ADVERTISEMENT

Why wasn't the helmet to helmet blow to Sullivan reviewed for targeting?

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
I thought intent was not in the equation when there is clear helmet to helmet contact. Perhaps this will be reviewed by the officials this week? Too bad it didn't get called at the time as the penalty yards could have made a significant difference in keeping the drive alive.

I agree, AWK. I thought it odd that the tv announcers didn't even make any mention of a penalty being a possibility. I wonder what the WGN announcers had to say about it.

I agree, AWK. I thought it odd that the tv announcers didn't even make any mention of a penalty being a possibility. I wonder what the WGN announcers had to say about it.
The officials probably wanted to get out of there - due to both the weather and the OSU fans.

Long story short: they were likely afraid for their lives and wanted to get out of a stadium that was likely 90% OSU fans.

I was at a Wisconsin-OSU game at the shoe about 15 years ago which OSU had won by 2TDs. My buddy and I headed for the parking lot early to try and beat traffic out, and we were outside when the game officially ended.

Less than a minute after the end of a game, the officials came speeding out in a special van to get away. Because the game had been a close one at the shoe, they had a protocol to escape as quickly as possible to avoid the fans’ wrath.

At the time we thought it was comical - but looking back, those refs were afraid for their lives. I imagine the bloodthirstiness has only gotten worse for the blue blood programs.

The officials probably wanted to get out of there - due to both the weather and the OSU fans.

Long story short: they were likely afraid for their lives and wanted to get out of a stadium that was likely 90% OSU fans.

I was at a Wisconsin-OSU game at the shoe about 15 years ago which OSU had won by 2TDs. My buddy and I headed for the parking lot early to try and beat traffic out, and we were outside when the game officially ended.

Less than a minute after the end of a game, the officials came speeding out in a special van to get away. Because the game had been a close one at the shoe, they had a protocol to escape as quickly as possible to avoid the fans’ wrath.

At the time we thought it was comical - but looking back, those refs were afraid for their lives. I imagine the bloodthirstiness has only gotten worse for the blue blood programs.
There is still supposed to be a guy hidden away in a super-secret location somewhere in this fair land of ours. This mysterious man could also have reviewed it. Maybe Bucks fans have his cell number.

As a side note, the Buckeye fans around me were amongst the surliest group of fans I've dealt with. One such “gentleman“ earlier in the game said, “Break him in half!“ after a Sullivan scramble. I called him on it after the concussion and he told me, “I didn't really mean I wanted this to happen.“ To be fair, being broken in half is not the same as a concussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT