ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn't KY play for overtime?

sprinkler2

Aug 31, 2007
NU was playing with the backup QB and hadn't scored any offensive points in the entire second half of the game. Seems like going for two was actually the dumbest coaching call of the game.

NU was playing with the backup QB and hadn't scored any offensive points in the entire second half of the game. Seems like going for two was actually the dumbest coaching call of the game.
The Kentucky fans have been saying that their quarterback was gimpy and they were worried due to our experience with OT this year.

Their QB was playing on fumes as it was having been out at least twice from his own injuries. Their star running back for whom they had game planned was unavailable,

As to NU having failed to score that was countered by having been able to effectively move the ball down the field.

It was also likely recognized that even without Paddy our D was better than theirs.

I actually liked the call. NU had just virtually handed them a chance to win a game they had no business winning. Their coach probably thought he had the momentum and might as well go for it. I generally can't fault any coach who goes for a win under those circumstances.

They made the right call. They didn't really have consistent offense, and we still had a running game and a better defense.

And we're a pretty composed team given our success in OT this season.

They made the right call. They didn't really have consistent offense, and we still had a running game and a better defense.

And we're a pretty composed team given our success in OT this season.
And going into OT with a qb that has already thrown 2 interceptions against a team that is running well. Makes sense.

ESPN told them to, right?

I would have done the same thing as Stoops. The shorter field helps our defense, which has been somewhat susceptible to getting beaten deep. Our run defense was throttling UK. Gaziano was running amok. I think SJ will probably have nightmares for weeks to come. Gaziano beat him to a pulp that game.

Most of the UK fan base supported the call to go for 2. Our lack of any semblance of a rushing attack, combined the defense general inability to stop the run the entire made OT a dicey proposition. Our game probably had the most drama of any bowl game not played in Pasadena.

Agree with all the above. Good call by Stoops.

After watching the replay upon returning from Nashville, I changed my impression of Kentucky and Stoops. The players were chippy and mouthy at the start - SEC arrogance probably - but Stoops, the coaching staff and their players (at least after the game) - were first rate. The fans I spoke to were also great.

Most of the UK fan base supported the call to go for 2. Our lack of any semblance of a rushing attack, combined the defense general inability to stop the run the entire made OT a dicey proposition. Our game probably had the most drama of any bowl game not played in Pasadena.

ukalum, have a question i’ll get to. First, Snell being tossed was ridiculous. More ridiculous even than Fisher being thrown out. But something the announcers touched upon, in talking about your LB Jones in particular, was the personal fouls he’s racked up this year. The one where he hit our RB in the head after the play was unbelievably stupid.

Do your fans think at all the quick trigger on Snell, and the one on the sideline after your qb went down, could have been based on officials already being keyed up, looking for sportsmanship penalties from Kentucky based on reputation? I don’t know your history or prevalence of sportsmanship penalties from your group other than what the announcers said about Jones. ‘Reputation’ may be a completely inappropriate word. But the triggers just seemed so quick, like after a coach bitches about holding for a while, the refs start looking for it and invariably find it.

Wondering the UK perspective on this.

ukalum, have a question i’ll get to. First, Snell being tossed was ridiculous. More ridiculous even than Fisher being thrown out. But something the announcers touched upon, in talking about your LB Jones in particular, was the personal fouls he’s racked up this year. The one where he hit our RB in the head after the play was unbelievably stupid. I'm not the one you asked but yes. Jones has been a hot head all year. The guy just has a high motor that never stops. He's always running his mouth and being warned by officials. If he doesn't compose himself they will have to do something with him next year. I'm not sure they were keying in on that at the start but it's possible. I shake my head everytime He gets a tackle because we usually know what's going to happen next.

Do your fans think at all the quick trigger on Snell, and the one on the sideline after your qb went down, could have been based on officials already being keyed up, looking for sportsmanship penalties from Kentucky based on reputation? I don’t know your history or prevalence of sportsmanship penalties from your group other than what the announcers said about Jones. ‘Reputation’ may be a completely inappropriate word. But the triggers just seemed so quick, like after a coach bitches about holding for a while, the refs start looking for it and invariably find it.

Agree with all the above. Good call by Stoops.

After watching the replay upon returning from Nashville, I changed my impression of Kentucky and Stoops. The players were chippy and mouthy at the start - SEC arrogance probably - but Stoops, the coaching staff and their players (at least after the game) - were first rate. The fans I spoke to were also great.
Hated that staff during recruiting and hated that staff during the game. A team of undisciplined thugs just like their coach. Would have been extremely upset if we lost to them.. But I said they should go for two before they made the choice. It was the right call.

CatsDad, I will go with your call on Kentucky. I know at the game I thought they were out of line, but all of that was from the other side of the stadium. Listening to the TV broadcast later, didn't seem as bad. Interesting how perceptions can be influenced.

ukalum, have a question i’ll get to. First, Snell being tossed was ridiculous. More ridiculous even than Fisher being thrown out. But something the announcers touched upon, in talking about your LB Jones in particular, was the personal fouls he’s racked up this year. The one where he hit our RB in the head after the play was unbelievably stupid.

You've given me a lot to work with here.....

I think we all agree the officiating was atrocious. No way should Snell or Fisher have been disqualified. One other no-call that sticks in UK fans craw was our QB Stephen Johnson getting tackled out of bounds. Not only did we not get that call, we got a flag for bitching about the no-call. That whole crew should be fired, but we know that's not going to happen.

It would be fair to say that a lot of UK fans have grown weary of J Jones' on-field antics. I remember a play from the game where he tackled your RB after a 6-7 yard gain, and he started woofing like he'd made a game-saving play. It was embarrassing to see. The play you mention is another example.

Apart from Jones, I don't think very many UK players have a reputation that refs are going to be on the lookout for. I just think this particular PAC-12 crew was incompetent.

Reactions: Bwm57

I think we all agree the officiating was atrocious. No way should Snell or Fisher have been disqualified. One other no-call that sticks in UK fans craw was our QB Stephen Johnson getting tackled out of bounds. Not only did we not get that call, we got a flag for bitching about the no-call. That whole crew should be fired, but we know that's not going to happen.

It would be fair to say that a lot of UK fans have grown weary of J Jones' on-field antics. I remember a play from the game where he tackled your RB after a 6-7 yard gain, and he started woofing like he'd made a game-saving play. It was embarrassing to see. The play you mention is another example.

Apart from Jones, I don't think very many UK players have a reputation that refs are going to be on the lookout for. I just think this particular PAC-12 crew was incompetent.

Agree on the quality of the officiating. Just wondering why Kentucky was so singled out for sportsmanship, seemingly from the get go. We see far less of what causes the infractions from the stands or via TV, so didn’t know how justified those calls were. Thanks.

Agree about the refs, but Gaziano's tackle of Johnson out of bounds was not a late hit IMO, he had momentum from well in bounds on top of Johnson and there is no way he could have stopped. Really unfortunate about Snell--would have loved to see the game completed with all players who went out, in the entire game, including Johnson.

Agree about the refs, but Gaziano's tackle of Johnson out of bounds was not a late hit IMO, he had momentum from well in bounds on top of Johnson and there is no way he could have stopped. Really unfortunate about Snell--would have loved to see the game completed with all players who went out, in the entire game, including Johnson.

The contact was initiated in-bounds and looked like Gaziano actually pulled up somewhat instead of driving his whole weight down on Johnson. Definitely a "gray area" play, but not sure what more Gaziano could have done.

The contact was initiated in-bounds and looked like Gaziano actually pulled up somewhat instead of driving his whole weight down on Johnson. Definitely a "gray area" play, but not sure what more Gaziano could have done.
I was expecting a call against Gaziano on that play - an unfortunate call. I immediately looked at it a few times, and thought it was on the edge but clean.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Agree GCG. No idea how these types of tackles should be officiated. Both were clearly in bounds when he grabbed him, and there was no way to stop the tackle once it was on the sideline

It looked to me that Gaz was trying to slide down SJ's torso as they were heading out of bounds, as if Gaz was trying to lower his center of gravity. Maybe SJ was already headed down at that point. Gaz probably has close to 100 pounds on him. But it sure as heck looked like he was trying to let up.

The play that bothers me the most was the suplex on Skow that resulted in his concussion. I thought that was pretty egregious.

Agree on the quality of the officiating. Just wondering why Kentucky was so singled out for sportsmanship, seemingly from the get go. We see far less of what causes the infractions from the stands or via TV, so didn’t know how justified those calls were. Thanks.
The first personal foul of the game was called against us.

I concur that the officials were not competent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT