ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the hardest to replace next year?

Yeah, I don't think it's a shot at CT to say that we should have arguably higher expectations for Johnson's 2019 campaign than Thorson's 2018 campaign given CT was coming off surgery and took a few weeks to really get comfortable.

Hunter's going to be starting as a 21 year old QB that's had 2.5 years of training in college programs at Clemson and Northwestern.

Doesn't mean he'll look like a young superstar QB, but he should be considerably more developed than any redshirt freshman would look.
He will be a RS Soph. CT was never himself. He had 15 TDs but 14 INTs. I have to think HJ will be at least at that level. Maybe not the level CT was at before the injury but at least at the level CT was at for much of this year.

Reactions: DaCat
Um, HJ was a 5 star recruit and has playing experience at Clemson. Granted he does not have experience behind our OL

Hunter may or may not be a "plug-and-play" replacement for Thorson immediately as many fans are hoping, but he is probably our best QB prospect ever. I'll take that.

In college, a "longtime" starting QB is a guy who has started for 2 years in most cases. 4 year starters are extremely rare. The biggest adjustment is the staff's familiarity with the incumbent's skillset, but that is not a terribly difficult transition for any coordinator worth his salt (cue beyotching about Mick).

The closest thing we have had to HuJo as a QB recruit was Baz, who was OK as a frosh and struggled as a sophomore. HuJo already has a fair amount of seasoning at NU. I think he will be fine.
I agree. I think he will be fine. But the question is which player will be the hardest to replace? If not CT, then maybe Hartage. But with Hartage, we have seen his replacement already (God knows I'm not talking about Mayo), i.e., Ruiz, and although he isn't any Hartage, he has been proven to be reliable. Newsome, although burned on multiple occasion by biting on the double moves against OSU, also appears to be salvageable. What we really don't know is Hunter Johnson and how he will fit. I'm assuming he will actually be an improvement since the QB rating this year was below par. Bar isn't set that high, but nonetheless, fingers crossed.

I agree. I think he will be fine. But the question is which player will be the hardest to replace? If not CT, then maybe Hartage. But with Hartage, we have seen his replacement already (God knows I'm not talking about Mayo), i.e., Ruiz, and although he isn't any Hartage, he has been proven to be reliable. Newsome, although burned on multiple occasion by biting on the double moves against OSU, also appears to be salvageable. What we really don't know is Hunter Johnson and how he will fit. I'm assuming he will actually be an improvement since the QB rating this year was below par. Bar isn't set that high, but nonetheless, fingers crossed.
Hartage was not the Hartage we know now when he started getting on the field 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Hunter may or may not be a "plug-and-play" replacement for Thorson immediately as many fans are hoping, but he is probably our best QB prospect ever. I'll take that.
Remember CT at the start of the year? Akron anyone? As a new starter, in the first couple games next year, the bar was not set high. By then HJ should be starting to take over. Overall, I think he will do just fine as a replacement. He might not be CT in 2016 or 2017 but I have to think he will be at the level of 2018 CT.

Are we absolutely certain that the Gaz is coming back? Could he enter the draft? If he leaves, then I'd say him. Otherwise its probably the hybrid of the graduating DL.

He supposedly can make any throw, so we are getting the same template as Thorson, i.e., the whole passing playbook is open. But he apparently is harder to sack than Thorson, from the reports. I'm not saying there will be a dropoff because the QB rating this year was abysmal with just as many INT's as TD's and the lowest yard per attempt this century. But, I don't care what the QB rating is, the question was what will be the hardest player to replace. And when you replace a QB, you have to replace the playbook, and sometimes the complete offence. Just like in baseball. The Cubs had to replace Arietta. Much easier to replace an outfielder, catcher, or infielder. So much is dependent upon the QB and his style of play. That's why I find it strange when some coaches, like Fitz recruit "the best available QB" instead of a QB that is duel or pro or classic drop back only. Hunter seems to be a mix.

My understanding is he throws a much better ball than Thorson and he is much more accurate. Those passes behind the receivers, I hope/expect to go away. I expect to see something closer to the days of elite CJ Bacher (of the back to back Minnesota and Michigan State games).

My question is how will he take his tools and perform in terms of poise (particularly with a shaky OL) and overall decision making. Looks like he did ok in his limited time at Clemson (some of which was not just garbage time), and the Clemson people seemed to think he should have been ahead of Bryant but not Lawrence. I'll take it if he's better than Kelly Bryant was. Which likely means he's better than Thorson already.

Are we absolutely certain that the Gaz is coming back? Could he enter the draft? If he leaves, then I'd say him. Otherwise its probably the hybrid of the graduating DL.

Gaz is not heading to the draft. He wasn't even first team All B1G.

^ At the very least, HJ next season should be ahead of where CT was in his 1st year of starting.

Coming out of high school, HJ was already a more polished passer than CT (who was pretty raw) and he should be even more polished heading into his 3rd year in a college program.

Thompson and Co. at DT.

According to PFF -

Thompson led all Big Ten defensive linemen with a run-defense grade of 91.0 in 2018.

And aside from his punting, where would the 'Cats have been if Collins hadn't been able to take-over PAT kicking duties?

Last edited:
Reactions: DaCat
^ At the very least, HJ next season should be ahead of where CT was in his 1st year of starting.

Coming out of high school, HJ was already a more polished passer than CT (who was pretty raw) and he should be even more polished heading into his 3rd year in a college program.
Saw that. Quite unheralded as per usual with the Cats.

According to PFF -

Thompson led all Big Ten defensive linemen with a run-defense grade of 91.0 in 2018.

And aside from his punting, where would the 'Cats have been if Collins hadn't been able to take-over PAT kicking duties?

What's the plan for replacing Collins at P and (while we're on the topic of kickers) is there any plan to add some quality depth at PK?

What's the plan for replacing Collins at P and (while we're on the topic of kickers) is there any plan to add some quality depth at PK?

We just signed a PWO kicker, Trey Finison of Tuscaloosa, AL, for 2019. This year was a fluke year with BOTH kickers injured at the same time. I hope both guys can be back healthy next year, with Finison providing quality backup.

I think punter is a more desperate need. Walk-ons Cody Gronewald and Jake Genyk will return next year, don't know if we'll add any more.

I am more confident in Johnson’s ability to match or exceed Thorson’s contributions this year than I am in any returning CB’s ability to match or exceed Hartage’s contributions for this season.

Agreed. For those concerned about Hunter’s leadership, go watch the documentary of the Elite 11 camp in 2016. When the coaches asked the top QB prospects in the nation “If you could pick one QB to lead your program, excluding yourself, who would it be?” they were near-unanimous in selecting Hunter. Tua Tagovailoa was among them, I believe. He has a quiet confidence about him. Sure you can say his health and durability is no guarantee, but the same could be said for anyone.

Agreed. For those concerned about Hunter’s leadership, go watch the documentary of the Elite 11 camp in 2016. When the coaches asked the top QB prospects in the nation “If you could pick one QB to lead your program, excluding yourself, who would it be?” they were near-unanimous in selecting Hunter. Tua Tagovailoa was among them, I believe. He has a quiet confidence about him. Sure you can say his health and durability is no guarantee, but the same could be said for anyone.
Wasn't he practice player of the year?

5 Star recruit, good limited playing time, practice warrior. He'll be fine

Wasn't he practice player of the year?

5 Star recruit, good limited playing time, practice warrior. He'll be fine
He received rave reports at Clemson. Those close to the program still were like "Ah Shit" despite Trevor Lawrence because of the caliber of kid that Hunter is.

We just signed a PWO kicker, Trey Finison of Tuscaloosa, AL, for 2019. This year was a fluke year with BOTH kickers injured at the same time. I hope both guys can be back healthy next year, with Finison providing quality backup.

I think punter is a more desperate need. Walk-ons Cody Gronewald and Jake Genyk will return next year, don't know if we'll add any more.
Any chance that their injures heal up so they are able to play in the bowl game?

So you're saying that, even when we don't score TDs, we'll still be Finison drives w FGs?

Reactions: epicbret
So you're saying that, even when we don't score TDs, we'll still be Finison drives w FGs?
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT