ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz tests positive for Covid 19

You got to be kidding me! That kid may be the best qb in college right now! Nebraska ain't no walk in the park!
Is this one of those false positives from a rapid test? I'm sure it will be repeated, and if negative, which one is believable? Well the more accurate one, of course, that takes more time.

I hope it's negative. He is worth watching, and I want us to beat them at their best.

Unlikely to be the only this season. Whether a real or false positive, it will be a constant factor.
With the numbers coming out of the sate of Wisconsin, this should not be a surprise. Likely more to follow.

I hope it's negative. He is worth watching, and I want us to beat them at their best.

The reporting I heard was that with the positive confirmed he will be out three weeks. We are scheduled to play Wisconsin four weeks from now so looks most likely your wish will be granted either way assuming an expected recovery.

The reporting I heard was that with the positive confirmed he will be out three weeks. We are scheduled to play Wisconsin four weeks from now so looks most likely your wish will be granted either way assuming an expected recovery.

Yes, but it will still affect the conference standings because Wisconsin is now down to their 3rd string QB for the next three weeks.

Yes, but it will still affect the conference standings because Wisconsin is now down to their 3rd string QB for the next three weeks.
The lefty qb transferred. Who is the second string qb that is out? Coan? Wait! Mertz was second string? Coan will never see the field when Mertz is healthy!

Is 3 weeks the rule or just the expected time to recover? If he doesn't have symptoms what is the action they must take?

Is 3 weeks the rule or just the expected time to recover? If he doesn't have symptoms what is the action they must take?

The way it was reported it sounded like the time period was based solely on whether the original test was confirmed as opposed to being a false positive,.

Last edited:
The way it was reported it sounded like the time period was based solely on whether the original test was confirmed as opposed to being a false positive..

There is a lengthy and apparently authoritative discussion of this topic and the protocols over on the pay board. In short it is confirmed that the three week (21 day) time period is mandatory so if Mertz and now the third string Wolf have confirmed positives they will both be out three weeks.

It appears the initial test is of the rapid result type and the second test for which results are being awaited is of the delayed result type which explains the present uncertainty.

Also the rationale for the mandatory three weeks is apparently linked to cardiac testing that will be conducted after the second week.

Reactions: rogerkim and TheC
There is a lengthy and apparently authoritative discussion of this topic and the protocols over on the pay board. In short it is confirmed that the three week (21 day) time period is mandatory so if Mertz and now the third string Wolf have confirmed positives they will both be out three weeks.

It appears the initial test is of the rapid result type and the second test for which results are being awaited is of the delayed result type which explains the present uncertainty.

Also the rationale for the mandatory three weeks is apparently linked to cardiac testing that will be conducted after the second week.
Good ol' Alaska.... always thinking of us proletariat. Thanks for the update.

The B1G rules are quite conservative and I think they may have been over-informed by the cardiac MRI study out of OSU which they feel bound to, since it’s from a B1G institution. The national experts from American College of Cardiology yesterday published new recommendations which seem to be more reserved in regard to the length of restriction (10 days for a symptomatic or mildly symptomatic with gradual return of activity) and less aggressive on cardiac testing. Of course they are not going to want to take chances for a “throwaway” season anyway, but I think for incidental asymptomatic cases there should be a different guideline in the B1G.

That is the story we should be following. How sick is he? The three people I know who had Covid (two in their 30's, one in her mid 50's) were very ill for weeks. It's been six months and one is having heart problems and two of them are still experiencing "brain fog" so bad they are having a hard time holding down their jobs.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
That is the story we should be following. How sick is he? The three people I know who had Covid (two in their 30's, one in her mid 50's) were very ill for weeks. It's been six months and one is having heart problems and two of them are still experiencing "brain fog" so bad they are having a hard time holding down their jobs.
That sounds awful. This is the silent side of this pandemic that gets lost sometimes in all the focus on death rates.

The B1G rules are quite conservative and I think they may have been over-informed by the cardiac MRI study out of OSU which they feel bound to, since it’s from a B1G institution. The national experts from American College of Cardiology yesterday published new recommendations which seem to be more reserved in regard to the length of restriction (10 days for a symptomatic or mildly symptomatic with gradual return of activity) and less aggressive on cardiac testing. Of course they are not going to want to take chances for a “throwaway” season anyway, but I think for incidental asymptomatic cases there should be a different guideline in the B1G.

Such guidance also wouldn't necessarily account for athletes returning to practice or competitions, which is inherently more stress on the heart than simply a "normal" person returning to "normal" activities.

Did I miss something? 1)Coan 2)Mertz 3)Wolf 4)?????? 5)??????

Not hard to see that it could be very bad for them if the infection spread in the QB room with legitimate reason to be concerned after two QBs test positive.

Not hard to see that it could be very bad for them if the infection spread in the QB room with legitimate reason to be concerned after two QBs test positive.
I was responding to Titanium's comment about being down to fifth string quarterback. I was wondering who the fourth string was?

If several QBs test positive it seems likely that many more players will also test positive. Perhaps UW will have to cancel several games.

Does the BIG have procedures setup to reschedule games?

I was responding to Titanium's comment about being down to fifth string quarterback. I was wondering who the fourth string was?

Well your first mistake is taking anything Wrassler says seriously.

Wisconsin only has 5 QBs on their roster. If Coan, Mertz, and Wolf are all on the shelf, then you're looking at Danny VAnden Boom (walk-on RS Junior) and Daniel Wright (walk-on true freshman).

Maybe some day. I've always tried to not spend too much money on something that clearly is only for me. Though I guess the babysitting role this board plays for me could be considered a perk for my wife.
I think it is only about 30 cents a day if yogurt in on a special offer. :)

If several QBs test positive it seems likely that many more players will also test positive. Perhaps UW will have to cancel several games.

Does the BIG have procedures setup to reschedule games?

Pretty sure games simply become "no contest" if teams do not have enough players to field a competitive team.

Well your first mistake is taking anything Wrassler says seriously.

Wisconsin only has 5 QBs on their roster. If Coan, Mertz, and Wolf are all on the shelf, then you're looking at Danny VAnden Boom (walk-on RS Junior) and Daniel Wright (walk-on true freshman).
I think the number of people who suggest that this is a "throw away season" will make it very difficult for teams that lose a few games early to not quit on the season. Wisconsin is a great team and program but if they lose these next three games due to loss of QB's and other players, they may be mailing it in by the time we play them.

Wait... you get yogurt if you join??!!

Best of all by this time of year it gets delivered frozen.

IMG_0707.jpg

Such guidance also wouldn't necessarily account for athletes returning to practice or competitions, which is inherently more stress on the heart than simply a "normal" person returning to "normal" activities.
Those recommendations are specifically for competitive (not recreational) young athletes. They have separate recommendations for “normal” people and what they call “masters level” recreational or competitive athletes.

Those recommendations are specifically for competitive (not recreational) young athletes. They have separate recommendations for “normal” people and what they call “masters level” recreational or competitive athletes.

Got it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT