ADVERTISEMENT

Who looks promising among the Cats' current redshirts? *

Trent Greens kid is the #2 QB next year. 10000%, I'd bet my life on it. Never have I seen a prospect with such a good YouTube video in my life. Also if Fitz didn't decide to red shirt him, Charlie Fessler would be a freshman All American this year. He's basically a combo of Megatron size and Tim Dwight speed. He's that good, but we didn't need him in the rotation this year, but next year he's guaranteed to start.

Last edited:
Trent Greens kid is the #2 QB next year. 10000%, I'd bet my life on it. Never have I seen a prospect with such a good YouTube video in my life. Also if Fitz didn't decide to red shirt him, Charlie Fessler would be a freshman All American this year. He's basically a combo of Megatron size and Tim Dwight speed. He's that good, but we didn't need him in the rotation this year, but next year he's guaranteed to start.
I have heard that Nathan Fox is pretty good and there may be an opportunity for him at LB. Watching Green with great interest. He didn't have a lot of high level offers, but clearly (at least to me) was the best player in the state.

Well, Green is either the second coming or has no shot at all, depending upon whom you read on this site. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I really liked Trent Goens' senior tape. He has a golden opportunity to play next year, along with Gaziano.

There was buzz about Jake Murray during camp. HIs HUDL metrics seem inflated, but it sounds as if he is very athletic. He and Hartage might be 2* contributors that would Glades' proud.

Is Fessler really that fast? I love his long body and reach, but he did not strike me as a burner.

Seems like we could have fit Megatron Dwight into the rotation

I have heard that Nathan Fox is pretty good and there may be an opportunity for him at LB. Watching Green with great interest. He didn't have a lot of high level offers, but clearly (at least to me) was the best player in the state.
I loved the Fox's tape and think it was the single best high school highlight tape I've seen since Reggie Bush. Problem is the Fox is an MLB and we have a really really good one. I think it'll be Prater, Walker, Hall next year at the LB spots. Obviously, Fox could be in the 2 deep though.

I wasn't big on Green's tape, but what do I know.

I really liked Trent Goens' senior tape. He has a golden opportunity to play next year, along with Gaziano.

There was buzz about Jake Murray during camp. HIs HUDL metrics seem inflated, but it sounds as if he is very athletic. He and Hartage might be 2* contributors that would Glades' proud.

Is Fessler really that fast? I love his long body and reach, but he did not strike me as a burner.
hartage is already looking good on Saturdays. Making some big plays on special teams. Murray was a steal. Looking at Goens on the sidelines, he looks like a monster who lives in the weight room. If he is athletic then he should be solid.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I loved the Fox's tape and think it was the single best high school highlight tape I've seen since Reggie Bush. Problem is the Fox is an MLB and we have a really really good one. I think it'll be Prater, Walker, Hall next year at the LB spots. Obviously, Fox could be in the 2 deep though.

I wasn't big on Green's tape, but what do I know.

Yes, we have a good MLB, but you're always one play away from needing the second guy. Prater is the most recent example of that.

Yes, we have a good MLB, but you're always one play away from needing the second guy. Prater is the most recent example of that.

If Prater has blown his ACL as I suspect, he likely won't be full throttle until later next season.

Maybe Fox can assume his role. Based on roster metrics, he has put on a lot of weight--about 245 now. If he can still move well at that weight, great. His high school tape showed a guy who ran around whacking people like a Tasmanian Devil. Probably needed to be coached up on tackling technique, and I am sick seeing our OLBs overrun sacks and tackles at times.

Bahahahaha! I'm not GCG. I'm a 27 year old former D3 baseball superstar at North Central College, Gladeskat's old rival if I'm not mistaken. I've never had anything to do with NU, as a student or as a player, coach, etc.

Also, what does "riddled" even mean? I don't know but I do know I've never "riddled" any players before

Bahahahaha! I'm not GCG. I'm a 27 year old former D3 baseball superstar at North Central College, Gladeskat's old rival if I'm not mistaken. I've never had anything to do with NU, as a student or as a player, coach, etc.

Also, what does "riddled" even mean? I don't know but I do know I've never "riddled" any players before
I love D3 athletics. My son played basketball at North Park ('95-'99) and we really enjoyed the games.

This is how you riddle someone:
"Your play needs serious work!"

I
I love D3 athletics. My son played basketball at North Park ('95-'99) and we really enjoyed the games.
'

The athletics in the CCIW are really high quality. My college roommate got drafted by the Red Sox and we had a MLB while I was there who would have started at a lot of B1G schools. His name was Matt Wenger, most dominant football player, competition aside, I've ever seen. I went to HS with Danny Dierking if you guys remember him from his days at Purdue, and his dad (who played 8ish years in the NFL for the Jets and Bengals) told me Wenger could absolutely have started for NU, Purdue, etc. so I'm not just throwing around crazy thoughts.

I thought he had a legit shot at the NFL, but the lockout screwed him over. He took part in NU's proday and outperformed every one of NU's LBs in the 40 and bench.

Almost, if not all, of these comments seem to refer to HS tapes and recruits' projections. Does anybody have any hard evidence from those who have watched practice or talked to coaches?

The Green that will contribute next season is Cam Green.
Believe it or not, I'm actually pretty optimistic about the future of our WRs. Nagel and Roberts have shown promise. I'm surpised Green and Fessler haven't played this year, but I get that they're young and I think they'll be pretty good. I think Lees will be an absolute stud (and Glades will tout him as a two star wonder). Don't know much about Skowronek or Chiaokhiao-Bowman except that we're going to butcher spelling their names and they have some big bodies to throw to. What you think about the future at WR?

Believe it or not, I'm actually pretty optimistic about the future of our WRs. Nagel and Roberts have shown promise. I'm surpised Green and Fessler haven't played this year, but I get that they're young and I think they'll be pretty good. I think Lees will be an absolute stud (and Glades will tout him as a two star wonder). Don't know much about Skowronek or Chiaokhiao-Bowman except that we're going to butcher spelling their names and they have some big bodies to throw to. What you think about the future at WR?
Fessler strikes me as being a lot like McHugh, whom I thought would have more impact here. McHugh's hands were legendary in HS, but I think he struggle to gain separation at this level.

Frankly, I don't see anywhere for WR performance to go but up. Perhaps there will be some synergy to having CT grow up with our young corps of guys like Nagel, Fessler, Green, Roberts, and Lees. I wonder if Skowrenek ends up at super back.

Your post would have been perfect if you had remembered to use the exclamation points.

I like Green's size and the bloodline is pretty good too. He wasn't a burner, but I expect he can go over the middle with his size. He seemed to be used as a decoy in HS. Nagel was the man in HS, but in the little I saw of him this year he looked to need work on his blocking. In fairness, he wasn't out there enough to get a great read on that. I think Roberts will be our return man next season and he'll in the rotation at WR. Curious if they can him in the passing game rather than him running a reverse every time. I haven't seen Fessler live so have no feel there. Defer to no chores or one of our PA friends for that. Skowronek and Rambo seem to be more possession guys with nice frames. Some see Skowronek growing into a SB. Lees jumps out at you in every game he plays. Fast and shifty, but may need a redshirt to learn the position. Vault has to be in the passing game next year as he is too dangerous to glue to the pine.

As Aging says above, this is solely based on HS and limited reps this year. So it could very well be nonsense.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Lees jumps out at you in every game he plays. Fast and shifty, but may need a redshirt to learn the position.

Not sure about that even. He's a brilliant FB kid, and his passing skills as a HS quarterback are more knowing what his receivers do than anything. I think he makes a smooth transition. If anything, I think he could use some bulk. His agility is pretty ridiculous though, and in the slot he might surprise us all.

Almost, if not all, of these comments seem to refer to HS tapes and recruits' projections. Does anybody have any hard evidence from those who have watched practice or talked to coaches?

That's my question also. With closed practices, we simply don't know how the red-shirts are developing at this juncture.

You apparently got Turk all riddled up.

Reactions: chicagocatfan24
Trent Greens kid is the #2 QB next year. 10000%, I'd bet my life on it. Never have I seen a prospect with such a good YouTube video in my life.

Have been intrigued by Green at QB as am partial to more polished passing QBs (who can still scramble and buy time w/ their legs).

Think Fitz and the staff are leaning to that side - w/ Aidan Smith and (former commit) Deuce Wallace being that type of QB.

Dirty cheaters that held on every play. I had never encountered such rampant and deliberate holding like that displayed by the NCC OL. May they all burn in football hell.

I
'

The athletics in the CCIW are really high quality. My college roommate got drafted by the Red Sox and we had a MLB while I was there who would have started at a lot of B1G schools. His name was Matt Wenger, most dominant football player, competition aside, I've ever seen. I went to HS with Danny Dierking if you guys remember him from his days at Purdue, and his dad (who played 8ish years in the NFL for the Jets and Bengals) told me Wenger could absolutely have started for NU, Purdue, etc. so I'm not just throwing around crazy thoughts.

I thought he had a legit shot at the NFL, but the lockout screwed him over. He took part in NU's proday and outperformed every one of NU's LBs in the 40 and bench.

I also agree about the quality of play in the CCIW. While it's a major step down from D1 football with probably no overlap in team quality, each of the better teams had a few players who could have started at Big Ten schools. Most players were all conference players in HS, with many being all-State players who generally lacked the measurables to play D1 ball. In 1977, Elmhurst College had a RB named Donald who would have starred in the Big Ten for several teams. Much was written of him being a big fish in a small pond. Wheaton had TWO QB's and a kicker who could have started at several Big Ten schools. The QB's ended up at Wheaton because they were legacies and turned down FCS offers elsewhere. Wheaton has a tradition of many generations attending the school. I was concerned that the same might happen with Thorson because many people in his life were Wheaton graduates or enrolled at Wheaton. His father was a WC LB who was in the NFL for a few years. His brothers went to WC, and his friends were Wheaton legacies who also turned down offers to go to WC (Peltz).

The CCIW used to be an excellent basketball conference, with several teams winning the D3 National Championship (Illinois Wesleyan, North Park). Jack Sikma is a famous CCIW alum who starred in the NBA.

Based on HS highlights that I saw, I think Fessler has the most upside of any of our WRs that are freshmen this year. He is way better than McHugh was coming in. Fox is strictly a MLB, no way he can replace Prater outside and I think he will behind Walker and Queiro ( a guy i like a lot) on the depth chart. I think Vitale will end up switching sides and replacing his brother at the superback position. I think Goens and Gaziano will need to play big minutes next year at DE and I expect them to both do well. I fully expect Moten to muscle his way into the RB rotation. The guys I really would like to know about are the OL. We need them to develop quickly. I would not be surprised if Otterman is on the two deep next year and hopefully that is a function of how well he has developed rather than of how poor our depth is at that position.

The CCIW used to be an excellent basketball conference, with several teams winning the D3 National Championship (Illinois Wesleyan, North Park). Jack Sikma is a famous CCIW alum who starred in the NBA.
Jack Sikma!!! What a great reference and great player! I miss those days of the NBA. That man could also jump over the phone book of a small suburb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT