ADVERTISEMENT

Which recruits can press for playing time this year?

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
I'm thinking any wide out on our team could have opportunity. And although I think Warren Long is solid, having only JJ, Long, and Vault at RB is still thin since all of them are uniquely different. Moten?

I doubt any DB's see the field unless mounting injuries force some of their shirts off for special teams.

None of our OL are coming in developed, so I would think their shirts stay. Our DL is solid, no Xwas's this year burning shirts.

LB, maybe. Seems like Fox is already fairly developed and a good athlete. Our two deep is wide open at this position.

According to Pat, ALL OF THEM!!! He doesn't decide to redshirt, the players do. So count on 20 guys competing for playing time from day 1.

Based on video and need, I'd say Fox and Moten are the two most likely. The Cats always seem to find a role for at least one Freshman receiver/returner. I think Roberts or Nagel is most likely there.

Jelani Roberts as a returner and possibly position player. Flynn Nagel as a slot WR. Jordan Thompson has an outside shot if he comes in in shape and with enough weight. Same thing for Tommy Vitale.

This post was edited on 2/5 9:22 AM by gocatsgo2003

Geez, I forgot about Roberts. Since Mark's departure, we have really been searching for a return guy. Shuler is fast but has no wiggle back there and doesn't seem to have any vision at all.

I don't know if he'll play right away but Jordan Thompson is a beast!! Saw him play on TV a couple of times and he can flat out play. He has the potential to become and all B1G type player. He's the real deal. Quick and a sure tackler. A real stud.

I think Roberts will see the field because we need his speed in the return game. Expect to see a WR play and it might be Fessler. Green and Nagel might keep the shirt to balance the class. Fox looks like he has a shot too. Thompson, Graziano, and Moton will be good players , but may have to wait a year to see the field. When they do see the field, I think they will stay on it.

"I don't know if he'll play right away but Jordan Thompson is a beast!! Saw him play on TV a couple of times and he can flat out play. He has the potential to become and all B1G type player. He's the real deal. Quick and a sure tackler. A real stud."

+1. This kid is an absolute beast.

Goens and Gaziano are very good players too. I like all three of our DL in this class. (Hopefully, none play this year though.)
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I completely agree. For me personally, I think those 3 DL prospects are the real strengths of this class and that ain't bad!!

Originally posted by catohio:
I completely agree. For me personally, I think those 3 DL prospects are the real strengths of this class and that ain't bad!!
I agree as well. Thompson should be able to play DT if he gets up to around 270. The guy plays well above his weight, using terrific leverage and hip snap, and sheds well. The guy has totally unGladeskat-like pop and quickness.

Originally posted by Gladeskat:

I agree as well. Thompson should be able to play DT if he gets up to around 270. The guy plays well above his weight, using terrific leverage and hip snap, and sheds well. The guy has totally unGladeskat-like pop and quickness.
Would be great if the Cats find a 300 lb run stuffer to play alongside Thompson like Arnfelt had been.

Originally posted by Katatonic:
Originally posted by Gladeskat:

Would be great if the Cats find a 300 lb run stuffer to play alongside Thompson like Arnfelt had been.
Iowa used to get by nicely with the KKK: Mitch King (270, incredibly quick and disruptive...lots of TFL's--he may be similar to Thompson) and Kroul (285--more of a run stuffer who could shed and make plays), and Klug (275 - all around good DT who is doing well in the pros now). I use that line as the model for how Thompson might fit into our line. Iowa's line stopped teams by getting tackles for losses and putting you behind the chains, as well as swarming to the ball. In general, they were very effective but they struggled to stop first downs against good OL's if they couldn't get that TFL or incompletions.

Chapman can also be that disruptive quick guy. We have some good players as redshirt freshmen and RSSophomores like Fred Wyatt and Tyler Lancaster (who is listed at 295 now) as well as McEvilly, Robbins, and Kuhar (but he'll miss Spring so I don't expect much right now for next year) who can contribute. I liked Wyatt's tape (technically sound for a HS'er) but he needs to get bigger and heal up from knee surgery. Lancaster is supposedly one of the strongest guys in the team. He passes my eyeball test but I worry about his injury situation. Mahoney impressed me at times, too. We have depth at DT.

Agree about the DL recruits but also agree that our depth at that position is one of the best on the team. We are very solid on the DL, particularly if McEviily comes back healthy, and that is one reason I don't think any of the three freshmen will burn their shirts. I wish we had a Jordan Thompson equivalent coming in as a freshman on the OL because the quality and depth there is real questionable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT