coach. NU could recruit with slogans like "We Don't Promise You The Rose Garden", "NU Builds Men" come join "The Few, The Proud, The Wildcats"
Sorry but to get them you would have to pay a lot to do it if it was not on their turf and sold out or not it would lose money

I think 4 wins or more will give him an opportunity to make his case. At that point, it will just matter who else may or may not want the job.

For him to get the job outright, with NU not even considering looking at other coaches, I think he would have to get to 7 or 8 wins. I think 7 or 8 wins would be a miracle coaching feat, but that means you don't even look around.

I feel like the biggest issue Braun has (and the program generally) is that Fitz appeared to really approach this as a 2 or 3 year rebuild process but this was year 1.

I think Fitz realized after 1-11 that much of the staff needed an overhaul on both sides of the ball but wanted to do it over a 2 or 3 year span rather than all at once to phase the rebuild in...

Bajakian for example is on just as hot a seat now as JON was last year and there's other assistants that I think Fitz may have been thinking about replacing over time.

Year 1: overhaul the defense and hope Bajakian can put together something on offense. Year 2: overhaul the offense if Bajakian exits and see how the defense is coming along. Year 3: see what other changes need to be made and whether we're on the right path on offense/defense.

Given Fitz's built-in equity (he wasn't anywhere near the hot seat) and the potential stadium rebuild, I think his 2-3 year rebuild path made sense.

But Braun doesn't have that timeline as HC. He's literally just HC this year and trying to prove himself in this one season.

I feel like he's been given an impossible task. At this point, I think it's more about whether the next coach keeps him on as DC (which might make sense unless it's somebody coming with their own DC in tow).

Start from scratch - allow HC to bring in a whole staff. Helps w recruiting - if HC smartly draws upon guys that can bring some recruits, each coordinator plus HC could bring 3-5 and add 1-2 per position coach and you have a class to start.

4-5. Hope he does. He is a good man and a proven good coach, facing unbelievable odds.

Reactions: drewjin
I just don't want another Fitz, better than .500 and get a decent bowl game. It is time to move beyond Fitz's aspirations. That said, he was great for the program at a time when stability and reasonable success were called for.

I just don't want another Fitz, better than .500 and get a decent bowl game. It is time to move beyond Fitz's aspirations. That said, he was great for the program at a time when stability and reasonable success were called for.
I feel like it's really hard to want that right now given where we are and where the Big Ten is moving (adding USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon and removing divisions).

Our schedules will be much more difficult on average from now on...; just a reality of the Big Ten West disappearing and us more regularly facing Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon.

We're Dark Ages bad right now; I'd take Fitz's record until 2020 over this as just a measure of basic competence.

I feel like the biggest issue Braun has (and the program generally) is that Fitz appeared to really approach this as a 2 or 3 year rebuild process but this was year 1.

I think Fitz realized after 1-11 that much of the staff needed an overhaul on both sides of the ball but wanted to do it over a 2 or 3 year span rather than all at once to phase the rebuild in...

Bajakian for example is on just as hot a seat now as JON was last year and there's other assistants that I think Fitz may have been thinking about replacing over time.

Year 1: overhaul the defense and hope Bajakian can put together something on offense. Year 2: overhaul the offense if Bajakian exits and see how the defense is coming along. Year 3: see what other changes need to be made and whether we're on the right path on offense/defense.

Given Fitz's built-in equity (he wasn't anywhere near the hot seat) and the potential stadium rebuild, I think his 2-3 year rebuild path made sense.

But Braun doesn't have that timeline as HC. He's literally just HC this year and trying to prove himself in this one season.

I feel like he's been given an impossible task. At this point, I think it's more about whether the next coach keeps him on as DC (which might make sense unless it's somebody coming with their own DC in tow).

Well said. You make a lot of excellent points. New HC would be smart to consider keeping Braun as DC. Gonna. We’d at least a couple of holdovers if they have any hope of retaining our top players.

Reactions: zeek55
I feel like it's really hard to want that right now given where we are and where the Big Ten is moving (adding USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon and removing divisions).

Our schedules will be much more difficult on average from now on...; just a reality of the Big Ten West disappearing and us more regularly facing Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon.

We're Dark Ages bad right now; I'd take Fitz's record until 2020 over this as just a measure of basic competence.
However, Fitz brought us to this point, very sad to say. Who knows what will happen from here. I really hope Braun can at least avert total disaster, like some wins and improvement, Whether that will mean a new head coach, who knows? In any case I will never fault Braun, the guy is doing the best he can in a horrendous situation. It is up to the powers that be to sort this out, and may we hope they have the competence to do that.

However, Fitz brought us to this point, very sad to say. Who knows what will happen from here. I really hope Braun can at least avert total disaster, like some wins and improvement, Whether that will mean a new head coach, who knows? In any case I will never fault Braun, the guy is doing the best he can in a horrendous situation. It is up to the powers that be to sort this out, and may we hope they have the competence to do that.
Yeah I want to be clear about this, I put none of this on Braun. I hope as much as anyone that he gets to continue as DC after this no matter what happens. He's said/done all the right things for the program and publicly come across a lot better than Schill/Gragg as the HC.

He came here to be Fitz's DC; this wasn't the job he was offered and it's not like he's been on staff a while or been an HC before or knows the program.

I think my broader point (that I made earlier) is that Braun is in an impossible situation. Fitz had structured this as a multi-year rebuild and was probably hoping to put everything back together over the next 2 years and return the program to much better footing over the next 2 seasons; just feels to me as if Braun is in an impossible situation given Fitz was forced out just as he was starting to make big staff changes when this wasn't likely to be the final staff setup that Fitz would have put together in a year or two.

I would love to see the team improve over this year and put together some wins. It's possible that there's a path for Braun to remain HC, but I also feel like asking him to then judge whether Bajakian should be kept or not or whether he should make other staff changes is a lot to put on him...

Finding a proper head of program that would maintain some staff continuity (especially the newest hires like Braun) makes a lot of sense, but obviously it depends on what staff the new HC would bring from his current job.

5-7 should get him a new contract. Maybe even 4-8 if the team is usually competitive. A bowl game should get him a parade.
Those would be decent outcomes given the circumstances, but unless we win 9 or 10 games we should go out and find the best coach that money can buy. I like Braun and don’t blame him for anything. I liked the move away from Fitz Ball, the fake punt even, the defense seems to be structurally sound. But he is not the best we can do.

Don’t settle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT