ADVERTISEMENT

Wrassler's Suggestion is to delay college basketball till spring!

I was in favor of not playing at all. Not sure where I stand now. But you do realize that the vaccination process is going to take a really, really long time right? And that’s not a political opinion. That’s just logistics.

Reactions: Titanium999
I was in favor of not playing at all. Not sure where I stand now. But you do realize that the vaccination process is going to take a really, really long time right? And that’s not a political opinion. That’s just logistics.
Agreed! But the hoops players may get the vaccine first! Like us older folks!

Just heard Dr. Fauci state the the vaccine should be available to all in April or May.

Just heard Dr. Fauci state the the vaccine should be available to all in April or May.

Indeed. But the availability of a vaccine is not the same as the delivery. I’m surprised some people haven’t gamed this out. Say the goal is herd immunity, and say the number is 70% of the population (that % is just a theory). Say we’re talking about 90-95% effectiveness rate. We’d have to jab 260,000,000 Americans. And then jab them again three weeks later for the second part of the two-part vaccine. That’s over 500 MILLION doses. Which need to be properly transported across the country and stored. Then we need to find an organized system for apportioning the doses and administering them so it’s not a free-for-all (Vietnam Draft style lottery?). Then we need to track who has gotten it. But to do that, we still need to convince 260,000,000 Americans to agree to take it — at a time when 2/3 of the country is currently saying they won’t be an early adopter — AND we need them to show up three weeks later for the booster or it was all for naught. I’m no expert, but I’m guessing this will probably be the greatest logistical feat the US has faced since WWII. And it will take a good amount of time to see it through. Like, the whole year.

All of which is to say, I wouldn’t pin the decision of whether to play or not on a vaccine.

Last edited:
Indeed. But the availability of a vaccine is not the same as the delivery. I’m surprised some people haven’t gamed this out. Say the goal is herd immunity, and say the number is 70% of the population (that % is just a theory). Say we’re talking about 90-95% effectiveness rate. We’d have to jab 260,000,000 Americans. And then jab them again three weeks later for the second part of the two-part vaccine. That’s over 500 MILLION doses. Which need to be properly transported across the country and stored. Then we need to find an organized system for apportioning the doses and administering them so it’s not a free-for-all (Vietnam Draft style lottery?). Then we need to track who has gotten it. But to do that, we still need to convince 260,000,000 Americans to agree to take it — at a time when 2/3 of the country is currently saying they won’t be an early adopter — AND we need them to show up three weeks later for the booster or it was all for naught. I’m no expert, but I’m guessing this will probably be the greatest logistical feat the US has faced since WWII. And it will take a good amount of time to see it through. Like, the whole year.

All of which is to say, I wouldn’t pin the decision of whether to play our not on a vaccine.
Wow! Lots of dynamics!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT