ADVERTISEMENT

WOW! Deuce Wallace decommits

Geez, this sucks big time! The only silver lining is it happened in April and not next January. Losing guys to Vandy, this is bad. Did he just get an offer? Sorry, but this isn't like Alabama or Oregon swooping in at the last minute.

You have GOT to be kidding.

If this is true and our coaches cannot see through stuff like this, we truly have a problem.

How is this the coaches' fault? Welcome to big time college recruiting.

Not terribly surprising, but at the same time, he seemed pretty confident in his commitment to NU. I'm sure you guys will replace him without a problem.

"How is this the coaches' fault? Welcome to big time college recruiting."

Well, maybe they dodged a bullet (almost), and granted they're dealing with just slightly post-adolescent kids, but still, the guy you get to lead off your class, the first commit who in many ways sets the standard--maybe you should do a better background check? The coaches are mature men in their forties, fifties and sixties and should have a bit more insight into the psychology of their recruits than to be made fools of by some 18 year old dude.

Pure speculation: Deuce has the opportunity to play right away at the 19th ranked University in the country instead of the 13th. Doubtful that would be the case at NU, but shouldn't coaches see through that--that a kid wants to play as a freshman or a sophomore and doesn't have the opportunity here? I'm skeptical about anyone named "Deuce."

Please this isn't on the coaches. The kid is simply a flake. He tweeted in all bold letters committed just a couple weeks ago and has been actively recruiting for NU. The current system allows for kids to not live up to their word and we should be happy that he did this early in the process, rather than some of our last minute surprises these past few years.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by stpaulcat:

Pure speculation: Deuce has the opportunity to play right away at the 19th ranked University in the country instead of the 13th. Doubtful that would be the case at NU, but shouldn't coaches see through that--that a kid wants to play as a freshman or a sophomore and doesn't have the opportunity here? I'm skeptical about anyone named "Deuce."
He actually has a 4* QB, whose dad is the OC of the Eagles ahead of him right now.

"He actually has a 4* QB, whose dad is the OC of the Eagles ahead of him right now."

Well, then, WTF??

Let's not think of it as a decommit.

Instead, let's consider that Northwestern likes the other QBs on the board quite a bit, and, indeed, that NU chose to drop a Deuce.

Looks like NU has a real chance to land an All Time QB next year. Between Thorson and the next guy, deuce will be relegated to clipboard duty. He's better served running away from angry SEC dmen.

"Please this isn't on the coaches."

Have to disagree. Flake or no flake, need to be a bit more discerning.

"Instead, let's consider that Northwestern likes the other QBs on the board quite a bit, and, indeed, that NU chose to drop a Deuce."

Oh! You mean we really are in the same league as Harbaugh....WOW!!

Originally posted by pawildcat:
Is anyone else getting slightly annoyed with this whole recruiting process? Wake me up when it's signing day.
+1. Let's just wish the young man well and move on.

Good luck to Deuce. For some 18 year olds, the attraction of playing close to home is powerful. We will find a good one to replace him...

He has had a Vandy offer for a while and had just visited Vandy prior to committing to NU. I realize these are 18 year old kids but given the circumstances Deuce and his parents come off like complete goofs in this instance. I have kids and my oldest son is 18 right now. I know how flaky they are at this age but the one thing I don't let him get away with is quitting something he has already started or to go back on a commitment he makes. That is a life lesson they must learn and unfortunately I am reminded every day that most parents don't see it that way.

Originally posted by stpaulcat:
"Instead, let's consider that Northwestern likes the other QBs on the board quite a bit, and, indeed, that NU chose to drop a Deuce."

Oh! You mean we really are in the same league as Harbaugh....WOW!!
No. I was just making a poop joke to help get over the idea that NU was spurned for Vandy.

i hope Wallace finds the fit he's looking for at Vandy. Good luck to him.

I don't know, maybe he really did like NU and was amped up about the school after visiting. They're are a lot of good selling points with us, and it's hard to go wrong if a guy chooses to play football at NU. But that said, he's from Tennessee, which is very different in a lot of ways (especially in terms of culture and climate) from Evanston, Illinois. Maybe after a lot of thought, he just realized he'd be more comfortable closer to home, at another great academic school, in another strong football conference, where his friends and family could more easily come to see him play. He's made his decision, and I wish him the best at Vandy and in life.

Beetle, this probably the case. Had he taken a week to cool off after the first visit, he might not have ever committed in the first place. My guess is his last visit was to see if he still felt the same and apparently didn't.

St. Paul- the coaches don't have a crystal ball. The only crystal boy around these parts belongs to Corbi for correctly predicted an Urban quick verbal. My crystal ball is fuzzy, but I will give you a prediction, this will NOT be the last decommit in this class. It happens to just about to everyone, Miami had about 20 last year and coaching staff didn't change. It is the nature of a very screwed up process.

So to me, move on and be thankful this didn't happen later in the process. The other question is , Corbi who you got replacing Deuce. I got Johnson for 2017 and he'll be the highest rated recruit we ever sign. Of course, we need to win at least six games this year to feel confident for my crystal ball. Who in 2016? Bet it happens fast.

Seriously? You're going to put a decommitment on the coaches, especially when the kid visited twice within a month and had started recruiting on our behalf? Because they didn't have a crystal ball or something?

Your right gcg, this one can't be on the coaches. The real culprit here is the stupid verbal commitment crap. Stop it and institute a rule that when a kid says he is committing, then have him sign on the dotted line immediately. Maybe give him a 7 to 10 day cooling off period but after that, unless a school gets put on probabtion or a head coach leaves he is tied into his LOI.

The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of society, starting with the coded messaging in Teletubbies he viewed as a toddler about it being okay to break commitments and ending with the fall from grace of contemporary role models such as Justin Beiber.

Originally posted by Hungry Jack:
I wonder if this is not the final chapter of the "Deuce Wallace Goes to Play Football" story.

Best of luck to Deuce!
Wait until Tennessee offers. My bet is he'll flip again for the chance to play closer to home at his "dream school". Of course, God will be involved again in the whole process.

C'mon. You can have multiple "dream" objects in your life.

For me:
Kate Upton
Salma Hayek
Tia Leoni
Diane Lane

My specific desire for each of these individuals depends on my mood that day. Voluptuous sex kitten? Kate Upton! Sophisticated femme d'un certain age? Diane Lane is my dream gal! Vulnerable, complex being with gentle, longing eyes? Tia rules my sleep! Latina matriarch to rule my world? Salma Hayek, I bow to you!

If he had an offer from Vandy prior to committing to NU, then this is on the kid and his immaturity - I'm indifferent to him/glad he's gone. I have no doubt Fitz only accepted the commitment after reading him the riot act/don't commit until you're sure, etc., I don't think our coaches have any blood on their hands with this one. Glad the kid at least had the courtesy to do this now instead of in December or next January.

I'll reserve my criticism for the coaching staff until we see how aggressively (and how well) they replace him.

Deuce had the Vandy offer Feb. 26 when he unofficially visited, a little more than 2 weeks before he committed to NU. So if Vandy was his "dream school", it is a little odd that he didn't accept while he was in Nashville.....................

Gk wrote: "Of course, God will be involved again in the whole process."

God loves all of his children('s schools), so he can't make up his mind either. Kind of a pickle.

PAWildcat: I am with you. There is no fault at all related to the coaching staff. There is no fault at all on the kid...a Junior in high school. I don't envy college coaches given this craziness...but truth be told, I feel more for the high school kids with a lot of talent.

I was surprised when he committed so early, and not so surprised when he decommited (nearly as early).

Regardless, I wish him all the best. I hope the extra time allows our coaching staff to find the next Schnur / Kustok / Basanez / Oliver / Alviti / Thorson who actually wants to *be here* and play for NU.

You're right, everyone dodged a bullet here. I remember being a junior in high school when decision making was involved in choosing a college. We took it seriously. We deliberated. One chooses a college so as to be trained to make even better decisions. Northwestern's mission is to educate students to make good decisions in life. What kind of decisions will a player make on the field if they can't make an "on the fly" decision about which college to attend. Bullet dodged. What kind of college is appropriate for someone who inherently has difficulty making decisions, or lets God make them for him? In this case, hopefully Vanderbilt.

I don't believe this was the fault of the coaches (nor the kid), however, in some perhaps small way they were complicit in this decision making debacle. Is it the system? Is it the pressure?

This is on the young man. I hope he enjoys being a black & gold pinata for the SEC defenses he is going to face.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT