ADVERTISEMENT

Would you trade your foot or knee to bring Nicholson or Berry back?

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
I was thinking about the ultimate diehard fan test: would you “take the injury” to get our injured players back if you could?

Meaning you’d have a broken foot and your own recovery timeline but Nicholson would be back for MSU. Or, you’d have a torn meniscus and have to go through surgery and everything but we’d get Berry back.

Would you do it? Keep in mind: before the slew of injuries, we were dreaming of a Sweet 16 appearance.

Reminds me of a lesser-known Twilight Zone called "The Self Improvement of Salvador Ross."

I don't want to spoil a 60-year-old episode, but here's the central conceit:

Ross slams his fist into the closed door, breaking his hand. This sends him to a local hospital, where his roommate is an elderly man with a respiratory infection. Ross sarcastically suggests that he would like to trade ailments with the old man, who jokingly accepts the trade and they go to sleep. Salvadore turns over quickly and hits his hand. He then realizes it no longer hurts and begins to unwrap it. As he unwraps it, he begins to cough. He gets out of the bed and checks the other man, whose hand has begun to hurt. The old man begs Ross to reverse this (at his age, the hand wouldn't heal properly), but Ross dismisses him.

Ross realizes he has a supernatural power to make trades with other people. In exchange for $1,000,000 and a penthouse apartment, Ross sells his youth to an elderly millionaire. As a result Ross is now very rich, but old. He offers a number of young men $1,000 for each year of their lives they trade to him. In short order, Ross is 26 again.

I will give up my trashed right knee for those guys. I plan to get a new one when I get to 60 or so.

In all truth, the silver lining is that the young guys will get some quality minutes. I hope this can jump start Hunger's development. He always seems a step behind. Mullins has skills, but he needs exposure to major conference play.

Hungry's glass is half full most of the time...

Didn't Preston play pretty well when he was in against Iowa?
I thought he played better than Hunger. Not that much better, though, and Hunger has more skills and a much higher upside so I'd like to see him get the majority of the minutes in the rest of the games. Hunger needs a second wind. He really seems to have hit the rookie wall in these last few games.

I thought he played better than Hunger. Not that much better, though, and Hunger has more skills and a much higher upside so I'd like to see him get the majority of the minutes in the rest of the games. Hunger needs a second wind. He really seems to have hit the rookie wall in these last few games.
Hurlburt, or is he too light weight to play center?

Josey Wales : Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean.

Much of the best coaching advice traces back to the "outlaws" in old Westerns.

I was thinking about the ultimate diehard fan test: would you “take the injury” to get our injured players back if you could?

Meaning you’d have a broken foot and your own recovery timeline but Nicholson would be back for MSU. Or, you’d have a torn meniscus and have to go through surgery and everything but we’d get Berry back.

Would you do it? Keep in mind: before the slew of injuries, we were dreaming of a Sweet 16 appearance.
Depends on if it was temporary, If yes, OK. if more permanent, no

He is just way more naive than a 5th year player should be. A lot of really immature reads.
5th year? Hunger came in with recruiting class of 22 with Martinelli or are you talking Preston?. THis is his first year at this level

Didn't Preston play pretty well when he was in against Iowa?
I would have to foul Blake every time he touched the ball after NU got to the bonus. Any time the ball is not in Boo's hands it's good for the opponent, and Preston is our worst free throw shooter. He looks good defensively and has decent hands, just not for shooting. That's why we'll see Luke near the end of the game.

In the spirit of Hungry Jack, I would trade my left hip. It's gonna be replaced soon anyway.
Alright, apparently we need to set some ground rules because we have some cheaters. (Side note: I hope your surgeries go as well as possible.)

You can’t trade an already faulty or injured foot, knee, hip, et cetera. It has to be your best one, and you’ll likely face a longer recovery timeline given you don’t have a collegiate athlete’s body and training staff to recuperate.

Also, you may never recover. Meniscus tears and broken metatarsals can be tricky, especially in older age.

Do you still take one for the team?

This is not difficult. I’ve had plenty of surgeries. Some, I was told, were quite serious. Always healed quickly and then back to my normal routine. I”ll take one more knee surgery to get Ty back. Same with MN so these guys can finish their business with Boo and the rest of the gang.

We’re talking a chance to make history here. How often can those of us who’ve been around since Tex Winter say that.

I’m serious. Sign me up.

And Go Cats!

GOUNUII

Reactions: CatManTrue
This is not difficult. I’ve had plenty of surgeries. Some, I was told, were quite serious. Always healed quickly and then back to my normal routine. I”ll take one more knee surgery to get Ty back. Same with MN so these guys can finish their business with Boo and the rest of the gang.

We’re talking a chance to make history here. How often can those of us who’ve been around since Tex Winter say that.

I’m serious. Sign me up.

And Go Cats!

GOUNUII
@No Chores could learn a lot about true fandom from you, sir.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
Absolutely not. Which says nothing the quality of my fandom or any one else's. The question just might say something about the ridiculous pedestal on which we now put all things related to sportsballing.

Alright, apparently we need to set some ground rules because we have some cheaters. (Side note: I hope your surgeries go as well as possible.)

You can’t trade an already faulty or injured foot, knee, hip, et cetera. It has to be your best one, and you’ll likely face a longer recovery timeline given you don’t have a collegiate athlete’s body and training staff to recuperate.

Also, you may never recover. Meniscus tears and broken metatarsals can be tricky, especially in older age.

Do you still take one for the team?
Now you are not talking temporary

Now you are not talking temporary
Well it should be temporary.

Sometimes I still have issues with my repaired meniscus, and foot fractures can be tricky.

Hopefully the theoretical injuries heal. But this is perhaps the ultimate “diehard fan test” for a reason

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT