ADVERTISEMENT

XFL and USFL finalizing merger

Um....football already has a minor league tied to the universities.
The legacy of these spring leagues already draws cynicism from fans...with the advent of NIL, you stand to make literally millions more playing for a college program than you do for one of these leagues now, so even if the semi-pros had a shot at attracting guys who honestly don't want to play school...that value proposition is basically out the window.

One thing that the spring leagues do have going for them now: widespread legalized gambling. With the 8-team XFL, you could basically do a $10, four-way parlay on every game in a weekend and win $100+ with very little risk.

Reactions: CatManTrue
The legacy of these spring leagues already draws cynicism from fans...with the advent of NIL, you stand to make literally millions more playing for a college program than you do for one of these leagues now, so even if the semi-pros had a shot at attracting guys who honestly don't want to play school...that value proposition is basically out the window.

One thing that the spring leagues do have going for them now: widespread legalized gambling. With the 8-team XFL, you could basically do a $10, four-way parlay on every game in a weekend and win $100+ with very little risk.
Sharp, succinct analysis. Both points.

Spring football is today's greyhound racing. No one really cared about dog racing, but they sure liked to gamble.

• Haha
Reactions: CatManTrue

These have never been designed as an alternative to school; colleges are the minor league.

A better analogy is that SUXFL is independent baseball, where the guys are hanging around hoping to be noticed by a scout.

You could never skip the college football breeding ground unless the NFL invested in it, which NFL teams would never do because player development is currently free. Whereas a high school kid can be largely ready for the NBA strictly on athleticism, that doesn’t apply in the NFL, where most athletes require years of NCAA style lifting and strength and nutrition programs (except NU, which cut its entire staff five years ago, the evidence will show).

Related, it’s a shame nobody publishes odds on the Schaumburg Boomers or the Chicago Dogs.

I actually watched some games last Spring and I found myself entertained by some pretty good football.

A better analogy is that SUXFL is independent baseball, where the guys are hanging around hoping to be noticed by a scout.
That's what I was thinking. It's also, on rare occasions, an incubator for people who cross over from other sports after their NCAA eligibility is gone. Former MLS defender turned USFL kicker turned Dallas Cowboy Brandon Aubrey is the most recent example.

Thanks guys. Been having a tough week after I found one former teammate passed away, and another is winning his fight against cancer.

This thread made me laugh and think about the USXFL in a new way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT