ADVERTISEMENT

Yet Another Illini Transfer (DB Patrick Nelson)

Occasionally someone posts on this board that it would be a good thing for Illinois to be a stronger and more competitive program and a better rivalry for us. I think it is a good thing if we kick their butt every year.
Having them stronger and then kicking their butt every year would be best.

Occasionally someone posts on this board that it would be a good thing for Illinois to be a stronger and more competitive program and a better rivalry for us. I think it is a good thing if we kick their butt every year.
Can't get complacent about Illinois. They're like Minnesota, every so often the surprise you, when you least expect it (that's not a Yogi Berra quote).

Can't get complacent about Illinois. They're like Minnesota, every so often the surprise you, when you least expect it (that's not a Yogi Berra quote).

Nothing that I see at Illinois tells me things are going to get better anytime soon. This ship is sinking quickly.

Nothing that I see at Illinois tells me things are going to get better anytime soon. This ship is sinking quickly.
True, and we are seemingly on the way up, but things happen. For some reason we and Illinois are our rivalry game. Who knows what they might pull out of the hat? NU is not a pull things out of the hat team, we just keep slogging along.

Illinois was the youngest team in the country. You can be damn sure all those freshman will field a better team in 2-3 years.

Illinois was the youngest team in the country. You can be damn sure all those freshman will field a better team in 2-3 years.

I wouldn't be so sure. I am certain they will be as bad if not worse next year.

That’s why I said 2-3 years. They will still suck next year. In 2 or 3 years, they will go bowling.

Ha. You weren't watching the same team I was. They were playing freshman because they had nobody else, not because those freshmen were particularly promising. Their recruiting class this year is pathetic and there is nothing positive going on with the program that will change that anytime soon.

That’s why I said 2-3 years. They will still suck next year. In 2 or 3 years, they will go bowling.
Why? Just because Freshman played? I not so sure the experience this year of getting spanked game after game helps. These aren’t 4-5 star recruits with off the charts raw ability. They are playing because they have no one else at some of these positions. To make a bowl they will need to win at least 3-4 Big games. Who do you expect them to be better than? Do you have faith in their coaching staff to actually put together a coherent scheme that they execute most weeks? Sure they may pull a few upsets, but I just don’t see stellar talent with superb coaching here.

Think of this, the B1G freshman defensive player of the year plays on our very own Cats. He sat out last year to get bigger, stronger etc. We didn’t have to play him last year. We’ll have somebody else next year that steps in for a big contribution the same way. So will just about every other decent team in the conference. Experience is great, but Talent wins. The Lovie’s currently have the lowest rated incoming class In the B1G. They will need a big finish in this cycle to move up. This program is a complete mess.

Reactions: scru

No chance. The current baseline team is already bad, and the recruiting is trending downwards. More likely that Lovie is gone in 2 - 3 years and they have to restart the cycle again. As was said on ESPN Chicago Radio today, Illinois has become the Cleveland Browns of the B1G.

No chance. The current baseline team is already bad, and the recruiting is trending downwards. More likely that Lovie is gone in 2 - 3 years and they have to restart the cycle again. As was said on ESPN Chicago Radio today, Illinois has become the Cleveland Browns of the B1G.
Criticism doesn't get more pointed than that.

That just shows how biased the Chicago media is towards the Fighting Lovie’s. Poor fellas.

I’ve talked about this before, but I think gcg and Florida are dead on, and our success and the Illini’s demise are intrinsically linked. The longer they stay down, and the further down they go, the better it is for NU. Look at the recruiting battles. 24-0 in NUs favor? What if that was 12-12, as a stronger and more consistent Illinois program would likely get to. Those are 12 kids we wanted running around as Pumpkinheads that would make us weaker and them stronger. We don’t offer enough kids (nor can we) to be able to sustain our success with them getting a handful, maybe a big handful, of the kids we want.

We want a better trophy game? I’d like to see trophy games added for Wisky (would probably be their 8th or 9th) and Iowa.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I’ve talked about this before, but I think gcg and Florida are dead on, and our success and the Illini’s demise are intrinsically linked. The longer they stay down, and the further down they go, the better it is for NU. Look at the recruiting battles. 24-0 in NUs favor? What if that was 12-12, as a stronger and more consistent Illinois program would likely get to. Those are 12 kids we wanted running around as Pumpkinheads that would make us weaker and them stronger. We don’t offer enough kids (nor can we) to be able to sustain our success with them getting a handful, maybe a big handful, of the kids we want.

We want a better trophy game? I’d like to see trophy games added for Wisky (would probably be their 8th or 9th) and Iowa.
Illinois isn't the most dominant football state but these last years NU has pulled in the cream of the crop of kids who want to remain in state. I agree that this makes a big difference especially in light of something MRCat95 said about the importance of the skill level of the bottom part of your starting line up being more important than the skill of a few at the top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT