ADVERTISEMENT

Wow: Brohm staying at Purdue

Good for him.

Less good for the rest of the Big Ten. (I didn’t mind Hope or Hazell.)

Congrats to Boilers fans.

Reactions: drewjin
Good for Purdue. I fear though the arrogance is going to ooze out come our 2019 meeting though. I had enough of those guys with the whole Hunter Johnson saga then the lead up to our opening game. For a team that hasn’t met/exceeded expectations in over a decade, they sure were a cocky bunch.

Good for Purdue. I fear though the arrogance is going to ooze out come our 2019 meeting though. I had enough of those guys with the whole Hunter Johnson saga then the lead up to our opening game. For a team that hasn’t met/exceeded expectations in over a decade, they sure were a cocky bunch.

You would be too if you were in possession of the largest drum in the world.

It is just too soon. He has made too many promises to too many people and especially the young men he has been coaching. He is one of those guys who has some actual scruples and good for him. I wish him the best except against NU.

I agree. In 4 years he may be Mr Right and Mr Right Now for Louisville after posting continuous success. Purdue stepped up to keep him.

I recall some folks espousing certainty that he was gone and calling folks that weren’t sure about that “delusional”. Now he might still end up going there to be fair, but I would just like to point out that darn near nothing is certain in CFB, including our potential victories over Rutgers and Illinois (or Akron...)

Interesting to read some of the sour grapes comments on the Louisville line. Good for Brohm for having the integrity to finish what he started. With Frost, Brohm and Co., I think the Big West is about to get a whole lot more interesting the next couple of years.

Good for Purdue. Hope we keep winning against him.

But it's clear that he's generated excitement that Purdue hasn't had in a while; he's doing a great job of recruiting there, and we're going to be facing some more stout teams as he continues to leave his imprint there.

Not surprised. On an earlier thread, I said

He has Purdue moving up. His recruiting is also on an upward trend. Has a lot going for him at Purdue, and Louisville's whole athletic department is a steaming hot pile right now.

If Purdue matches the $, even though he's a Louisville alum, I think he's better off where he is right now.

Good for Purdue, and good for the Big 10. They will be a tough out in the future

I recall some folks espousing certainty that he was gone and calling folks that weren’t sure about that “delusional”. Now he might still end up going there to be fair, but I would just like to point out that darn near nothing is certain in CFB, including our potential victories over Rutgers and Illinois (or Akron...)
Right you are - and I even remember who they are! Wonder whether they will admit they were wrong, which would be a first. Amusing!

Reactions: IGNORE2 and drewjin
Interesting to read some of the sour grapes comments on the Louisville line. Good for Brohm for having the integrity to finish what he started. With Frost, Brohm and Co., I think the Big West is about to get a whole lot more interesting the next couple of years.
Make that read 'Frost, Brohm, Fleck and Co'. Fitz should be considered part of 'and Co', since he is already making the B1G West interesting.

I agree. In 4 years he may be Mr Right and Mr Right Now for Louisville after posting continuous success. Purdue stepped up to keep him.

If the reports on his salary are true, it's going to take a pretty big fish to get him away. Who knows what the state of the Louisville program will be in four years?

Not that I’ve seen, but they supposedly went to $6 million while Louisville was around $5 million. Money talks.
Thanks, Just suspicious of these things when there has been no official announcement from the school.
If this is true, makes no sense to me that Louisville would offer LESS money than Purdue. Is that how you lure a coach?

Thanks, Just suspicious of these things when there has been no official announcement from the school.
If this is true, makes no sense to me that Louisville would offer LESS money than Purdue. Is that how you lure a coach?

Louisville probably gambled that they could bring him home at a lower salary. And, yes, Brohm issued a statement that he’s staying.

Louisville probably gambled that they could bring him home at a lower salary. And, yes, Brohm issued a statement that he’s staying.
Deal was 95% until Purdue came in with $6M in the last few days. $6M and whatever other goodies he got is a complete overpay by Purdue at this stage. May end up working out awesome for them, but as it stands a crazy offer that no school would/should match, imo.

Reactions: drewjin and zeek55
Deal was 95% until Purdue came in with $6M in the last few days. $6M and whatever other goodies he got is a complete overpay by Purdue at this stage. May end up working out awesome for them, but as it stands a crazy offer that no school would/should match, imo.
Yeah at this point, $6 million a year is basically paying for a team that will win 10+ games more than 50% of the time and 7-9 games the other 50% of the time..

At this point, all we know about Brohm is he's started to significantly increase the quality of their recruiting at the high end, and that he's had a pair of 6 win bowl seasons with 1 bowl win so far while there. He had a great 3 years at Western Kentucky which has fallen off since he left.

So it's possible that he manages to meet expectations at Purdue, especially as their recruiting uptick impacts on-field results, but to win 10+ games regularly is not a given.

Seriously, is any football coach worth $6m (and more) to any school? Do they produce income well in excess of that to cover this expenditure and support the football program? If so, then I suppose so. If not, what the heck are we doing?

Seriously, is any football coach worth $6m (and more) to any school? Do they produce income well in excess of that to cover this expenditure and support the football program? If so, then I suppose so. If not, what the heck are we doing?
Fitz's results are starting to approach that range. [I think Fitz is now clearly worth at least as much as Ferentz in the $4-5 million a year range based on results over the last 4-6 years.]

You have to think about it in terms of revenue that the football program produces, and the most important part that's variable these days are donations, ticket sales, licensing/apparel sales. TV money is non-variable, so that's not relevant. Impact on ticket sales can measure in the few million dollar range.

But the lion's share is donations to the AD and University generally.

If we go to the Rose Bowl, that's worth tens of millions of dollars in exposure for the program, and it will likely lead to tens of thousands of Northwestern alums being more charitable towards the University as a whole.

It's hard to really give precise amounts, but for a University like ours with a very wealthy alumni base, it can measure in the $50-150 million range boost over a year or two.

Just having a team that goes to bowls consistently is also good for generating donor good will.

And for us, the results are clear, would fundraising have been this easy for the $270 million palace on the lake or $120 million for W-R without success at the programs?

Overall, the AD has raised $440 million in under 5-6 years.

Over the next 4-6 years, I think the goal will be to raise another $300 million for the stadium renovation/rebuild. That's where we need success. Going to the Rose Bowl makes that discussion way easier.

Seen coaches issue statements before then jump ship. Yeah, it's likely a done deal, but a school announcement would be good to clarify here, imo.

You could pay Nick Saban $50 million and he'd still be a bargain.

I don’t know that integrity is the right word. He leveraged into a 50% raise and that, along with a perception that the Louisville rebuild was a bigger lift than some imagined were probably the biggest factors. That being said, i am shocked by the decision. Perhaps he has aspirations for a bigger job and perhaps at some point he’ll get it but I must say that I think we are getting to the point where he is being overrated. I think he has done a nice job uptiering the talent at Purdue and believe he has a creative offensive mind but I don’t think he is as good a head coach as he is being made out to be. What has he really done that is so special? He upset OSU but ended up 6-6 with a very up and down season. Nice job but does that warrant the superlatives that some attribute to him? How is he any different than a guy like PJ Fleck?

I don’t know that integrity is the right word. He leveraged into a 50% raise and that, along with a perception that the Louisville rebuild was a bigger lift than some imagined were probably the biggest factors. That being said, i am shocked by the decision. Perhaps he has aspirations for a bigger job and perhaps at some point he’ll get it but I must say that I think we are getting to the point where he is being overrated. I think he has done a nice job uptiering the talent at Purdue and believe he has a creative offensive mind but I don’t think he is as good a head coach as he is being made out to be. What has he really done that is so special? He upset OSU but ended up 6-6 with a very up and down season. Nice job but does that warrant the superlatives that some attribute to him? How is he any different than a guy like PJ Fleck?

I think Brohm has kept Purdue extremely competitive in his first two years in almost every game. In addition to the 6-6 record in both seasons, the largest loss margins were Michigan (lost 28-10 in 2017) and Minnesota (41-10 in 2018). Here are the other loss margins:

2017:
Louisville - 7 points
Wisconsin - 8 points
Rutgers - 2 points
Nebraska - 1 point
Northwestern - 10 points

2018:
Northwestern - 4 points
Eastern Michigan - 1 point
Missouri - 3 points
Michigan State - 10 points
Wisconsin - 3 points

So while they've played down to some inferior opponents, they've also played up and beaten some quality ones and in many of their games it wasn't even close. One could argue that their only really bad loss against Minnesota this year was a fluke possibly due to speculation he would be leaving.

I'll be worried about Purdue as long as he's there.

Reactions: RhabdoWildcat
Congratulations to Purdue for doing what was necessary to keep him. If they have to start over again, chances are good that they weaken themselves and depress the program.

The duh-OSU upset is a huge statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT