ADVERTISEMENT

Which was your favorite NU football team since 2000?

Since 2000, which is your favorite NU football team?

• Total voters

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Since the modern NU Football Renaissance in 1995, we NU fans have been treated to some really good football teams and some spectacular games. Most on this board would probably say that the 1995 team was their favorite. In the past 20 seasons from 2000, NU is 133-117, which is a 0.532 winning percentage. Last season was hopefully just a hiccup, and looking forward to returning to our winning ways. What is your favorite team since the 2000 season? Factor in entertainment, enjoyment of the season, success on the field, and the players on that team.

;)

Brain fart posting on the basketball forum, I asked the mods to move this thread to the football forum.
, Yes, but you did the right thing which I have been telling people for ages. If you accidentally post on the wrong board, report your own post so a moderator will see it.

Reactions: phatcat and DaCat
2012, mostly because our first string QB (Colter) was so good.

I agree that the 2012 team was special not only because it was very entertaining while winning 10 games, but most importantly, it was our first bowl win since 1949. Electric Venric Mark was a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball.

My favorite team was the 2000 team. That team never quit, and DA2 was pure magic that year.

I voted for 2000. Lots of great moments that live on in NUFB lore. The Classic Michigan game. Victory Right @ Minnesota. Two upset wins over ranked teams (MSU, Wisco). It was also when we realized that the football team could have success even without Gary Barnett.

2018 was great as well. Big Ten West Champs. Holiday Bowl won with style.

My immediate choice was the Colter/Mark team, but I’m surprised that that’s such a strong majority.

I agree that the ‘05 team was awesome. I loved watching Sutton as a seemingly out-of-nowhere freshman.

Clearly, I value entertainment over “results”. I’m a simple man with a fading memory.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
My immediate choice was the Colter/Mark team, but I’m surprised that that’s such a strong majority.

I agree that the ‘05 team was awesome. I loved watching Sutton as a seemingly out-of-nowhere freshman.

Clearly, I value entertainment over “results”. I’m a simple man with a fading memory.

The Colter/Mark combo was so dynamic when clicking. That was an exciting time. Our OC really had things rolling back then.

Last edited:
The 2000 team was the most entertaining by far. ESPN had a rerun show called instant classic, which picked the best game in the country that week. We were the featured team 2 or 3 times that year, with the OT vs. Wisconsin topped by the Minnesota miracle topped again by the insane shootout win over Michigan. Our first year running the spread is not to be forgotten.

The 2000 team was the most entertaining by far. ESPN had a rerun show called instant classic, which picked the best game in the country that week. We were the featured team 2 or 3 times that year, with the OT vs. Wisconsin topped by the Minnesota miracle topped again by the insane shootout win over Michigan. Our first year running the spread is not to be forgotten.

Hard to believe we lost 4 games.

Thanks to the Colby Swiss Cheese Defense.
Well, for two of our losses, we ran into LaDainian Tomlinson and Drew Brees. And 9-2 top 10 Nebraska for the bowl. The only real head-scratcher was Iowa, although Kirk Ferentz was in the midst of righting the ship and had very disciplined players.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
2012 was a very exciting team to watch. High powered offense and a decent defense. Swept three Power5 teams in the nonconference and ended regular season with a memorable beatdown of Illinois. Heartbreaking losses at Michigan and Penn State, but made up for it with a thrilling end to the awful post season streak on a perfect New Year's Day before a great crowd of NU fans in a bowl with a great tradition. Loved the 2000 team that came out of nowhere (like '95), but that Alamo Bowl beating left made the season look a little fluky.

2012 was a very exciting team to watch. High powered offense and a decent defense. Swept three Power5 teams in the nonconference and ended regular season with a memorable beatdown of Illinois. Heartbreaking losses at Michigan and Penn State, but made up for it with a thrilling end to the awful post season streak on a perfect New Year's Day before a great crowd of NU fans in a bowl with a great tradition. Loved the 2000 team that came out of nowhere (like '95), but that Alamo Bowl beating left made the season look a little fluky.
Realize I'm in the minority, putting that mildly but I liked the 2009 team. Possibly because it was a very good, exciting bowl game , that NU might have won had their kicker not been hurt. Still feel that they should have kicked the extra point and gone into OT. You never know!

Reactions: DaCat
Attended the Mississippi State game and after many frustrating bowl game seasons we finally got that monkey off our back. Probably not so much the favorite team from a player standpoint but that the victory meant so much is the reason for the high percentage of votes in my opinion.

Attended the Mississippi State game and after many frustrating bowl game seasons we finally got that monkey off our back. Probably not so much the favorite team from a player standpoint but that the victory meant so much is the reason for the high percentage of votes in my opinion.
Probably right. I watched that game at Tommy Nevin's in Evanston, and I won't forget it if I live to be 100.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Probably right. I watched that game at Tommy Nevin's in Evanston, and I won't forget it if I live to be 100.
Neither will I. I developed the flu while I was at the game with my father (RIP), wife, and brother. By the time I got back to NC I had a 106 temperature. My dad was so excited to get down by the field after the victory and I was so sick I could barely make it down there with our crew.

Awesome victory, but man was I sick.

Erik

Reactions: NUCat320
I'm a little bit surprised that the 2012 team is running away with the votes so far, but definitely can understand why. Colter-Siemien at QB and Venric Mark busting the long runs made for an entertaining offense. Quentin Williams was a great leader on defense and he went out with a bang in the Gator Bowl.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT