ADVERTISEMENT

WLP 2023 Preview - Ohio State

westlotpirates

Gold Member
Just about any team in the country would trade their skill position players for Ohio State's skill position players in a second--and anyone who wouldn't trade their WIDE RECEIVERS for Ohio State's is a fool...

But there are plenty of top-tier program fans who wouldn't trade their TEAM for Ohio State's right now. As usual, OSU can't cover elite WRs in the pass game...but these days, they can't come close to bothering elite quarterbacks in the pocket, either. Throw in the new QB OSU will be breaking in themselves, the spotty performance of the O-Line, and the firm flip in the Big Brother/Little Brother relationship at the top of the East, and...

---Look, it's Ohio State. This team has 5-stars to burn on offense. But if you think Notre Dame, Maryland, Penn State, and Michigan aren't licking their chops here...

Sam, John, and Scuzz/The West Lot Pirates

2023 PREVIEW ARCHIVE
MICHIGAN
OHIO STATE

Their problem the last 2 or 3 years - as we all know - has been defense, especially in critical games. They have as much - or more - on paper talent as anyone along with Georgia and Alabama. Heck, if they even had an average defense last year, they would probably be the defending national champions as the had a 14-point, 4th quarter lead against Georgia in the Playoffs and ended up - again, their crap defense - blowing it and losing 42-41.

OSU is the one team in the country that everyone is scratching their heads over going into this season. If they can put an even decent defense on the field this year, it could be bad news, very bad news - for the rest of the B1G and even country. On the other hand, another terrible defense and they could end up the 3rd or 4th best in the conference.

I think the ND-OSU game will tell us alot as ND should have a really good offense this year. Can OSU shut them down? Keep in mind, OSU had a new DC last year - can't think of his name and supposedly he runs a scheme that takes awhile to understand and catch on to.

As for their offense - might be the best in the country even with their new QB. I've read that former 5-star QB McCord was all set to enter the Portal and Ryan Day talked him out of it. This will be his 3rd year in the system. I found this article forecasting the top 2023 offenses and they're at the top

Their defense, however, is another story. We'll see

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCats
The 2 big question marks in 2023 CF center around 2 teams - USC and OSU - especially OSU.

I travel around the B1G boards and as many have stated, the B1G goes through the OSU defense - or lack of it if they repeat the last 2 to 3 years. Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley might be the 2 best offensive minds in CF, but - so far - their defensive teams leave a lot to be desired. If they figure it out with good defensive staffs, oh Lord, watch out. Both could be Playoff teams this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT