ADVERTISEMENT

Wildcats made A Final Four (Weeks) on the Media Front: We were "The Story" - Thanks to All

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
We were THE STORY each week:

1. The final week of the regular season with ESPN's "Play of the Day" - The Miracle Finish!

IMG_5964_zps8cpguzbt.jpg

2. The media darling of Selection Sunday as Northwestern made history being selected to go to the NCAA Tournament for the first time ever.

IMG_6572_zpsyuga4jgg.jpg

3. The most talked about game of the First Round when the rest of the talk was chalk.

IMG_6794_zpsfvfbyilj.jpg

4. The most talked about game of the Second Round even when a number one seed fell.

IMG_6803_zps1uwizrn5.jpg

Then there were the subplots of the son on the team and his TV star mom;

IMG_6688_zpsmnw1uuxr.jpg

.... the college coach son and his NBA coach dad;

IMG_6748_zpstpxppphg.jpg

..... and the historic year that included the Wildcats' first appearance in the Big Ten Conference semi-final game.

IMG_6589_zpsurxdfivv.jpg

What a ride, what a month! Thanks to the players, coaches and fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320

1. The final week of the regular season with ESPN's "Play of the Day" - The Miracle Finish!

IMG_5964_zps8cpguzbt.jpg

2. The media darling of Selection Sunday as Northwestern made history being selected to go to the NCAA Tournament for the first time ever.

IMG_6572_zpsyuga4jgg.jpg

3. The most talked about game of the First Round when the rest of the talk was chalk.

IMG_6794_zpsfvfbyilj.jpg

4. The most talked about game of the Second Round even when a number one seed fell.

IMG_6803_zps1uwizrn5.jpg

IMG_6688_zpsmnw1uuxr.jpg

IMG_6748_zpstpxppphg.jpg

..... and the historic year that included the Wildcats' first appearance in the Big Ten Conference semi-final game.

IMG_6589_zpsurxdfivv.jpg

Don't forget Jim Phillips' son and the air time he got.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Don't forget Jim Phillips' son and the air time he got.

Talking about sons, Lou's kid deserves a mention too. As I recall, each time he attended a home game with his dad we won. Now if we had only somehow gotten him out to Salt Lake City Saturday. :rolleyes:

Talking about sons, Lou's kid deserves a mention too. As I recall, each time he attended a home game with his dad we won. Now if we had only somehow gotten him out to Salt Lake City Saturday. :rolleyes:
And its not over yet...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/m...e-calls-of-the-ncaa-tournament-062205628.html

The list of 5 worst officiating blunders of the tournament to date. Not surprisingly, we are #1.

and...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/m...-the-terrible-final-possession-221253765.html

Talking about poor final shots (in this case-Vandy's 27 footer at the end)

Last edited:
No screen caps of Nantz/Raf/Hill to close out Welsh-Ryan??? To borrow from Nantz, it was a "Senior Day unlike any other"

IMG_5964_zps8cpguzbt.jpg

IMG_6572_zpsyuga4jgg.jpg

IMG_6794_zpsfvfbyilj.jpg

IMG_6803_zps1uwizrn5.jpg

IMG_6688_zpsmnw1uuxr.jpg

IMG_6748_zpstpxppphg.jpg

IMG_6589_zpsurxdfivv.jpg

You forgot the AD's kid being the meme of the tourney

And its not over yet...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/m...e-calls-of-the-ncaa-tournament-062205628.html

The list of 5 worst officiating blunders of the tournament to date. Not surprisingly, we are #1.

and...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/m...-the-terrible-final-possession-221253765.html

Talking about poor final shots (in this case-Vandy's 27 footer at the end)

Definitely, the media attention is "not over yet..."

As I was driving over for my morning swim Dan Patrick of CBS Radio was engaged in a lengthy interview with Charlie Hall and his dad Brad. They had lots to say about these past few weeks and Northwestern. It was a fun segment and Brad made sure to point out that his son had the rebound record for the most rebounds per minute.

As I was driving over for my morning swim Dan Patrick of CBS Radio was engaged in a lengthy interview with Charlie Hall and his dad Brad. They had lots to say about these past few weeks and Northwestern. It was a fun segment and Brad made sure to point out that his son had the rebound record for the most rebounds per minute.
Here you go!

Last edited:

Great fun interview. I bet Charlie scores more then once next season. Wonder if Vegas will have odds on it.

In the "Its not over yet" department, this morning's "Today Show" on NBC had a feature on Northwestern as a Cinderella Team. I missed it, but a family member related that Jim Phillips' son was featured front and center. This other "Northwestern Son Story" on the internet continues to keep racking up the hits as well:

IMG_6839_zps7tttryem.jpg
IMG_6840_zpsheeeqr7z.jpg

Gotta love the expressions on the siblings?/friends? faces as well.

The drama continues. Heading home from work while tuned to The D.A. Show on CBS Sports Radio, the "Epic Fail" feature highlighted the "Crying Northwestern Kid."

As though it were some kind of breaking news (today is now Tuesday) it was announced that the identity of the kid had been identified as the Northwestern "Athletic Director's" son. I guess that is one way to keep the story timely.

Last edited:
For those who subscribe to the Mojo Moose Karma, it is unfortunate that we won't be playing in the Sweet Sixteen Round as the Moose made their Karmic appearance at the foot of my driveway this evening. Perhaps the mojo will carry over to portend a win in our opening football game with Nevada this fall.

IMG_6953_zpsfp2yjupo.jpg
IMG_6984_zpsixgj6ukj.jpg
IMG_6973_zpsiea2u0ux.jpg
IMG_6919_zpsaomwwo5z.jpg
IMG_6969_zps4euzblce.jpg

Last edited:
The refs really messed the tourney up. Can you imagine the story line if that comeback goes to it's possible ending if they got the goal tending call and were down by only 3, took the momentum and won.

The refs really messed the tourney up. Can you imagine the story line if that comeback goes to it's possible ending if they got the goal tending call and were down by only 3, took the momentum and won.

Even though we did not advance, the "story line" continues to at least some degree. This morning as I was driving to the pool for my morning swim, I switched on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike program. Michigan State's Tom Izzo was being interviewed by NU alum Mike Greenberg. Right out the gate the first thing Izzo said was how much he enjoyed "Watching your Wildcats." He then went on to compliment the job that Chris Collins has done at Northwestern.

And on the continuing NU in the news front - Oregon's first return to the finals since their first appearance in Evamston brought mention of Northwestern along with a media plug regarding the Wildcats having hosted the first NCAA Tournament as well as having made it into the Tournament:

The NCAA hosted its first hoops championship in 1939 in Evanston, Illinois; ironically, at Northwestern, the school that until this year couldn't get to the party it first hosted. Eight teams reluctantly agreed to participate in the newfangled tourney. The Webfoots, nicknamed the "Tall Firs," won the championship. We know them as the Oregon Ducks. They've spent the past 78 years designing new uniforms and cornering the Nike market, and were the only school that had a booster (Phil Knight) climb the ladder to snip a piece of the net. But cool unis do not necessarily beget basketball results. Oregon's drought had stretched the entire history of the sport.

"1939 was a long time ago,'' Altman said in a Captain Obvious moment after the Ducks upset No. 1 seed Kansas to move on.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nzaga-north-carolina-make-eclectic-final-four

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT