ADVERTISEMENT

You be McCall

mybrotha

Jul 21, 2011
What is the number one thing this offense needs to work on for the upcoming bowl game? My take is getting our very talented backs more involved in the passing game. Your thoughts?

What is the number one thing this offense needs to work on for the upcoming bowl game? My take is getting our very talented backs more involved in the passing game. Your thoughts?
1. Pick plays to get receivers more open
2. Wheel routes for the RBs
3. More superback routes running down the field instead of across it

Generally, 10-15 yard passes.

1. Pick plays to get receivers more open
2. Wheel routes for the RBs
3. More superback routes running down the field instead of across it

Generally, 10-15 yard passes.
Your thoughts are more focused than mine, but we are generally saying the same thing. Great answer!

They need to buy an automatic tennis ball machine and make all the WR's catch 1000 balls every day between now and the bowl game.

Reactions: NUCat320
Sorry if this is being too critical of CT but he needs to practice stepping up into the pocket or some other escape option instead of rolling to the right. Actually, it has become such a tendency that some trickeration could be built off it.

Sorry if this is being too critical of CT but he needs to practice stepping up into the pocket or some other escape option instead of rolling to the right. Actually, it has become such a tendency that some trickeration could be built off it.

I agree with this. Improving Thorson's pocket presence and also improving his reads on the zone read plays. Against Illinois, I can only remember Thorson keeping the ball 1-2 times on the zone read when almost every single time I watched the DE was crashing down on the RB. There were several poor reads by Thorson on these plays. Thorson's strongest attribute continues to be his legs and we need to establish him as a running threat early in the game so that the rbs have more room to operate. If he can improve materially in these areas, the offense will be much more of threat in the bowl game.

Need to change receiver patterns as soon as Thorson rolls out to the right. Seems like they keep running to the sideline until they run out of real estate. Have them curl, cut back inside, something other than everybody just continuing to run out of bounds.

1. Give Vault's carries to Long. find a way to get Vault the pill in the passing game. Why do we have to keep discussing this????
2. Give some of Jackson's 37 carries to Long
3. Give Long at least 10 carries a game. Not that he is better than JJ but he is a luxury out of the backfield that can power run and he has the softest hands on the team. See Herron. No reason to be spending Jackson with 38 touches. We need him for two more years.
4. Boot Thorson to the left in the Bowl game. See Nebraska.
5. Depending upon the opponent, I suspect that McCall should keep focused on running the ball. That's our bread and butter. Maybe run Thorson a bit more between the tackles. Forget about the read option, PLEASE. Why did we do that again against Illinois???? Thorson is thoroughly confused on his read on that play and honestly doesn't get it at this point. Hopefully, that play is now done with for 2015.

How many times in a game do we have to get stuffed on a screen pass? Seems to me the definition of insanity.

They need to buy an automatic tennis ball machine and make all the WR's catch 1000 balls every day between now and the bowl game.
The tennis ball machine works, but it won't matter until the receivers run precise routes. The route running is awful. I wouldn't call passes either after seeing the results after 12 games.

This is why I think that McCall actually has done an amazing job in 2015. He knows that he has one amazing player (Jackson) and does not shy away from giving him the ball 35+ times per game, a quarterback that with a year under his belt will understand reads at a B1G level (excited for the bowl game and next year), and Vitale, Jones, and Carr who will occasionally get open (luck?) and catch the ball.

If I were McCall, after the bowl game, I would hire the best wideout consultant and lock him somewhere in Alaska with the wide receivers and Thorson. I would also get rid of Springer, who apparently has no concept of the importance of body control or route precision to the passing game, which may explain why he didn't cut it even at hapless Indiana.

Watching a replay of the game and noticed a shot of McCall up in the booth, calling plays through a telephone. Did his headset break or something (the two coaches next to him had headsets on), or is he really just that old school?

Watching a replay of the game and noticed a shot of McCall up in the booth, calling plays through a telephone. Did his headset break or something (the two coaches next to him had headsets on), or is he really just that old school?

Usually on a headset.

Need to change receiver patterns as soon as Thorson rolls out to the right. Seems like they keep running to the sideline until they run out of real estate. Have them curl, cut back inside, something other than everybody just continuing to run out of bounds.
The worst possible thing, if a quarterback is rolling right, is for a receiver approaching the sideline to cut left, 'back inside.' Every quarterback is taught to never roll out then throw to the middle, because that's how pick-sixes happen. Just too many bodies to get through before you reach the intended target.

Receivers are taught to roll with the qb, then head deep, back towards the line of scrimmage, or to just start blocking.

Do you really think our coaches haven't thought of these "innovative" techniques?
GCG, you definitely lead the board in 'flip, one-sentence posts critical of another poster's thoughts without adding any actual value.'

On the upside, they are typically only one sentence.

Oh the downside, they really detract from all the insights you do have.

Also on the upside, they tend to project that you think you're smarter than everyone, rather than a few targets.

Also on the downside, they're annoying.

You'd be way more appreciated if you ran everything through the 'does it add insight or opinion?' filter.

Just my (unwelcome) $.02.

10-2!!

Reactions: FeliSilvestris
GCG, you definitely lead the board in 'flip, one-sentence posts critical of another poster's thoughts without adding any actual value.'

Also on the upside, they tend to project that you think you're smarter than everyone, rather than a few targets.

You'd be way more appreciated if you ran everything through the 'does it add insight or opinion?' filter.

10-2!!

I don't see the big deal with his posts. They're succinct, and typically only in response to ignorant or asinine posts.

10-2!!

Ok, I'll be more clear then: putting forth "catch better by practicing catching" and "do push-up's if you drop the ball" isn't exactly groundbreaking. While I agree that the wideouts have been tremendously disappointing for about three years now and would likely benefit from a change in position coach, there's very little chance someone on the message boards has thought of something to improve the wideouts' performances that hasn't been considered by the coaches. I understand it's as much ranting about the receivers as anything, but it's pretty much laughable.

10-2!!
best to put him on ignore. im beginning to wonder what insights he has. He does do a good job of cutting and pasting recruiting info during the offseason but his endless attacks against posters, along with incoherent post makes his comments unitnteresting.

best to put him on ignore. im beginning to wonder what insights he has. He does do a good job of cutting and pasting recruiting info during the offseason but his endless attacks against posters, along with incoherent post makes his comments unitnteresting.

Ironic then that you liked my post on this very thread then, eh?

Reactions: NUCat320
  • Add some pro sets,
  • Add some gap plays, rather than all zone read
  • Double tight
  • Add stretch zone (like Iowa)

• Add some pro sets,
  • Add some gap plays, rather than all zone read
  • Double tight
  • Add stretch zone (like Iowa)
Did I dream it (which is sadly possible, I have no life) or did I see CT take a snap under center on a short yardage play against UI?

I likeTurk's analogy of Jason Wright - Noah Herron. If we are going to run like 40 times in a game then Long should get at least 10. I just think it could be a little shortsighted to wear down JJ that much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT