ADVERTISEMENT

Who turned down the NU job, according to Jim O’Donnell of the Daily Herald

O’Donnell has around forever. He is from my neck of the woods, I don’t really know him, but I know several people that do. He has printed a lot of negative stuff about NU over the years. He also was one of the few journalist’s that hit Schill and Gragg for their ineptitude. He was hardly a Fitz fan and the notion that Fitz somehow leaked the story is ludicrous.

What I think is some NU fans think the HC Football position is much more desirable that it current is to the masses. Therefore, they question the validity of reports and call BS. Many of these same fans support the Daily information as facts, when many have been less than supported. My position is the NU job is one of the toughest in P5, maybe the toughest, and the names listed (sans Bronco) would NOT be interested in NU with the current restrictions and Bozo, Cooky, and Ringmaster Ned.
This is a tough job, but there are a couple of huge benefits over many other similar programs: 1) the most reasonable expectations in the Power 5, and 2) can offer a top 20 salary, which is generational wealth.

Those 2 factors are why I'm skeptical of this article. (And that's before factoring in the Big Ten/SEC becoming the only 2 conferences that matter in the future).

The NU job is better than every job in the Big 12 with maybe the exception of Oklahoma State imo.

This job is better than 10 or 11 jobs in the ACC (FSU, Clemson, Miami are the ones I'd put above).

It's a Power 2 game now. 12 of the top 13 schools in the current CFP top 25 are in the Big Ten/SEC.

Big Ten/SEC schools will be pulling in $100 million per year in conference distributions before accounting for any other revenue annually.

Obviously the next 2 years are very weird without a home stadium which I think is a bigger factor in declining than the Fitz fiasco.

But anybody that can see past that will realize pretty quickly that if we go to a world where players are paid out of conference distributions, that the Big Ten/SEC are the place to be.

If I had to rank all FBS schools in 2026 terms, I'd put NU somewhere around #20-30 in terms of the job's appeal.

You can earn $7-10 million per year at a school with $150 million in annual athletics revenue (impt once players are being paid) with $1.3 billion worth of athletics facilities built in the past decade and reasonable expectations.

Yes there are downsides, we'll never have the fan support or giant state school atmosphere/following, but the rest more than makes up for it.

Last edited:
Tilman Fertitta hasn’t been shy about throwing around his billions.
Oh totally, but I'd hate for him to decide after a season or two that I'm not the coach for his program. Because then, even if you have the support of the institution, you are cooked.

Again though, good luck to him and I hope I am wrong.

Oh totally, but I'd hate for him to decide after a season or two that I'm not the coach for his program. Because then, even if you have the support of the institution, you are cooked.

Again though, good luck to him and I hope I am wrong.

I would also have tens of millions of dollars… tends to soften the blow a bit.

Reactions: epicbret
This is a tough job, but there are a couple of huge benefits over many other similar programs: 1) the most reasonable expectations in the Power 5, and 2) can offer a top 20 salary, which is generational wealth.

Those 2 factors are why I'm skeptical of this article. (And that's before factoring in the Big Ten/SEC becoming the only 2 conferences that matter in the future).

The NU job is better than every job in the Big 12 with maybe the exception of Oklahoma State imo.

This job is better than 10 or 11 jobs in the ACC (FSU, Clemson, Miami are the ones I'd put above).

It's a Power 2 game now. 12 of the top 13 schools in the current CFP top 25 are in the Big Ten/SEC.

Big Ten/SEC schools will be pulling in $100 million per year in conference distributions before accounting for any other revenue annually.

Obviously the next 2 years are very weird without a home stadium which I think is a bigger factor in declining than the Fitz fiasco.

But anybody that can see past that will realize pretty quickly that if we go to a world where players are paid out of conference distributions, that the Big Ten/SEC are the place to be.

If I had to rank all FBS schools in 2026 terms, I'd put NU somewhere around #20-30 in terms of the job's appeal.

You can earn $7-10 million per year at a school with $150 million in annual athletics revenue (impt once players are being paid) with $1.3 billion worth of athletics facilities built in the past decade and reasonable expectations.

Yes there are downsides, we'll never have the fan support or giant state school atmosphere/following, but the rest more than makes up for it.
Yes, I was commenting to the desirability of the job right now. I agree, if you look out to the future, the job becomes much more appealing.

Reactions: zeek55
I am bored with this topic and moving on. I don't care who by way of inuendo or whisper turned down the job. We have a young coach who is headed to a bowl game in a few weeks. That is the future and that is all that matters. Go Cats!!

I am bored with this topic and moving on. I don't care who by way of inuendo or whisper turned down the job. We have a young coach who is headed to a bowl game in a few weeks. That is the future and that is all that matters. Go Cats!!
I'm with you. Topic is irrelevant and meaningless. Where are you Cappy?

Reactions: mountaindrew
If you are bored, you don’t have to click on the thread. Magic!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT