ADVERTISEMENT

You heard it right: NU's class is ranked EIGHTH in nation

Kentucky and Duke have both won national titles in the last five years led by one-and-dones -- Anthony Davis and Tyus Jones, in fact, were MOPs.

What's a MOP?

I was a MOP. I only saw the floor during mop-up time.

Look at what happened to the UW Huskies last year. Had the #1 pick in draft, couldn't deliver the goods in games, coach fired, top recruits bail, program in upheaval. Can be a bad thing for sure.

Washington went 2-16 last year in the Pac Ten and has not been to the NCAA tournament in eight years. I can see why they fired the coach who had been there, like, forever. The school did not have a quick trigger with him.

Washington went 2-16 last year in the Pac Ten and has not been to the NCAA tournament in eight years.

Actually, 6 years. They lost in the Sweet 16 in 2011.Romar had a good run of 6 Tournament appearances in an 8 year stretch, but ran out of gas and seemed to have crashed and burned last season.

Actually, 6 years. They lost in the Sweet 16 in 2011.Romar had a good run of 6 Tournament appearances in an 8 year stretch, but ran out of gas and seemed to have crashed and burned last season.

Sorry, just miscounted. Thanks.

Sorry, just miscounted. Thanks.

Fair enough. I guess my hypothesis is that the one and done 5* players will not enable a level of consistent program competitive performance that the 4 year 4* players will for a non-blue blood program like NU. That is what I saw with UW.

Keep an eye on Missouri over the next 5 years as they should provide an interesting case study. Not a blue blood, not a recent history of sustained success, and now a roster with at least 2 one-and-dones.

LSU two years ago was another interesting study. How did they do with Simmons and how are they doing now? I don't really know nor do I care enough to do the research. Just running my fingers now.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Fair enough. I guess my hypothesis is that the one and done 5* players will not enable a level of consistent program competitive performance that the 4 year 4* players will for a non-blue blood program like NU. That is what I saw with UW.

Keep an eye on Missouri over the next 5 years as they should provide an interesting case study. Not a blue blood, not a recent history of sustained success, and now a roster with at least 2 one-and-dones.

LSU two years ago was another interesting study. How did they do with Simmons and how are they doing now? I don't really know nor do I care enough to do the research. Just running my fingers now.
DePaul operated this way under Pat Kennedy with guys like Quentin Richardson and Bobby Simmons etc. - maybe not one and dones but early draft entries. I don't think it was at all bad for the program but he certainly wasn't able to meet on-court expectations based on his recruiting. Perhaps the conclusion is, 5 stars, one and dones etc doesn't guarantee success but I don't buy the argument that it would be harmful or that in and of itself prevents success.

DePaul operated this way under Pat Kennedy with guys like Quentin Richardson and Bobby Simmons etc. - maybe not one and dones but early draft entries. I don't think it was at all bad for the program but he certainly wasn't able to meet on-court expectations based on his recruiting. Perhaps the conclusion is, 5 stars, one and dones etc doesn't guarantee success but I don't buy the argument that it would be harmful or that in and of itself prevents success.
Take a look at the program once those guys left and it has been a dumpster fire. I heard that there were shall we say inducements getting those guys there.

Once you have established a program, a one and done might be a finishing touch, but doing it too soon might not work out so well.

Who cares what other Big 10 schools might recruit? NU just had their best recruiting class in its history with 3 4-star players and an emerging big guy. Not a bad first five classes. 4-star players in Law, Falzon, Benson, Rapolas, Nance, Lathon, Kopp, Turner, Gaines. A player who plays like a 4-5 star player in McIntosh. A guy who has realized he has 4-star talent in Lindsey. Solid and athletic 3-star players in Skelly, Brown and Ash. Collins has built a top 20 program with a very high ceiling.

Gaines is only rated a 3* by Rivals and both he, Rap, Turner and Lathon have a 3* composite ranking, as well as Pardon, BMac and Lindsey.

Wouldn't be surprised if the 2 lowest rated players in this class, Lathon and Young, end up being the most impactful players.

Kentucky and Duke have both won national titles in the last five years led by one-and-dones -- Anthony Davis and Tyus Jones, in fact, were MOPs.

But again, I don't think it's a model. Those programs go after the best players in the country, period. More and more of them turn out to be one-and-dones. Are they not supposed to recruit top guys because they're afraid they'll leave after a year? That's just part of the game now. Kentucky (especially) and Duke have adapted to the environment, that's all. They'd love for guys to stay longer, but they're not going to stop recruiting those guys just because they will likely bolt.

Part of the reason why UNC won the NC last season was due to experience and depth.

And that, ironically, came about due to the academic scandal hanging over the school and negative recruiting - which resulted in the Tar Heels still getting very good players, but a notch below what they usually get (so no 1-and-dones).

Don't see why CC and the staff won't land a super blue chip one of these days, but think that landing very good players who stay for 2-3-4 years is the more likelihood for the program's path to making deep runs into the Tourney and beyond.

Again, NU doesn't have any because they can't land them. They've tried -- they offered Okafor, Parker and Ellenson, and Parker and Ellenson even visited. But my point is that if another one came along that could get into NU and was interested, you can be damn sure Collins would go after him. Hard. He recruited those types of guys at Duke and he'd love to do it here. He wouldn't not recruit a kid because he might leave in a year.

And I agree, it's much more like playing a true freshman -- which NU does every year -- than it is a grad transfer.

I don't know that you can say that we tried with Ellenson when the head coach decided it wasn't worth being on campus during his visit.

? I though that was Frank Kaminsky.....

Henry Ellenson was a 2015 Marquette commit and the NU head coach was.......Chris Collins!

Yeah, maybe it was Frank Kaminsky. But, then I could haven't brought up Bill Carmody again.

I think NU ends up 6th. Most of the Big 10 teams are nearly out of scholarships:

Illinois 3 scholarships/0 commits
Indiana 5/4
Iowa 1/2 (Someone gets Creaned)
Maryland 5/2
Michigan 4/3
MSU 4/5 (Bridges likely goes Pro next year)
Minny 5/3
NE 4/1
OSU 5/2
PSU 3/2
PU 5/2
RU 3/0
WI 2/1

OSU, Purdue and MD will likely pass NU given how they recruit. WI, Iowa, NE, RU and PSU will all finish below NU either because they are done or because they don't have highly rated guys left on their offer boards. Illinois will probably fall below NU just because of numbers. Michigan will be very close to NU. So will Minny.
Illinois will give out 4

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT