ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldnt't an obvious solution to the parking lot problem be this -

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
We have a lot of important and long term fans who keps us alive in the dark days. They need to be rewarded and should be. Hats off to them.

Alas - The school needs to make money so we can be big time. (Note for clarificiation - I want Northwestern to be Stanford-NotreDame like in football, so being big time is a good thing not a bad thing to me.).

Distribute 75 percent of the tickets in the old way and 25 in the new way and increase the amount for newbies to 1200.

There will be a handful of donors that will suffer from this but at least they will not be the tip of the top cream of the crop types like FEW and Wave.

And 1200 instead of 600 still means you will make a crap load of money....you just won't tick off your loyal veterans.

Sound fair?

Reactions: willycat
Whichever policy they choose, in the end there will be someone who feels left out.

It's a delicate balance of trying to solicit future season ticket holders/fans (and increasing short-term gains) while not alienating those that have already contributed much. I'm pretty sure (at least I'm hoping) that NU is making an informed decision after running through the numbers.

We have a lot of important and long term fans who keps us alive in the dark days. They need to be rewarded and should be. Hats off to them.

Alas - The school needs to make money so we can be big time. (Note for clarificiation - I want Northwestern to be Stanford-NotreDame like in football, so being big time is a good thing not a bad thing to me.).

Distribute 75 percent of the tickets in the old way and 25 in the new way and increase the amount for newbies to 1200.

There will be a handful of donors that will suffer from this but at least they will not be the tip of the top cream of the crop types like FEW and Wave.

And 1200 instead of 600 still means you will make a crap load of money....you just won't tick off your loyal veterans.

Sound fair?
Ah, a possible solution from afar. Not sure if this formula is the total answer but think it's a good start. People who have been ST holder for 10 or 20 years and have contributed the athletic fund as well deserve recognition. I have had my current ST's for over 20 years and my family previously had ST's in the 60's and 70's and also contributed over $50,000 in that time frame, should be rewarded simerarly to a newbie who slaps $600 on the table..

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

Sound fair?

This board is nuts. For years, it's the "Fake by the Lake" as the school tries to raise money for the improvement, constant consternation over everything that NU doesn't do to be "big time" that costs money. But when the consequences of more 'big time' decisions and policies, implemented to make the changes/upgrades we stay we want and need are felt by the fans, you'd think the athletic program was the greediest, money grubbing organization on earth. We put $22 million into Ryan Field over 20 years ago. Every stadium in the Big Ten has lapped us on those expenditures, multiple times. We don't compete facilities wise AT ALL.

You can't have it both ways folks. You can't want us to be on par with even small, private schools like Stanford and Notre Dame, and then bitch and whine when a policy it put forth that rewards those who are most financially invested in making it happen. It's $600 a year for Christ's sake. Sparring with other fan bases on this board, the argument always devolves to the success and affluence of NU fans compared to our rivals. Those rivals are able to fill HUGE parking lots 2x and 3x our size with policies that demand THOUSANDS of dollars in donations to even get in the game to then pay hundreds more for the parking pass itself. Yet for just $600, you have donated enough at NU to get parking RIGHT NEXT TO THE F'ING STADIUM the day of the game. And still fans bitch. Well, those bumpkins with their state school degrees are able to offer up the funds to their programs to get the parking they want, and still have a waiting list of people ready to cough it up and get in line themselves. Yet, even with our tiny stadium and tiny parking lots we have fans bitching and whining about $50 a month in tax deductible donations to the school to get parking close enough to the stadium that costs THOUSANDS of dollars in any other 'big time program'.

This board is nuts. For years, it's the "Fake by the Lake" as the school tries to raise money for the improvement, constant consternation over everything that NU doesn't do to be "big time" that costs money. But when the consequences of more 'big time' decisions and policies, implemented to make the changes/upgrades we stay we want and need are felt by the fans, you'd think the athletic program was the greediest, money grubbing organization on earth. We put $22 million into Ryan Field over 20 years ago. Every stadium in the Big Ten has lapped us on those expenditures, multiple times. We don't compete facilities wise AT ALL.

You can't have it both ways folks. You can't want us to be on par with even small, private schools like Stanford and Notre Dame, and then bitch and whine when a policy it put forth that rewards those who are most financially invested in making it happen. It's $600 a year for Christ's sake. Sparring with other fan bases on this board, the argument always devolves to the success and affluence of NU fans compared to our rivals. Those rivals are able to fill HUGE parking lots 2x and 3x our size with policies that demand THOUSANDS of dollars in donations to even get in the game to then pay hundreds more for the parking pass itself. Yet for just $600, you have donated enough at NU to get parking RIGHT NEXT TO THE F'ING STADIUM the day of the game. And still fans bitch. Well, those bumpkins with their state school degrees are able to offer up the funds to their programs to get the parking they want, and still have a waiting list of people ready to cough it up and get in line themselves. Yet, even with our tiny stadium and tiny parking lots we have fans bitching and whining about $50 a month in tax deductible donations to the school to get parking close enough to the stadium that costs THOUSANDS of dollars in any other 'big time program'.
Sorry Darth but I couldn't disagree more. All some on this board and elsewhere are asking for a is recognition in the form of Tier status or/and Purple Points reflecting their support for the program for 10, 20 or 25 years.

Sorry Darth but I couldn't disagree more. All some on this board and elsewhere are asking for a is recognition in the form of Tier status or/and Purple Points reflecting their support for the program for 10, 20 or 25 years.

Uh, they already do. Points are awarded for both cumulative donations and consecutive years of giving. NU made it very clear about the $600 donation to hit the base Tier (as well as $100 to maintain points). They also made it clear mid-May that it was very likely $600/Tier 1 would be required to get east/west lot parking (giving time for people to donate more by the June 1st deadline). No one who failed to donate $600 should be surprised they didn't get the lots.

Uh, they already do. Points are awarded for both cumulative donations and consecutive years of giving. NU made it very clear about the $600 donation to hit the base Tier (as well as $100 to maintain points). They also made it clear mid-May that it was very likely $600/Tier 1 would be required to get east/west lot parking (giving time for people to donate more by the June 1st deadline). No one who failed to donate $600 should be surprised they didn't get the lots.
Yes but the tiered system superceeds (sp) that. Purple points suddenly don't mean a thing until after you have given $600. So suddenly the $600 means more than everything that went before. Many that lost their place had paid dues to get in there over decades. To be pushed aside in a blatant money grab that really doesn't accomplish much in the grand scheme of things may come back to haunt them. What do they gain? Maybe $50-100k? The budget for the athletic department is likely $50 mill per year (and that does not count the facilities upgrades) So for 0.1% of the budget, they piss off a bunch of long term supporters?

Tell me. Did anyone on this board get a request for donations for the facility upgrades?

Last edited:
Yes but the tiered system superceeds (sp) that. Purple points suddenly don't mean a thing until after you have given $600. So suddenly the $600 means more than everything that went before.

But they had a tiered system before that was $1500 and offered the same thing, guaranteed lot access. They just didn't fill up the lot with $1500 donors. Is the complaint that the $600 number is now too low such that it allows more people to achieve it, but is too high for the long term donors who don't want to give that much anymore?

Recognition for past donations? That money is gone folks. What good are past donations to the fundraising efforts moving forward and the continued spending we want to see in the program to compete? Are you satisfied with the records of the past 10-20 years and don't care now if we win anymore? No, you want the winning to continue. And giving departments wants, NEEDS, the giving to continue. Using a very limited resource, parking, and rewarding those who won't even pony up $50 a month anymore and not rewarding those giving NOW is ridiculous and doesn't make a lick of business sense.

And guess what, you did get recognition during those past 5, 10 and 25 years of giving. It was the points you earned and the parking pass you got during those years. But it's not a lifetime reward.

Many of you act like you did the program a favor by buying season tickets, and that is part of your donation that should be rewarded. That is not the stance of successful programs that have waiting lists for the privilege to buy season tickets. Your reward for those years of buying season tickets were the tickets! Again, those tickets don't just come with a guaranteed parking spot in any individual season, never mind the lifetime right of first refusal many of you seem to be seeking.

Last edited:
Recognition for past donations? That money is gone folks. What good are past donations to the fundraising efforts moving forward and the continued spending we want to see in the program to compete? Are you satisfied with the records of the past 10-20 years and don't care now if we win anymore? No, you want the winning to continue. And giving departments wants, NEEDS, the giving to continue. Using a very limited resource, parking, and rewarding those who won't even pony up $50 a month anymore and not rewarding those giving NOW is ridiculous and doesn't make a lick of business sense.

And guess what, you did get recognition during those past 5, 10 and 25 years of giving. It was the points you earned and the parking pass you got during those years. But it's not a lifetime reward.

Many of you act like you did the program a favor by buying season tickets, and that is part of your donation that should be rewarded. That is not the stance of successful programs that have waiting lists for the privilege to buy season tickets. Your reward for those years of buying season tickets were the tickets! Again, those tickets don't just come with a guaranteed parking spot in any individual season, never mind the lifetime right of first refusal many of you seem to be seeking.
I hope this ploy bits them and you as well in the ass. Think it was 2012 when they initially tried these same strong arm tactics and it failed miserably, letting those who gave as little as $100 west lot passes. If you think these tactics will help win more games, think again. The other conference programs will continue to get the 4 and 5 * players and NU will try to hang in there with their usual 3* recruits. The one and only way NU will get into the top tier of the conference is they are allowed to recruit the same kids that get into OSU, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn.St. and Michigan St.. Face the real facts.

What doesn't make a lick of business sense is alienating extraordinary long ST holders over $600 a year. No one has said a lifetime guaranteed spot, but somehow factoring in both longevity and lifetime contributions. Not that tough.

How can we relate paying the $600 to somehow moving toward big time. $600 isn't a pimple on a tough guys butt in relation to the budget. I wonder if the majority of folks supporting this policy actually every game? Some of you from afar may not notice the way less than capacity crowd on non marquee games or have to sit on the 50 year line next to a group of fricking Minny fans! NU doesn't have local alumni base to support filling the stadium. They need to attract non alum like me who actually go to every game and bring in new fans who may donate something like I do.

I HATE sitting with 50% fans from other teams. I HATE even more tailgating in the West Lot next to Illini fans. Some of you might thing it makes sense and it is fair because folks were "warned", but I think it is a poor treatment of people like Wave and FEW who both claim to be very long time ST holders and consistent donors that have accumulated plenty of donations over the years. If Willy has given $50k over the years, he got jobbed too. Willy may complain about little things, but I see him at every home game and even some away,. I would much rather see Willy in his usual spot is desirable to Me than some smug Illini law school grad impressing his buddies by his spot.

I hope this ploy bits them and you as well in the ass. Think it was 2012 when they initially tried these same strong arm tactics and it failed miserably, letting those who gave as little as $100 west lot passes. If you think these tactics will help win more games, think again. The other conference programs will continue to get the 4 and 5 * players and NU will try to hang in there with their usual 3* recruits. The one and only way NU will get into the top tier of the conference is they are allowed to recruit the same kids that get into OSU, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn.St. and Michigan St.. Face the real facts.

How do you explain Stanford's winning with 4-star kids with great academics. Or our winning championships in 1995, 1996, and 2000 with players that were "no dumber than when we stunk" (MRCat95).

Stop your whining and fork over $600 next time as required if you want a West Lot pass.

What doesn't make a lick of business sense is alienating extraordinary long ST holders over $600 a year. No one has said a lifetime guaranteed spot, but somehow factoring in both longevity and lifetime contributions. Not that tough.

How can we relate paying the $600 to somehow moving toward big time. $600 isn't a pimple on a tough guys butt in relation to the budget. I wonder if the majority of folks supporting this policy actually every game? Some of you from afar may not notice the way less than capacity crowd on non marquee games or have to sit on the 50 year line next to a group of fricking Minny fans! NU doesn't have local alumni base to support filling the stadium. They need to attract non alum like me who actually go to every game and bring in new fans who may donate something like I do.

I HATE sitting with 50% fans from other teams. I HATE even more tailgating in the West Lot next to Illini fans. Some of you might thing it makes sense and it is fair because folks were "warned", but I think it is a poor treatment of people like Wave and FEW who both claim to be very long time ST holders and consistent donors that have accumulated plenty of donations over the years. If Willy has given $50k over the years, he got jobbed too. Willy may complain about little things, but I see him at every home game and even some away,. I would much rather see Willy in his usual spot is desirable to Me than some smug Illini law school grad impressing his buddies by his spot.
Thanks Driver. There just has to be a better way.

And actually guys like you have suggested are not the real problem. The real issue is the log term fans you do not hear from that just walk without saying a word. But enjoy all that that extra $500 brings.

Glades, you are right! And I don't want a west lot pass. Done.
Actually it's gets very tiring to see some posters tell others how to spend there cash. I'm referring to those who don't but Season Tickets and who never donate enough money to secure a parking spot, so their best buddies don't have to lug cases of beer across the alley for them to drink.. These same "free loaders" see no problem with not contributing cash to the university or food and drink to various tailgates, yet eating the food and drinks provided by those they now criticize. I've had enough.

Your attempt to connect fundraising to recruiting and possibly relaxing academic standards is pretty hilarious.

How can we relate paying the $600 to somehow moving toward big time. $600 isn't a pimple on a tough guys butt in relation to the budget.

That's kind of the point... a $600 minimum donation to get priority on premium parking is a pittance compared to the kind of dough required for those privileges elsewhere in the conference.

Actually it's gets very tiring to see some posters tell others how to spend there cash. I'm referring to those who don't but Season Tickets and who never donate enough money to secure a parking spot, so their best buddies don't have to lug cases of beer across the alley for them to drink.. These same "free loaders" see no problem with not contributing cash to the university or food and drink to various tailgates, yet eating the food and drinks provided by those they now criticize. I've had enough.

Nobody is telling anyone how to spend their cash. Spend it however you want.

However, if not getting west lot parking is enough to whine and bitch about it publicly while threatening to completely sever ties with the program, then those people probably should have come up with the $600. If there are extenuating circumstances that prevent donating at that level, it's quite easy to get back into the bottom tier with a $600 donation in future years with plenty of "purple points" in your back pocket to ensure that you get parking where you want it.

Shoot, there's nothing preventing people from pooling together their money to make a donation in a single individual's name to secure at least a parking pass or two so that guy could be the one to lug the beer and food into the parking lot where he's joined by the others.

Nobody is telling anyone how to spend their cash. Spend it however you want.

However, if not getting west lot parking is enough to whine and bitch about it publicly while threatening to completely sever ties with the program, then those people probably should have come up with the $600. If there are extenuating circumstances that prevent donating at that level, it's quite easy to get back into the bottom tier with a $600 donation in future years with plenty of "purple points" in your back pocket to ensure that you get parking where you want it.

Shoot, there's nothing preventing people from pooling together their money to make a donation in a single individual's name to secure at least a parking pass or two so that guy could be the one to lug the beer and food into the parking lot where he's joined by the others.
First, I have never threatened to stop going to NU games. Also, I was referring to a few board members who are making the most noise towards those who have expressed the truth regarding parking passes, you know the ones who don't but ST's pay for parking spaces and bring nothing to tailgates, while consuming what others have provided. The system is unfair and anyone who doesn't think so can just check and see which people were denied a pass. I'll help you, they are long standing ST holders for 10, 20 and more years and have given to the athletic department thousands of dollars over the years. If your OK with that, fine.

First, I have never threatened to stop going to NU games. Also, I was referring to a few board members who are making the most noise towards those who have expressed the truth regarding parking passes, you know the ones who don't but ST's pay for parking spaces and bring nothing to tailgates, while consuming what others have provided. The system is unfair and anyone who doesn't think so can just check and see which people were denied a pass. I'll help you, they are long standing ST holders for 10, 20 and more years and have given to the athletic department thousands of dollars over the years. If your OK with that, fine.

And I was referring to those board members as well. The system is set up such that there are multiple ways to get around it if you want (pool together to make a donation, etc.). And, if the west lot parking is so important, it sure seems like those individuals could/should find some way to get to at least get to the minimum tier, no? As has been demonstrated multiple times, a $600 donation for premium parking is a rock-bottom bargain in the world of modern-day BCS/P5 college football.

The school can't do anything about what you're deeming "freeloaders" and not sure how the parking system has any impact on or ramifications on how tailgates are run (aside from some maybe having to move to new lots).

There just has to be a better way.
There_503ba9_5563974.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT