ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin DC Wilcox to Cal as HC

Let's see how much of the offense they keep. I actually thought Chip Kelly would end up there.

Apparently not a good fit because Cal is looking for some long-term dedication and loyalty. In addition there was speculation that CK does not want to cope with - save me - academic restrictions. Dykes apparently encouraged outside interests. NU knows how that feels.

I am delighted to see UW lose such a talented coach. OTOH, too bad he went to Cal. I'm not missing Narduzzi either.

Wilcox is a really good choice for Cal. I've been a season ticket holder there almost 20 years, and despite the explosive offense the team was almost unwatchable during Dykes' tenure. In addition to the awful defense, they were prone to mental lapses, particularly unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Wilcox was an assistant to Tedford in his best years, and was great at Wisconsin. It looks like an upgrade for Cal and a downgrade for the Badgers, with both making me happy.

While I don't with Coach Wilcox ill, I am a bit surprised they didn't hire someone a bit splashier. Not for the splash per-se, just someone more experienced.

Greg Schiano is one example. Or Joe Moorehead. Big time guys with head coaching experience.

It just seems Cal could have done better than a first time head coach from Wisconsin few have heard about.

But since it will do Wisconsin no favors - I'm all for it!

I think Wilcox is a very good hire and will do well at Cal. It's a good fit. Kelly, on the other hand, may have a tough time finding a head coaching job with the rep he is developing.

Reactions: Deep Purr
While I don't with Coach Wilcox ill, I am a bit surprised they didn't hire someone a bit splashier. Not for the splash per-se, just someone more experienced.

Greg Schiano is one example. Or Joe Moorehead. Big time guys with head coaching experience.

It just seems Cal could have done better than a first time head coach from Wisconsin few have heard about.

But since it will do Wisconsin no favors - I'm all for it!

There is a perception in America that young is better. Innovation over experience, energy over wisdom. Part of it is well founded because of ever more complex technology but you can always hire a twelve year old as an assistant for that.

There is a perception in America that young is better. Innovation over experience, energy over wisdom. Part of it is well founded because of ever more complex technology but you can always hire a twelve year old as an assistant for that.

Being innovative is not a bad thing, but I'm not sure that ever more complex technology has much to do with teaching football players how to play defense. Hank is no youngster, but he seems to do a good job with the NU defense.

Good news as they won't be as tough next year
Don't believe that.
Early on WIlcox played the ARANDA style of defense, sending blitzing linebackers and safeties.
As the season moved on , he played more 2-5 with Backers dropping into coverage and we lost second half to PSU that way and kept the COtton Bowl close that way, his mentlaity is bend but don't break.
Badgers won't miss a beat with him gone, it was getting worse, not better.

Don't believe that.
Early on WIlcox played the ARANDA style of defense, sending blitzing linebackers and safeties.
As the season moved on , he played more 2-5 with Backers dropping into coverage and we lost second half to PSU that way and kept the COtton Bowl close that way, his mentlaity is bend but don't break.
Badgers won't miss a beat with him gone, it was getting worse, not better.

BADGERS CRUSH EVERYONE!!!

Being innovative is not a bad thing, but I'm not sure that ever more complex technology has much to do with teaching football players how to play defense. Hank is no youngster, but he seems to do a good job with the NU defense.

I said it was a perception not a reality. It's alternative truth:rolleyes:

I think Hank is one of the best. I hope he keeps coaching for many years to come.

Don't sleep on Joe Moorhead. Can't believe he didn't get a head job this year.

As for Hank, love the guy...but he can't coach forever. Who is heir apparent? Bates?

Hankwitz will turn 70 in December of 2017. Does he have 3~4 more years left? Don't know. But a replacement is a looming necessity. He'll be hard to replace, he has done an awesome job at NU post-Colby.

Don't sleep on Joe Moorhead. Can't believe he didn't get a head job this year.

As for Hank, love the guy...but he can't coach forever. Who is heir apparent? Bates?

I would think that he and Fitz have talked about an exit timetable. If not, shame on Fitz. Based on the timetable I would think that NU would be having conversations with a variety of men who might become available at that time. NU might also be ready to buy Hank out if certain names became available at a moments notice. I hope they are taking this kind of rotation seriously.

Good organizations have a succession strategy for key performers. I trust that Fitz has one in place for Hank. But I'm hoping Hank can give at least 3-5 more good years. I think he is vastly underrated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT